• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Big Tiffy

Paulw

I finally have the Tiffy. Airfix's latest offering to the masses. tons of modeling fun in a box that only can be described as coffin-esque. I am very pleases with this kit so far. I have only managed to get a bit of the pit and wing spars completed, this thing is very detailed and it seems to go together fairly well.

The instruction book resembles 3D cad stuff, I don't know but it may actually be, and is printed on a heavy paper. Since I am not really familiar with Airfix kits I really can't be a judge on the quality but I like it so far.

You can display it with every nook and cranny open to the public or one of the three ways depicted in the manual.

Four schemes are available OOB.

It's a bit of a chore but I seem to have done ok with the pit cage so far. Actually it does fit pretty good but there may be a couple of areas that you may have to change the order in the way some things are assembled. Some internal pieces may best be installed before the complete frame is assembled.

I have also purchases the how too build magazine from Airfix and Mr. Green. More on that later.

Very nice Paul if I ever get past my OOB trouble .... I've been looking at this one in the Airfix Catalogue .... I will be watching for the Quality of this Kit but ... I'm already impressed .... I have the :popcorn on the front burner .... :pilot

Very interesting, like this. Man you could add a lot to this things. Looks like it's going to be heavy also. :popcorn

Does yours have the first run canopy with the small crack or the second run that corrected the cracking problem?

Cheers,
RichB

After another week of family and friends either passing or in trouble I finally got close enough to call the pit done. There are a couple of things that you may want to real through from the Airfix publication regarding this kit before you tackle it because it sure made things easier to go with. This is not a difficult kit really, its just real busy in the assembly and painting. Because I am not going through with showing this with all the details I left a bunch of things unpainted or no attention like the oil tank and some of the frame tubes.

I lost a piece of the throttle quadrant so some yard sale sign and .040 rod you don't really notice it is missing (yeah right). The majority of these had either black or silver aluminum tubing for the interior abut basically these things took a horrid beating in their missions and not only that but the Napier Sabre was a 2400 to 2700 monster that took real finesse to maintain.

I still have a couple more decals to apply so there you have it, a whole two and a half weeks of cockpit construction.

Yes, Chef and SAD, I know the stick isn't there yet.

Go get them Paul ! ! ! What a good looking cockpit (y) (y)

Don't leave too much of it out. I'll probably use this as a reference to build one of mine . Most likely the 1/48 version. :blush:

Is there a rime or reason to the black or silver paint ? I have yet to hear one .

Cheers, Christian B)

Back