• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Bismarck - Doing the Sea

Nice progress....just caught up with this. Would it be possible to get an overall photo of the ship as it is now so we can see the size and the finish in the room?

Ian
Thanks mate, I can share some of the photos I took not too long ago - now the ship is waiting to be shipped to Sydney ... :smack:pun intended or not.
Not the best position for the measuring tape, but it says 120cm if you zoom in.

Closeup below. This really is difficult to take photos of given it's size and lack of space.

5.jpg
1.jpg

Cheers,

Laurence

One month on, bit of an update - we are moving back to Sydney, to our own place, no more dodgy and unprofessional real estate agents to deal with. THAT is massive.
On the flip side, many many curved balls thrown at us, but that's life. Truck arrives to pick up our stuff on Thursday morning, then off to Sydney, on the highway for a 3-4 hours drive. I have done that many times now, it's quite a lovely drive, scenery is awesome. I am biased, I love my adoptive country.
My wife and I rented a van a week ago and took some stuff over already. Had to go there to get the keys to our apartment. After having rented it out for nearly 2 years, took it back in a state that required the whole place to be painted - and no whinging ....
Bismarck and the U-69 made the trip on the van. Took some space, but I didn't want to let the removalists manage those precious things.
Latest challenge - bad weather with thunder storms announced for the 17th in Canberra and Sydney .... I hope it won't be too bad.
Well, that was that from here. Hope everyone is doing well and staying safe during these crazy times.

Take care my fellow modelers, talk soon, hopefully internet is up and running very soon at our home after the move. Look after yourselves and your loved ones.

Laurence

I'm very glad to hear your situation has resolved, I'm looking forward to your updates and hope you and your family has a safe and happy holiday season!
Cheers, my friend!

I'm also glad things worked out. That was a great idea bringing the models in the van; I wouldn't trust the movers either. Looking forward to seeing more once you get settled in again.

Right, time for an update - started doing the water. Things have more or less settled with us moving back to Sydney, work is a bit less crazy, so, time to make a start.

Few words around this - the shiny stuff is aluminium foil, the kitchen thing, from the supermarket. I will be using Celluclay, mixed with water and a bit of white glue. The wet mix doesn't go along well with the base as one would imagine, so the al-foil is there for protection.
Starting with a thin layer first, then building up slowly from there, sculpting as needed.

IMG_1833a.JPG

That's the first bit, looks shiny because it's wet. This was yesterday. 24 hours later, it's still not dry. Must be dry 100%, it will go hard and flat. The Celluclay I am using was ordered online, couldn't find that stuff at stores. I have enough to do this dio and more.
I have covered the whole base, time to wait for this to dry. It might take three days or more. Winter is here, can't take this outside, wet, rainy, humid etc. so the only option is to have it inside and allow enough time to lapse. Joy ...
Might have to find something else to work on, otherwise I will get very impatient and that would be bad ....

Thanks for watching,

Laurence

Yes, it sounds like you need to do a small side build between clay applications. Have done a couple of those in the last little while.

It will be interesting to see how it all turns out Laurence!
Thumbs up Lg.gif

Just fantastic Laurence! This will be your best diorama so far! You did a fantastic job on the ship itself and from your past and vast experience with ocean water, I can't imagine this not being a masterpiece! You da man when it comes to ships Laurence!

I sent Lewis Pruneau photos of your other ocean dioramas. He was impressed! Needless to say, I am too!

:notworthynotworthy:notworthynotworthy:notworthynotworthy:notworthynotworthy:notworthynotworthy:notworthynotworthy:notworthynotworthy:notworthynotworthy

Bob

Just fantastic Laurence! This will be your best diorama so far! You did a fantastic job on the ship itself and from your past and vast experience with ocean water, I can't imagine this not being a masterpiece! You da man when it comes to ships Laurence!

I sent Lewis Pruneau photos of your other ocean dioramas. He was impressed! Needless to say, I am too!

:notworthynotworthy:notworthynotworthy:notworthynotworthy:notworthynotworthy:notworthynotworthy:notworthynotworthy:notworthynotworthy:notworthynotworthy

Bob
I am speechless and a bit hypnotized :wow: ... I will certainly try to do my best on this one, have a few ideas but let me tell you, this Celluclay business is just like watching paint dry. Can you believe the darn thing still isn't fully dry yet? I have been taking it out on the balcony, few hours of sunlight everyday and still need more time .... going mad here.

Laurence

Back