• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Bf-109 D

jknaus

Administrator
I'm going to tag along with Gene and build a 109 also. Mine will be a Bf-109 D1 flown by ObLt Molders during the Spanish Civil War. This will fit in with my bomber which will also be a Spanish Civil War bird. The kit is the Eduard Bf-109 E-1 and A2Zees conversion to B or D. If you want a 109 that looks different I highly recommend them. They have the A, B, C, D conversions and a T-1/2. I have this one and the T2 which I will finish some day. Hmm maybe tag it on here too.

The basic shape change.

test.jpg

And markings

markings.jpg

I will also use Radubs seat belts and Eduard new updates for the landing gear. Wish me luck in finishing.

James

Excellent, do you have all the references and markings you need?

Regards,

I think so. Even though the 109 isnt a fav its the aircraft I have modeled most followed by my WWII fav the 190. So I have a fairly large library on it. If you have some pics of Molders bird though that would be cool. Oh and do you know definitively if the joystick is a spade grip or stick grip?? I'm leaning to spade.
James

Should be a spade grip. There is a fantastic book on the Spanish Civil War I received as a wedding gift. It has plenty of photos in there. I will check.

Regards,

I missed that, I had read about Galland and his circus when I did the Parrot scheme but I missed that tidbit. Thanks Laura.

Looking forward to this James.

Okay a little bit done throughout the day. Hard to concentrate when your eyes keep watering.

Fuselage. I got the Eduard Brassin set for the Bf-109 E wheels. Cool set. Comes with new resin wheels, 2 different wheel hubs tire masks, tailwheel oleo and tailwheel insert. Here you can see the insert glued in. What a difference.

Left1.jpg

Here the start of the cockpit. I've read the oxygen set up is too tall. Looked at pics and have to agree. Cut off the 2 bottom rows of holes. Looks better. Thought about putting in the plumbing and decided to keep it simple (what am I talking about?? This is a major airframe conversion..Simple??) and not add anything else. Cut of the stick grip and glued on the spade grip of the earlier models. Still havent decided If I should have replaced the rudder pedals with the solid tread plate type. Will go with this. The instrument panel isnt right for a D anyways, but close enough.

pit1.jpg

pit2.jpg

Will do some rlm 02 tonight. I will also have to mask parts of the pe panels and respray black. Eduard made them rlm 66. Also early circuit breaker panel as far as I can tell is also rlm 02.

Any questions or critiques welcome.
James

Okay some paint on.

Spade grip is okay. A lot of flash and very delicate.

pit4.jpg

This is going to bug me. Eduard painted the panels RLM 66 rather than RLM 02 and black. I havent decided if I will over paint and risk turning this into a long term job. Might just suck it up and go with what I have.

pit5.jpg

Added the 3 handles that and rods that are represented by small blobs. Should look okay when painted red...I hope

pit6.jpg

I am thinking of replacing the pe seat belts with the excellent Radub belts. I just need a better pic than I have of the shoulder straps hook up on the rear of the seat. The pe shows the belts joining and 1 attachment. I have a pick that to me looks like both shoulder straps going through slot in seat and attaching.

belt1.jpg

So some detail work and weathering, although not too much. This young lady still has the new car smell.

James

I have you bad information, the C switched from the spade to the post (only the Swiss kept the spade)...
here is a cockpit illustration of a C-3 from the manual:
Cockpit.jpg

This is the B-1 from a Republican captured example sent to Russia:
Bf-109B-1_39_28229.jpg

Apologies,

I have you bad information, the C switched from the spade to the post (only the Swiss kept the spade)...
here is a cockpit illustration of a C-3 from the manual:
<snip>
Apologies,

Not a problem Saul. I have a parts kit, I'll just take the stick from it and pry this one off. It's not a biggy. I'm still looking at the instrument panels and thinking paint it paint it. I'll leave the pedals as I have seen pics of both types and no definative this mk this pedal.
Appreciate the pics. Dont have those and they show things I would have missed. (y)
James

See, this is what I was talking about with the color stuff from Eduard. If they are going to do it, do it right or give us the options of different colors if references are unclear.

Awesome Saul. I never knew of this site. Will spend some time surfing it I guess. This could go from straightforward conversion to work. I have Radubs pedals as well so it wouldnt be too difficult to swap out I hope. You have got to get your crystal ball fixed though so you can tell me what I'm doing before I do it and thus save steps :laugh:
Thanks again.

MP I know. Thats why I mentioned the rlm colours to Gene. Its annoying.
James
James

cool progress james, i hope your eyes are better today!

you have the radub belts so why not use them?

The Radub belts are 2 point attachment shoulder straps. The pe is 1 point attachment shoulder straps. I cant find a good picture to see if the shoulder straps are separate and attach to 1 point or if the straps join together into 1 strap. Still looking.
James

You only need to ask!

Bf-109B-1_46_28229.jpg

Bf-109B-1_44_28229.jpg

Bf-109B-1_45_28229.jpg

Bf-109B-1_43_28229.jpg

These are from the B-1 but the seat did not change much.

Regards,

Thanks Saul. Those are in the 109 book by Lynn Ritger as well, but smaller. I finally used optivisors and made out the detail. Those pics are way bigger and sharper though. This build is changing from build it up to build it up right. I'm almost thinking of putting in the plumbing now too. :laugh:

Really appreciate it.
James

Back