• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Australian Leopard AS 1

wiewiorka

My 2nd Leopard 1 A4 build from start to finish.

A few changes was needed to make it an Aussie AS 1 , but couldn't justify spending the $80NZ for a few bits of resin , a PE and decal sheet in the conversion kit , so I used bits and pieces out of my spare parts box to make them .

dscf2261.jpg

the plate behind the loaders hatch is a shaved down German mine , the wind sensor is an old grinding bit from my dremel , the guard is from a spare headlight guard from one of my Russian tanks , along with trimmed bits of sprue for the commanders periscope and front vision block . I'm going to use
my spare Tiger 1 track guards to make the three stowage bins that sit on the hull where the tools would usually go on a standard Leo

the turret complete.
I found some thin tubing so added it as the thick cable to both of the turrets light.

dscf2267.jpg

dscf2266.jpg

dscf2265.jpg

upper hull done . The stowage bins aren't the flashest but they'll do ( made from a Tiger 1 track guard and KFC potato and gravy pot lid ) also ground out the inside of a spare roadwheel and added it to the fender. Had to cut the crewman legs off so he could fit in the turret

dscf2272.jpg

dscf2271.jpg

trimmed the rear of the track guard and add the longer mudflaps

dscf2273.jpg

Added some strips of plastic for an empty grouser rack

dscf2275.jpg

camo done , I also straped down some tools to the grouser rack

dscf2278.jpg

dscf2277.jpg

dscf2279.jpg

Got the detailing done , along with the decals , again the decals are out of my spares box , the only thing really wrong is the tanks road registration number ,

dscf2280.jpg

dscf2281.jpg

dscf2283.jpg

Also got the crewman done this morning

dscf2285.jpg

Painted the Panther heads of the 1st Armoured Regiment on the turret , I used the tea-leaves for the eucalyptus on the turret and hull.

My wife bought me a new camera , so I'll be taking better photo's tomorrow in day light.

dscf2286.jpg

dscf2290.jpg

dscf2287.jpg

dscf2289.jpg

Bob , Jenny , Dave ... Thanks , when I started , I didn't think I was going to be able to do the alterations , my first go at doing any changes to a model

Thanks guys

Panzerfaust wrote:
Very nice job on that one,

One question - What colours did you use for the camo?

Cheers,

Jase.

I used XF-58 Olive Green .. XF-69 Nato Black .. XF-59 Desert yellow with a light spray of
XF-78 Wooden deck Tan just to lighten the Desert yellow . I used XF-52 Flat Earth to add the dust and dirt look

Wow, like it lots! Thanks for the step by step pictures. Camo turned out great. Australian armor has such cool camo

Back