• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Applying Decals without silvering

Ruben Lopez

Hi everyone.

This is the technique I use to apply decals and get rid of that unwanted silvering.

First of all, silvering is caused when air gets trapped between the decal and the model. As you might already know the usual method is to apply a coat of gloss varnish to the model, apply the decals and then seal them with another coat of varnish either gloss or matte. One problem with that is that I never have found a matte varnish that works, they always tend to shine a little. Other problem is, there is no guarantee that the decal will affix itself to the whole surface.

So, after a time of experimentation I came up with the technique I’ll show you here. It is easy and only requires few materials.

Here is the list:
1) Water
2) PVA Glue
3) Acrylic Matte Varnish
4) A Pointed Brush (I use a #1 round)
5) Mixing cup

MVC-838F.jpg

Since I am not applying any decals at the moment I won’t be able to post any photo of the process but don’t worry, as I said, it is very easy.

Ok, the first thing you are going to do is to mix about one drop of glue and one drop of acrylic matte varnish with about 10 drops of water. The consistency should be like a wash, 90% water 10% glue and varnish. (This is not an exact formula, I mix mine without measuring.) The glue will make the decal stick to the model and the varnish will ensure that there is no glossy residue.

Then you’re going to apply the first decal as usual and using the brush apply the mix around and on top of the decal before the decal dries up. If you use to much mix the decal will float but that’s ok, simply put the decal in position and press it down with a paper towel. (What you are trying to do is to get the glue under the decal so when it dries there is no air between the decal and the surface of the model.) If you prefer you can paint the glue and then place the decal.

Then continue with the second one and so forth. Once all the decals are completely dry, I usually wait to the next day, you can also apply a coat of the matte varnish over the decal to protect it.

MVC-841F.jpg

As you can see the decals are totally flat and there is no evidence of silvering whatsoever. :thumb:

I hope this technique helps you on your next project!

Cheers!!

P.S. If you have any doubt don't hesitate to ask me.

Back