• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

All Righty ... What's on the bench today?

Re: All Righty ... What are you doing today ?

I spent a lot of time building cable tv systems all over the states , even lived in Loozeeanna for a spell .

A cracker is a derogatory term referencing the field bosses on plantations who carried and used whips on slaves .

I've lived , fought and worked with enough Brothers to have learned this .

Its very interesting to learn that you y`all have names for each other

I already knew that there was a dividing line somewhere where you can call someone a yankie or not but didnt know of different terms for ppl down south or indeed anyone else

Anyone located West of the Atlantic is automatically called a Yank by the UK this of course stems for the war years

So whats a Linthead

Its also nice to see that Erik is a Native American or decendant there of :)

whats other terms that you can think of for terms of peoples and their locales.?

Linthead is someone who works in a cotton mill, I'm pushing it to call myself one, only worked in a cotton mill for one year while in highschool and that was only a weekend shift. Back in the day the air filtration system was none existent and everyone would come home with cotton in your hair..so linthead.

I think the term Redneck is not so much southern, it's really universal, but the origin comes from the old share cropper days where a man is in the field all day long bending over tending the crops, the back of his neck would be exposed to the sun.

Cracker of course has been covered.

You got your Tennessee Vol, volunteer. Not just for the UT sports, the term is older than that because of the Tennessee Militia seeming to want to fight in every battle within marching distance.

Drawing a blank on many more right now.. will post more as theycome to me.

Oh, there's LOTS more, but decorum prevents listing them here. :D

D'oh...Tar Heel...for folks from North Carolina. Goes back prior to the War of Northern Aggression.

Cheesehead, from Wisconsin, the dairy state.

Hoosier from Indiana, I have no idea what it means.

Okie and Sooners from Oklahoma..they get two.

Goober, southerner.

Hillbilly, southern mountain regions

Nodack, Sodack and Modack, folks from North, South Dakota and Minnesota.

Well lets see. We have Nards - they live in Maine. Woodchucks, those are native Vermonters, Flatlanders - transplants to Vermont. Turkeys, anyone visiting Vermont. Then you all must know about Ma$$holes and where they come from, thats about all I know about Northern New England.

O.K. here's My take .....

Red Neck - It actually comes from Kentucky/West Virginia ( Hillbillies) area. When th Coal Mines were being Unionized, there were Obviously 2 sides. The Mine Owners & the Workers. Well things got a little testy & The Mine Owners sent in some Mercenaries( "Law Men") to take care of it. The Guys that Met them in Da' Woods wore Red Bandannas tied around Their necks. During numerous clashes They were referred to as RedNecks (i.e. "Get those Red Necks ! ")

- http://rednecks.ws/how-did-rednecks-get-there-names.html

JOHN - Don't forget Leaf Peepers - Mass. residents that flock up to Maine & Vermont to look at th leaves change colors ! :D

N.C. Tarheels - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tar_Heel - For what it's worth.

ANDY - aren't there Nick Names for People living in different parts of England ? What about from th Movie Qdadraphenia ? Mods & Sods ? Ringo Starr coined a term in HELP - Mods & Rockers ... He said th Beatles were a combination of Both - Mockers !

Yeah but Mods and Rockers were reference to the music they liked (Modern and Rock) and that encompassed people from all regions of the UK.
They all used to meet up in a sunny coastal town on bank Holidays to beat the crap out of each other :D

The Who were the very example of a Mod band

That was in the 60s,...

You still get scooter clubs even now all over the UK go to the seasisde on bank holidays but its very nice and happy now and no biffing up leather clad motorbikers anymore

Its amazing really how us Brits do like a good punch up must have been that Viking influence

Can't we all just get along???

this from your resident redneck... :mpup

So just sitting around biting nails. Installed Dragon Age II on new computer and tried it. WOW too cool compared to old computer.
James

you geek... :mpup

Getyourgeekon.gif

My mother (born and raised in Virginia) always told me that 'cracker' referred to the people living in the mountains. It was used in a way to describe someone who was uneducated and backward. I suppose the true meaning depends on where you were raised in the South. It even pops up in popular culture, Burt Reynolds' character refers to the mountail folk as 'crackers'.

@MoonPuppy - us Hoosiers like the confusion over our state nickname. :)

Otherwise, I'm getting my wish list together for the Wonderfest show next weekend.

My mother (born and raised in Virginia) always told me that 'cracker' referred to the people living in the mountains. It was used in a way to describe someone who was uneducated and backward. I suppose the true meaning depends on where you were raised in the South. It even pops up in popular culture, Burt Reynolds' character refers to the mountail folk as 'crackers'.

Ah, but that movie was based in Georgia. :hmmm

@MoonPuppy - us Hoosiers like the confusion over our state nickname. :)

Mission accomplished.

My day...note to self, don't get a breakfast sandwich from the heat lamp at a gas station checkout counter. :sick: been staying close to home today.

Aaaah , just read an article in the paper .

Seems the good folks in the state of Delaware can't decide what to call themselves .
There will be a state wide vote on the two most popular " names " on what they should call themselves , ........... Delawarians , ......... or Delaweenies , ............. it's gonna be a dogfight !!!

could be worse, they could be passin' laws that actually effect people.

Well...after work I biked 22.5 miles in training for my diabetes ride in June and then came home and did a little horseback riding to boot...I am powerful tired.

Here is a good end to the day yesterday...tried doing a little modeling while listening to the Yankees game last night, but I was too bushed!
horse1.jpg

horse2.jpg

Talk about your City Slickers! ;)

Back