• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Airfix 1/48 Westland Lynx

paddy

Not really a WIP but just a few pics as i stick this together following my in box look in the review section.
I am building this OTB as there seems little point in reviewing what's in the box if you don't then use what is the box :) I have always been a firm believer that reviews should not include after market because that is not strictly what you get when you buy the reviewed subject.
The Lynx would lend its self to some detailing TBH but how much at this stage I'm not too sure. Once the glass is fitted it will be interesting to see what is actually visible.
The instrument panel on thios kit is plain/smooth and Airfix supply decals so painting is not really an option. Seat belts ar moulded to the seats and could easily be shaved off and replaced but as i say, lets see what is actually visible first :)

First step looks a little alarming !! but don't panic, its just a carcass that is enclosed in the airframe later

_DSC5466.jpg

Once its got some body panels round it things improve dramatically

_DSC5468.jpg

I think closing all this up might mean a little bit of trimming to get the sides to meet at the top. There are a couple of injector pin marks inside that need cleaning off which will help .....I hope :)
Painting could be a problem. at what stage you go for the exterior colour I'm not sure as the further down the assembly road you go the more glass and openings will need masking.

_DSC5469.jpg

I have always been a firm believer that reviews should not include after market because that is not strictly what you get when you buy the reviewed subject.

I am a firm believer that aftermarket products should be allowed in a review as long as the reason for replacement is explained in text and photos. For people hunting information on the net, it seems more realistic that they are trying to detail their kits rather than building it out of the box. After all, if OOB, why bother searching online for reviews (except to establish fit issues)?

To illustrate, I bought a set of replacement mud guards for this AFV:
ETmodelerE35-108a_002.JPG

I assembled them and compared them to the kit items... I deduced that the kit did not really need replacing after all. Should I have still ripped off the kit pieces and installed the unnecessary brass items? If the kit review poorer for having shown the alternative enhancement product? Is the AM review less valuable because I decided not to use it?

Reviews are opinions. Showing a modeler the choices and explaining why the reviewer opined one way or the other is what makes it valuable if one can relate.

For example, you are doing an excellent build review now by letting me know about the flat instrument panel which could use a PE or resin replacement! Had you replaced it in this build, I would understand why.
:hmmm

Regards,

Trouble is Saul, where do you draw the line ? some kits have to be completely butchered inside and out to fit the PE.

_DSC0011.jpg

this is my Corsair with a load of PE.Nothing forward of the seat is original and with undercarriage wells and gun bays there is little left of the wings. difficult to review the kit cockpit interior here :)
Personally i think if you are doing a WIP then anything goes but if you are reviewing a model then you have to use what the manufacturer supplies in order to be fair to them. In my experience many people either cant manage PE or cant afford to spend the extra so they will be far more interested in what they can achieve for the purchase price OOB. They can still see the faults and problems and then decide if they want to add extra's themselves. Its not for me to tell them what standard they should be building too. Thats how i have worked in the past and on occasions i have done PE reviews and built a basic kit and reviewed the PE. In fairness to the manufacturer be it Airfix or Eduard i think you should review their product exclusively in the review. Just imagine if i was reviewing a book and rewrote the ending because i didnt think the original was very good :)
Yes i could replace the instrument panel on this Lynx but then when its finished and we look through the glass we will not know if the original decaled panel would have been up to the job.
Just my opinion. :)

Do 2 reviews then one without and one with :D

Or an inbox review and then one with all the resin goodies as a build review of the resin and PE parts

Paddy has a couple of Spits that look sort of similar too,I think.
I really like his work. Its amazing.

Thanks Paul, done a few Spitfires ;)

_DSC00097.jpg

This thing nearly has me throwing in the towel ! Fit of parts is tricky for two reasons. 1/ they dont fit !! and 2/ to many components are over engineered meaning that something like the nose cone that you want to be a snug fit is actually made up of 4 pieces that form the cone which do not have locating tabs as such so the chances of the cone being the right shape ??? couple that with the same thing for the part the cone has to fit and you have problems.

_DSC5496.jpg

_DSC5497.jpg

This is the front with its inspection panel off

_DSC5500.jpg

This is the inspection panel balanced in place ! ...good fit eh ? Now i know why the only nice model i found of this on the net built had this inspection panel open and a scratch built inside. Too late for that here.......%£^&£"&!^"$!

_DSC5499.jpg

Another niggle is the plastic is very soft ! I like crisp hard plastic you can file and shape. Normal styrene glue melts this stuff way to easily so if you apply a light coat to two pieces push them firmly together and hold for 10 seconds you get a swelling along the joint as the two parts melt into each other and of course the resulting part will then be under size. Takes hours to dry as well
Not enjoying this :(

Bashing this thing into submission :) Its a very nice kit its only real fault is the typical Airfix soft plastic !! It almost melts into a puddle if you just show it styrene glue and the edges of parts are not sharp so most halves glued together have a sort of hollow/concave join along the joined edge.

_DSC5542.jpg

_DSC5544.jpg

Bit of sanding and filler and i will win this battle :)

Bit oid a jump from the last update as this is finished. No real drama's but its not an easy kit and tests your skill levels. The one bit of advice i would give to anyone having a go at this is...The interior is built first then the outer skin is wrapped round it. You need to spend a lot of time dry fitting the two bits so the outer skin fits like a glove round the interior. Most of my fit problems were self inflicted because i all but stretched the outer skin round the interior where as with a bit of work it could have been a nice easy fit. Failure to do this means panels and in particular the one piece glass area will not fit well. I have the army version of this kit as well and next time i will be able to do a much better job i think.
Time spent scratching some interior parts would be good given the open doors but i have built this OTB to show what you get for your money.
Anyway here she is. Thanks for looking and give this kit a go, its a rewarding build if you spend a little time on it.

_DSC5672.jpg

_DSC5678.jpg

_DSC5675.jpg

_DSC5677.jpg

_DSC5674.jpg

_DSC5679.jpg

_DSC5673.jpg

Until I saw it tipped over I thought it was a real helicopter.

(y) :notworthy

Terry B)

Back