• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Big Ugly Fat Fellow 1/144 B-52H Stratofortress

Ok now that it looks like Ed is finished play in my Sand Box ... I'll get back on this ...

ha52b626.JPG

h7a38b9d.JPG

hdc036d7.JPG

Pin marks on the flap area ... I'm trying Green stuff to fill them

Then there were some purdy good sink areas on trailing edge of wing ... :pilot

Thanks Sack ... I'll see what I can get done on this one today ... I must do a little research 1st ... I just painted the inside of the flaps flat white ... Waiting for the dry ... Yep found what I was looking for ... ? Camo or Dark gray ?

hecaa866.JPG

h9f955bd.JPG

Wings ....

hf0ffb98.jpg

Camo .... ?

h7ab79b8.jpg

Gray .... ?

Looking good. They were a regular at the airshow here in Lake Charles, LA. They still fly out of Barksdale. Wicked to watch them take off and land crabbing.

:pilot

Oh nice pin marks & sink marks thar Gerry! Don'cha just love it when ya have ta cover up detail to get rid of them? Looks like a rescribe is in order... :hmmm

The camo job looks kewl! Go fer it!! :evil: (y)

Thanks for the :zen :zen :zen for the sanding ... but it's only a 1/144 think how big the wings are on my 1/72 ... :pilot

Re scribe ... I finally have the right tools for the Job ... just they want the inside of the fuse black ... I don't think you'll see it ... Weird ... :woohoo: on the Camo back during Nam they ran camo ... those may have been G's ... but this one looks like a H ... So Camo-shamo ... :pilot

There was another scheme between those two. Various shades of grey, can't recall the name, Strategic maybe?

Found this on an old post.
There were three B-52 camo patterns in use during the 1989-1992 timeframe.
In 1989 the standard pattern was "Strategic" - 36081, 36118, and 34086 in a
wraparound pattern. There may have been a few "SIOP" - your three greens
(34079, 34159, 34201) over gloss white, but that's pretty unlikely, because
that was about the time the decision was implemented to swtich to a single gray
color. For a brief time, that color was 36081 and Fairchild had some of those
B-52Hs (61-0031, "Destiny Unknown was one). This first monotone gray color was
replaced rather quickly by the current overall gunship gray (36118) color in
use today.
Markings on "Strat" birds were either 36081 on 34086 and 36118 surfaces, 34086
on 36081 upper surfaces or 36118 on 36081 lower surfaces. Tail numbers and
USAF were black.
On overall 36081 BUFs markings were 36118, again except for the tail # and
USAF, which were again, black.
On 36118 BUFs markings were black.
On SIOP aircraft national insignia were full color. The wing star & bar was
50" and the USAF on the upper right wing was 60" high in INSIGNIA BLUE (15044).
Fuselage national insignia were 20". Tail # and "USAF were black.

Looks about right to me. I was at Grand Forks when the Strategic birds started coming in.

Interesting...

A buddy's dad flew P-38s & B-17s in WWII, B-29s in Korea,B-47, B-36s and then the BUFFs when they first took flight over Nam.

Time for a Update ... this is the first time I've built 3 or four models ... at once I can't even keep up with myself ... So here's where I'm at on the Buff ... Thanks MP for the sanding :zen :zen :zen

h9ac6b70.JPG

hdf90ee0.JPG

I camped the two halves together and lit them dry ....

h7f23a2a.JPG

h124435a.JPG

h7b38156.JPG

I sanded them down ... they look Ok .... :skipper :woohoo:

h47c8787.JPG

And I Cemented the stabilizers now I just need some Flat black spray to do the inside if The Fuse Black ... not sure why ... just what the destruction say ... :woohoo: :pilot

I didn't get much done ... last night so I painted the inside of the wheel wells with Flat white paint tonight I'll try to get the inside masked & painted Black ...

h03b331e.JPG

h075c1de.JPG

That is all ... :D

Now why on earth would they paint the interior black? I can see white in the wheel wells to help see oil leaks, etc better :hmmm Gerry, ya might wanna check your references before ya commit...

Back