• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Eduard decals

paddy

OK so this is how these eduard decals work.

Lay them down on a very smooth surface. Remember people say gloss because its smooth but if you use a fine pigment paint like MRP i find it doesnt have to be gloss to be ultra smooth.

I have used some spare decals from my current F4f build
DSC_0258.JPG

So this the decal straight on MRP with microsol

DSC_0259.JPG

You can see the carrier film in the right light

DSC_0260.JPG

obviously i have angled them to look at the their worst

DSC_0265.JPG

Here with white spirit applied, i think in the US this is turps ?

DSC_0267.JPG

After a bout a 30 seconds you can work the carrier film with a soft brush and more white spirit and it will come off much like peeling skin after sunburn

DSC_0268.JPG

DSC_0269.JPG

Wipe it down and give it a matt coat and you get pretty good results
DSC_0275.JPG
DSC_0274.JPG

Note this only works on Eduard decals and only on post 2019 !!!

Yes sorry i should have said
If you use a course pigment like Tamiya you will need to future it to give the decal a good surface to stick too but if you use a fine pigment like MRP I found you dont need to gloss, dont forget the point of future is to give a gloss surface that hides the carrier film but you are going to remove that anyway so it really about just getting good adhesion for the bass decal.

This from wiki
White spirit (AU, UK and Ireland) or mineral spirits (US, Canada), also known as mineral turpentine (AU/NZ),

So, is white spirits turpentine or mineral spirits? Will this work with enamel paints? Gary S.
I would suspect that Turentine or white spirits could cause some problems with enamel paints like Testors. I have some acrylic paints that will remove with 409 and use them a lot over enamels. Likewise, mineral spirits (IIRC) don't affect acrylic paints like Vallejo. Vallejo is also not bothered by 409. You will need to experiment with paints and solvents to see what works for you.

Back