• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Bf 109G-2 Trop

Bf 109G-2 Trop - Pin Wash

Nice work Ian, I like the surface detail on that kit and the pin wash shows it off quite nicely.

Matrixone

Sincere thanks everyone, really appreciate the support. Winter arrived over the last few days here, so 'real world' work will slow down accordingly, bad for income, but good for playing with bits of plastic. I have a meeting this morning, then nothing diaried until Sunday morning...

...progress may happen !!

Ian.

This evening I sealed it all with (another) brush-coat of Klear/Future. Next decals.

AFN

Ian.[/color][/quote]

I assume you use a wide bristle brush to brush on the Future?

Tim

I assume you use a wide bristle brush to brush on the Future?

Tim

That's right, Tim. Never sprayed Klear/Future, I've used 12mm chisel and a #6 round head sable brushes for as long as I can remember (not the same ones, obviously !!).

Did about 90mins decalling today, will finish tomorrow.

Ian.

Bf 109G-2 Trop - Decals

Nice work on the decals Ian!

After looking at your pictures the upper wing crosses look too narrow or slightly undersized, did the kit get it wrong or did the particular aircraft you are modeling have non-regulation markings? This is something I have seen on other 109's but it was not very common.

Matrixone

Bf 109G-2 Trop - Decals

Nice work on the decals Ian!

After looking at your pictures the upper wing crosses look too narrow or slightly undersized, did the kit get it wrong or did the particular aircraft you are modeling have non-regulation markings? This is something I have seen on other 109's but it was not very common.

Matrixone

Just as they came in the kit, Les. I can live with them !!

Ian.

Bf 109G-2 Trop - Decals

Ian,
After again looking at the photograph you posted a few pages back of the 109 with the squiggles on the upper surfaces the wing crosses look a little bit thicker than the kit decals.
Still, nice work being done on this one! (y)

h7845480.jpg

Matrixone

Bf 109G-2 Trop - Decals

All metal, Bob.

Have to admit I'm VERY nervous about the next step... I's one of my very best paint jobs, I'm terrified of scr*w*ng-the-pooch !!

:S

Ian.

Bf 109G-2 Trop - Decals

Make sure you got a good hard seal coat and use something that can be cleaned up. :popcorn
:zen

You gonna nail it! (y)

Bf 109G-2 Trop - Decals

Make sure you got a good hard seal coat and use something that can be cleaned up. You gonna nail it!

Thanks Bob - I've sealed the decals that are going to be masked with yet another brushed coat of Klear/Future. It's a public holiday here today so no 'me time' until tomorrow, which is good as the Klear/Future has longer to harden. I'll be using enamel paint so there's going to be a thinner soaked Q-Tip standing-by at all times !!

Stay tuned.

Ian.

Bf 109G-2 Trop - Squiggles update

Non-photo update:

Well that didn't go well. I simply couldn't maintain a consistency of pressure, flow of paint and therefore width of line. Three practice goes and two 'actual' sessions and then had to wipe the whole thing off.
:bang head But as nobody ever told me how to give-up, I went to my 'Plan B' and simply hand-painted the 'wandering snails' with a signwriters brush like this one:

he0aa53f.jpg

No I didn't get the soft edge to the green that I would have liked, but I did get consistency and great colour coverage. Now the process doesn't just stop there because once it dries & cures I'll rub-it-back with 3600/4000/6000grit Micro-polishing cloths which will fade it right back, even chip the green a little making it appear as a worn and weathered-out tone.

I know it sounds like I'm making this up as I go along, but 'Plan B' has been very thoroughly thought-out and was pretty d*mn close to being 'Plan A'.

Bare with me, progress pics at the end of the week.

AFN

Ian.

Back