• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Leopard 2 A7 (Takom 1/72)

RichB

The Leopard was released earlier in combination with the SLT56 Transporter.

IMG_1288.JPG

The upper hull is a one piece casting with the side skirts and anti-slip texture included
IMG_1279.JPG

Likewise, the lower hull is a one piece casting and includes the belly reinforcing armour.
IMG_1281.JPG

The turret is also one piece with the anti-slip texture and weld lines.
IMG_1282.JPG

The tracks are link and length. There are a few ejector marks on the inside surface of the tracks that may require attention. There are 2 pieces of Sprue K in the kit.
IMG_1283.JPG

IMG_1284.JPG

The gun barrel is a one piece casting with a separate piece for the muzzle. There are lots of delicate cuts to be made when removing parts from the sprues.
IMG_1285.JPG

The decal sheet and PE fret are reduced to include only the Leopard related items for this release. The decals allow you to make a vehicle on display at the Paris Eurosatory Show in June 2014 with the row of flags of Leopard operators on the gun barrel or a vehicle belonging to Panzerlehrbattaillon 93 based in Munester. There is a short length of copper wire included to make the tow cables. New to this boxing is the camouflage pattern masking sheet. How useful it will be over the molded on detail is unknown and unfortunately there is no placement guide included.
IMG_1287.JPG

Cheers,
RichB

Last edited:
Back to our regularly scheduled program.

The lower hull build consists of adding the running gear to the tub casting. Some of the suspension parts have a very snug fit when mating them with their mounting holes. Applying the liquid glue first made them slide in easier. I did see one build that built up the tracks and wheels as one that could be painted separately. Not trusting my self to not loose some pieces if I built it that way, mine are glued in place. Once the upper hull is in pace, not much is visible above the road wheels.
IMG_1357.JPG

IMG_1355.JPG

IMG_1353.JPG

Next up is adding detail parts to the upper hull casting.

Cheers,
RichB

Build up is complete. Lots of careful trimming for delicate parts. The trickiest parts were the two smoke grenade launcher assemblies. There are 8 individual launchers to be attached to each rail. There were a couple that attempted escape but the modelling gods were smiling on me and they were quickly recaptured. The Germans don't carry much gear externally beyond cam netting and foliage. I might add that later. One item I did add was the range safety flag which can be painted red, yellow or green. From photos of the A7, the tow cables are routed differently from the earlier variants that are crossed as shown in the kit instructions.

IMG_1369.JPG

IMG_1370.JPG

IMG_1371.JPG

IMG_1372.JPG

On to painting.

Cheers,
RichB

Working on the camouflage paint. Started using the standard NATO Green, Brown and Black but at this scale it resulted in a uniform dark lump. A dive back into the paint box and I came out with a Light Olive, Rust and Black Grey that gives a better look. Being of the hairy stick fraternity, I'm not using the kit supplied masks to layout the scheme. Some touchups and fine tuning still to do.

IMG_1376.JPG

IMG_1377.JPG

Cheers,
RichB

Back