• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Bf 109G-2 Trop

Bf 109G-2 Trop - Squiggles update

I have air brushed a couple with enamels in the past . Don't know if I could still do it. The fact is that it's doable .

Probably the easiest way is to paint the green first . Mask it and then shoot the sand color . This way, you would have the greatest control.

Cheers, Christian B)

I think what we've learned from Les is to get it good and thin and use multiple passes. When I do spray enamels I don't recall it behaving like this.

I think what we've learned from Les is to get it good and thin and use multiple passes. When I do spray enamels I don't recall it behaving like this.

I don't believe you would spray that line consistently more than once . Need to get that one the first time out.

The edges are not feathered.

Cheers, Christian B)

Ian,
Sorry you did not get the paint to spray as you wanted it to, I hope you don't actually use the hairy stick to paint on the scribble.

When I spray scribble camouflage patterns I thin the paint much more than usual, drop the P.S.I. down quite a bit and hold the airbrush much closer to the models surface, also remove the end cap from the airbrush...this way the flow of paint from the airbrush won't be disturbed by any bumps or curves on the models surface.

And you CAN spray over the exact same scribble pattern twice don't let those that can't do this persuade you from trying it...I had to do this exact thing on my 1/72 scale Arado Ar 240 Nightfighter, My first pass with painting the scribble came out too light so I went over it again to get the proper color intensity.

h24005d0.jpg

hd213fd7.jpg

Matrixone

Well Les, you might think it looks like it but I don't think it looks nearly like a brush painted line with hard edges.

I never insinuated that I could not do, but I'm not sure about Ian's ability to pull it off ( no offense Ian )

By the way it was not us but just I that said that.

I'm with Les- hard-edged would not be optimal. You can help yourself by tracing the pattern on with a pastel pencil or some such as a guide- then erase it when you're done. To whit:

388_295.jpg

388_296.jpg

388_297.jpg

Great debate, all valid opinions, keep it going lads.

Ian.

Christain,
I have again looked at the photograph of the 109 with the dark squiggles and I understand why you think the squiggles were done by brush and not an air gun, the fuselage has very sharp edges to the squiggles but that was likely done with the air gun held very close to the surface when the painting was done.
Below is a close-up of the squiggles on the wing and they look to have soft edges that would not be consistent with paint applied with brush painting.

he867229.jpg

I am sorry if you were offended by my earlier comment. :(
I have seen Ian's work for years and am confident he could airbrush the squiggle camouflage, bad paint or airbrush trouble might keep Ian from airbrushing the squiggles but not his ability.

Sorry for the hijack Ian.

Matrixone

Matrixone

What hijack ?? - Isn't this exactly why we all turn-up here day after day... for vigorous, reasoned debate and exchange of perspectives ??. Absolutely no apology needed here Les (and everybody else).

Ian.

Bf 109G-2 Trop - Final update

Well no doubt about it now - the effect is OK, however it is way below what I'd already achieved prior to putting the green on yesterday.

Because I was so happy with the model before, I'm not going to throw it at the wall, just take a deep breath and put it away for now. Later when I've finished some other builds I'll find an alternative paint/decal scheme that allows me to keep what I've done then finish it another time.

Shame, but you gotta know when to walk away, bank what you have and return to it when you have the enthusiasm again.Thanks for all the support and comments through this build, always appreciated and never taken for granted.

Ian.

By way of an update - I've now removed the (enamel) 'wandering snail' camo and it's hardly affected the previous paintwork and that's fantastic, I'm very happy with it again. What I need to do now is decide how to go-forwards. What my digging in the refs has thrown-up is that many/most of the G-2's sent to North Africa had their fuselage painted in full in the 'tan'.

I'm looking at removing the decals from the fuselage, pre-shading the lower 'blue' and bringing the RLM 79 down to the bottom, then post-shading, pin washing etc to match the rest then re-decal and possibly do a green mottle overall. Still not fully made my mind up but that's what I'm thinking.

I'd welcome any thoughts/suggestions from you guys.

Ian.

I think you need to work on getting your enamel thin and spraying correctly. You should be able to knock this out. Milky consistency and play with the pressure till you get it right. :zen

Glad to hear it cleaned up good Ian . I like having a clear coat between colors myself as problems do arise .

I agree Ian. 109 f's were sent there in sand color . There are even talk some 109's were being painted in Italian sand which is more red ( before the RLM color was available ). White wing tips . Not sure about the G's but possibly .

I have pictures of Luftwaffe personnel painting squiggles with a paint brush which means hard edged lines.

I airbrushed similar patterns on this bird in 1/72 . Even though it looks Ok , it is still not like the picture you displayed . I'm not even sure how to paint that by hand and keeping the same width .

Bear_legs_003a.jpg

Sorry I am no help but that paintjob is hard to replicate unless you want to mask it.
I don't even want to do that.

Cheers, Christian B)

Ian I didn't see all this other more qualified help you were getting (crazy day at work yesterday)
But...

Christain,
I have again looked at the photograph of the 109 with the dark squiggles and I understand why you think the squiggles were done by brush and not an air gun, the fuselage has very sharp edges to the squiggles but that was likely done with the air gun held very close to the surface when the painting was done.
Below is a close-up of the squiggles on the wing and they look to have soft edges that would not be consistent with paint applied with brush painting.

he867229.jpg

I am sorry if you were offended by my earlier comment. :(
I have seen Ian's work for years and am confident he could airbrush the squiggle camouflage, bad paint or airbrush trouble might keep Ian from airbrushing the squiggles but not his ability.

Matrixone

Check out the squiggles on this, you can see how the guy painting was close then far away with the gun. Especially going up the side of the fuselage. The lower parts of it almost looks hard edge because he was close in with the gun and the spray pattern was tight and as it goes up, out of his reach it feathers out. I think you can do the exact same thing the same way.

Sending Airbrush :zen to ya big guy!

:zen :zen :zen :drinks :popcorn

Back