• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Bf 109G-2 Trop

Ian,
That's a great paint scheme you chose.

As for the propeller blades the front of the blades would not show that much paint eroded off of them, the leading edges of propellers blades of aircraft operated in the desert would often show paint worn away but the rest of the propeller front usually held up pretty well, the tips of the blades could sometimes show some metal but not very much.
Like in the picture you posted of the 109 you are modeling the back of the propeller blades can (and usually did) have a massive amount of paint missing from the back of them.
What I would do is simply spray more RLM 70 on the front of the propeller blades on your model leaving the tips as they are.
When I weather the back of propeller blades on my models I paint the blades RLM 70 and later will spray on some metall on the back of the prop blades keeping it mostly near the tips. When I spray on the metall I don't thin it very much to make sure the paint spatters a little bit to better represent paint that had been eroded away.

Matrixone

Pre-shading over an overall coat of (Lifecolour) RLM02:

All Tamiya acylics, Deck Tan, Field Grey and Red Brown with my 'home brew' RLM66 for the deeper shadows and exhaust areas. Thanks for taking the time to look and/or comment.

AFN

Ian.

I was actually thinking of trying some multi-color preshading on an upcoming USN jet to simulate the stained underpanels from engine oil & hydraulic fluids. Very curious to see how this turns out. :popcorn

Evenin' all
My task for this evening is to wade through the last batch of Messerschmitt photos, cropping & editing. Hopefully I won't run out of coffee before I can get to posting them.

Wish me luck, see y'all on the other side... :java

Ian.

Bf 109G-2 Trop - Paint has occurred

Lots of photos of paint, so I'll break this down in to 'bite size' chunks....

Starting with the undersides:

Xtracolour RLM78 enamel - at least ten years old and used only once before - cut with refined turps about 65/35 and applied in two thinnish coats followed by lightening a little with Humbrol Lt. Gull Grey (129) and post shading in to the centre of the panels. Here it is a wee bit closer:

I appreciate that right now it looks a wee bit like a harlequin but the effect will 'calm down' once I apply a pin wash and a few of the usual weathering techniques.

Stand by, folks more in a few mins...

Ian.

Theatre markings next:

I still use enamels for two-out-of-three of my models, and in 40-odd years of playing with bits of plastic I've never found anything as easy to use as good ol' Humbrol 22 !!.

More very soon.

Ian.

Ok, last one before bed-time.

Again Xtracolour enamel, RLM79, I love using this colour it has a wonderful rich chestnut tone. Two thin coats, no post-shading yet, that will happen in the next session. So thanks for taking the time to look and/or comment. Please feel free to criticise, comment, or ask me any questions.

AFN

Ian.

Back