• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Bismarck - Doing the Sea

Been a while, so here's an update.

IMG_2141a.JPG

Celluclay is nice, but it shrinks big time so had to patch along the edges a number of times. Oils dry (finally) then liquitex layer after layer - aiming for some 15 layers or so with some dry brushing in between to give it the 3D depth appearance. Far from over.
IMG_2144a.JPG

Shadows ....

Thanks for watching,
Laurence

Oh my! Just think how many water treatments we've seen where this would be finished. And Laurence says he's just getting started!!! :popcorn

Oh my! Just think how many water treatments we've seen where this would be finished. And Laurence says he's just getting started!!! :popcorn
Yep, well, a good friend of mine told me that I should always aim to do bigger and better than the previous one.

IMG_6256a.JPG

I had this as a starting point, but then the decision was to refocus and make it bigger and better. Four layers of Liquitex have now been laid. Tomorrow is layer 5, 3 hrs dry time, then first dry brushing goes in. Rinse and repeat. Twice. Then we start on the waves, bow, water flowing over the sides, foam, all the rest of it.

Cheers,
Laurence

Five layers of Liquitex followed by first session of dry brushing and accents.

IMG_2148a.JPG

IMG_2150a.JPG

Took these photos in the evening, artificial light doesn't help.

Five more layers of Liquitex, then more dry brushing and accents, then again 5 + 1. Then more work ....

Thanks for watching,

Laurence

The Liquidtex is clear? So you're dry brushing between multiple layers which will create an illusion of depth.
:notworthy
Yes. Liquitex is a high gloss varnish (there are other varieties too), liquid form, can't put a thick layer as it won't dry clear. I am doing one thin layer at a time, 3 hours + dry time, then the next and so on. Five done, then dry brushing begins - 24 hrs dry time (oils), rinse and repeat.

Laurence

Back