• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

B5N2 and Ki-43 in 1/72

Flyingbabydoc

Hello there,

in a Japanese fever right now, trying to get the chipping correct. For that I have used two models which I would like to show you for your critique.

The first is a Nakajima B5N2 "Kate" from the IJN Akagi during Midway. This plane (A1-301) was flown by Lt. Fuchida and can be seen in a short movie landing on the Akagi. Plane and pilot were lost whilst attacking the USS Enterprise.
Model is a Hasegawa 1/72 with PE Eduard (not much, just some cabine details) and brush painted with Vallejo.

IMG_4124.jpg
IMG_4125.jpg
IMG_4126.jpg
IMG_4127.jpg
IMG_4128.jpg
IMG_4129.jpg
IMG_4130.jpg

The second one is a Nakajima Ki-43-II Hayabusa ("Oscar") from the 3rd Chutai, 50th. Sentai flown by Lt. Col. Satori Anabuki with 39 victories, this plane was known as "Fubuki"
Model is a Fujimi 1/72 with PE Eduard (again not much, just some cabine details) and brush painted with Vallejo. Decals by Print Scale.

IMG_4131.jpg
IMG_4132.jpg
IMG_4133.jpg
IMG_4134.jpg
IMG_4135.jpg
IMG_4136.jpg
IMG_E4133.JPG

I hope you like it.

Thanks for looking. Cheers!

Alex

I think these are some of the best builds you have done Alex!

Great Job.gif

One thought is that Japanese paint didn't chip off so much as wear off. You might try doing some thin wash coats along with the thicker areas to give a more worn effect rather than just chipped and pealed.

Hey Paul Thanks a lot. That is a great idea, I was actually thinking about that when I saw the photos. Aircraft that were used in those coral islands had more chipping, but naval aircraft were much more worn off.

I will try. Appreciated!
Cheers

Alex

Excellent J.O.B Alex!!! The chipping add a lot of interest and the underside weathering looks well done. Most importantly is that you seemed to have fun with the two kit!
:victory:

Hey Paul Thanks a lot. That is a great idea, I was actually thinking about that when I saw the photos. Aircraft that were used in those coral islands had more chipping, but naval aircraft were much more worn off.

I will try. Appreciated!
Cheers

Alex
All we can do is get an idea and then try to make it happen. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. That is part of why my builds tend to take a little longer is because I try to plan ahead a little bit and figure out the process before I have to do it. My builds are getting a little faster as I now have more experiences to build on and they are getting easier.

Nice job Doc! Really dig the back drop also. I'm likin' the Oscar better but that's me. Well done sir!

I also like the Oscar a bit better too; but both planes are magnificent! I love the backdrop and base; I'd love to have something like that to photograph my models against.

Looking great! Keep them coming!

Back