• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Bf 109 G-14/U4

jknaus

Administrator
Okay after watching Paddy's builds I have gotten the urge to do a FW 190. Unfortunately I have not yet sourced one, but I do have a ZM 1/32 Bf 109 G-4/U4 to build. I have some extra decals for it, but the bird I want to build has a tall tail and this kit doesnt. I have the other version of the kit coming and maybe I'll luck out and it will have the tall tail. So right now its a short tail bird flown by either Hartmann or maybe a slightly less flashy bird from the decal sheet. When in Germany I had a chance to meet Hartmann, but my wife wanted me to stay home and do some chores so I missed out. One of my true regrets. So starting at the beginning with the engine. I assembled it according to instructions, but either they have mistake in the instructions or I did not read the part numbers properly. So I split the cylinder banks apart and swapped them around. Lucky it was freshly done and not left till much later. Carried on and then painted in prime which looks plenty good enough to act as the engine colour. Then sprayed all the pipes and wire bundles aluminum. The cockpit will be a bit as I have a Quintas cockpit upgrade coming. Trying to think where you would need the pistons, but there is no easy way to make them viable and so they are really a bit of a waste.

1722896582552.png
20240805_124800.jpg
20240805_132058.jpg
20240805_132102.jpg
20240805_132106.jpg
20240805_132109.jpg
20240805_134215.jpg
20240805_134224.jpg

If you are interested in seeing the instructions they are here https://www.zoukeimura.co.jp/en/download.html#dl_sws18
Looking at the second kit, the one I have coming you can do a tall tail so quite happy about that.
James

I have seen these new 1/35th kits and wondered if they were going to be really good, so-so, or not worth the effort. So far it looks really good James. Will be watching.
Popcorn - Wakko and Yakko.gif

I'm impressed that they included the pistons, but unless one was building a model with an engine torn down that is way too much over-engineering!

Looks great James!!

:popcorn

Hi James, this looks interesting :) I just bought a Hobby 2000 E4 in 1/32 so i will be watching closely for detail hints as the 2000 is nowhere near the detail of the Superwing. Hobby2000 kits are usually Hasegawa or Dragon i think.

Okay nothing today, but yesterday I did paint the engine mounts and some other parts RLM 02. I hope to do some more tomorrow and will have piictures. Until then I have decided to do this aircraft from 3.JG53 Yellow 5 WNr 782192 Bad Aibling Germany 1945 0A. According to the Eagle Cal decal sheet this should have a spiral spinner and a Gelb band on the tail. The print I found does not have that. Although looking at the picture it could have a yellow band on the tail. Will check my decal sheet to make sure the picture and print are the same aircraft.

1723067238908.png
1723067259101.png

I'd do the Yellow James. The several books I'm into lately all talk about how colorful the luft aircraft were. We lose this on drab B/W photos, we can try to figure out what it is but we have first hand accounts about how they were full of color. Git'er done!

I had this kit in my stash earlier in the year, but because I realized that I would never get to it so I sold it at the OKC show. Now I can see what I missed.

You are right James, it doesn't look like there is any kind of band around the tail. Notice the flaps and radiator vents are all drooping as well.

If you look up to the nose in the photo, there is a lighter band behind where the prop blade is located. A yellow band around the tail should be about the same shade and it just is not there. Looks like it is just the camouflage colors in front of the empennage. The large side view you have just below the EagleCals pics seems to be more spot on.

The photo caption says white five over painted on a white Severn so maybe the original white five did have the band.
I have never built a model of a particular aircraft, its always just generic with me but now i am starting to get the bug, finding the individual camo and detail an additional attraction of Luftwaffe aircraft. Like bob says its a shame colour detail is sketchy especially as the WWI flying Circuses seem very well documented.

Some caption refer to the White five pic as yellow five and some white five (same pic) ? am i missing something ?

This however is definitely yellow five

Messerschmitt Bf 109G6 3.JG53 Yellow 5 Attenbaum 1945 01
Messerschmitt-Bf-109G6-3.JG53-Yellow-5-Attenbaum-1945-01.jpg

Also yellow 5

Messerschmitt-Bf-109G10-Erla-3.JG53-Yellow-5-abandoned-Germany-1945-01.jpg

You do have to be careful because in among the period pictures i found this :)

s-l1600.jpg

Merlin engine Hispano,s :) with what looks to me like a Catalina PBY-5 tail on the left. The obvious answer would be the BoB film but i dont recall this camo on the BoB aircraft which were all RLM76 Blue and were quote "yellow nosed bastards .... coming down now ".

Last edited:
I get a vibe they are not the same #5 aircraft. Yellow 5 has a solid painted rudder, White 5 has a scatter camo.

I see that and yet even the print they show has a white 5. More research.. Eagle Cal did an amazing amount of research into Luftwaffe subjects so I feel i have to trust them some, but the photo does not lie either.
A neat site is Asisbiz. Here is the page for Bf 109 Gs. https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Bf-109G/JG53.html
James

Well cant find any more pictures of the bird I want to do so sending an email to Eagle Editions to ask if they might have more info on it. If they dont will go with the data I have and not paint a yellow tail band. The over painted lower cross' on the fuselage will be interesting in their own right. From the picture I am also leaning towards no spiral, but maybe the 1/3 white spinner. Might be my imagination but it kind of looks like a demarcation line at the top of the spinner and almost the bottom. Will still do a white 5 despite the caption saying yellow 5 as the 5 looks a bit more stark than the yellow nose band. Also something not show on the decal instructions or the profile I showed that to me stands out on the photo is an over painted number behind the 5. Maybe a yellow 5 that was repainted?
As you mentioned Paddy, this is the thing i find very very enjoyable. Getting a bird and decals and then finding a ref photo or more and trying to come to a satisfactory compromise on accuracy. So many neat schemes to do. I'm really itching now to pull out all my Revel Bf 109 G6s and doing the Mediterranean paint jobs of 7 JG 53 in Sicily. They were so colourful. This is the decal sheet I have for them but in 1/32.
1723138380461.jpeg

James

Agree James the Aircraft in my opinion is White five and i also agree it was white seven before being over painted . This implies that the aircraft in the picture is not the original white five so that might explain why the tail band is missing ?

Back