• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Colossus-Building the Bismarck-Trumpeter 1/200th

I didn't see that misalignment, but I did notice that two of the horizontal arms on the right next to the searchlight platform seem to be off. The top one looks like it's angling up; the other looks to be angling down. Again, it might be just me.

This doesn't detract from your already outstanding work on this sensational masterpiece!

Good observation, but here's the thing - those arms are at an angle from the center line, not perpendicular and the box I placed the ship on is slightly tilted or the camera was, or both. I examined the situation on a flat, solid surface and it looks ok to me. Thanks for the tip though, always good to check everything twice.
And thanks the compliment too :)

...and thats why I haven't built a large battleship.
:notworthypopcorn:popcornDrinks:
Epic build Lawrence with outstanding results. I was going to get this model but I don't think I will now as the rigging/ railings and detail painting is overwhelming!
You have done a masterful job on this one mate.
Ian
Cheers Ian, hope you are well with all the madness going around in Melb.
I think you would have done a fabulous job on this model mate, you did some big ones in the past, I know the sub as I used it as inspiration for mine. They are comparable in length, not so much in complexity, to state the obvious here, but you could get this done with fab results.

Laurence

What Ian said!!!!!!!!!

Plus, I believe your camera was off slightly! Looks fantastic!

:vgood::vgood::vgood::vgood::vgood::vgood::vgood::vgood::vgood::vgood::vgood::vgood:

Bob

Thanks Bob - yes it was off, my mistake. Currently working on the remaining rigging, will have some photos soon. I will make sure next time the camera will be placed correctly :good:

OK, I think I finished the rigging - difficult to tell, in the absence of the original plans. I can only rely on the information I had been able to obtain, most of which is a bit contradictory, the very few photos of the real deal doesn't show everything with clarity and etc etc etc. Sounds like excuses, really, but I am not unhappy with the result.

IMG_6102.JPG

This is not 100% vertical for the same reason (boxes underneath and maybe even the camera is not perfectly level on the tripod).

1598359112060.jpeg

Tip of the main mast didn't make it, but (almost) everything else did :p:so ....

EZLine, CA glue, scratched anchors, hooks and all sorts, swearing, lost minuscule parts, stuffing up the location of the cables, but it's done.

I got two cranes to do (made a start a while back), handrails on the main deck, very minor bits and pieces and small corrections. Some weathering too.

As always, than you all for watching this and for the kind words.

Laurence

Dude you are your own worse critic. It looks fantastic!
You gotta remember that the rigging would be changed on as need bases, it could change from one week to another right? I think they would or could rearrange the antennas based on atmospherics.

Like Mike said, :tens:

Dude you are your own worse critic. It looks fantastic!
You gotta remember that the rigging would be changed on as need bases, it could change from one week to another right? I think they would or could rearrange the antennas based on atmospherics.

Like Mike said, :tens:

Not impossible, I suppose that could have happened.

As for being my worst critic, yep, true again, that's pretty much applicable to everything I do, always has been.

Thanks for the compliment mate, really appreciate it.

Just awesome Laurence!

I'll bet you had a great time with that rigging??? :bang head:bang head:bang head:bang head:bang head

It's seemingly like everything in this hobby, after that, the next time rigging will be a piece of cake!

When does it go into the water?

Bob

Just awesome Laurence!

I'll bet you had a great time with that rigging??? :bang head:bang head:bang head:bang head:bang head

It's seemingly like everything in this hobby, after that, the next time rigging will be a piece of cake!

When does it go into the water?

Bob

Thanks Bob :notworthy

Great time ? I did when I looked at the result, that's for sure. The "doing it" part wasn't that easy, but I guess you know how it all feels :p:

Next time? If ships in water turns out to be "my thing", there may be a "next time" doing rigging on this scale. If not, well, let's say doing some rigging here and there won't scare me much :bigrin:

As to the water bit, I still have two cranes to do, some handrails and some very minor other bits and pieces. All going well, I think early next week might be possible?

Laurence

Well, with the exception of some paint corrections and some weathering, it's done.

IMG_6108a.JPG

One of the two 12 t cranes showing here and a portion of the handrail on the main deck.

IMG_6117a.JPG

Aft section.

IMG_6114.JPG

Close up of the main mast.

Bit complicated to take decent photos of the whole thing, but I will try.

I will start a new thread with the "water" - I feel this one went on for way too long (since October 2017).

I wanted to thank you all for looking and for your comments and compliments. Very much appreciated.

Laurence

Back