• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Aircraft Photo base

paddy

i have tried in the past to make a general photo base for models without a whole lot of luck.
i suppose photo shop is the answer but i have a mental block with instructions. If someone shows me i am a fine but i cant seem to link written instructions too actions. how many times have you followed internet instructions for a program where it says click on the icon top left.... and there isn't one.
The main problem is instruction stay on the internet forever but programs are constantly updated so 99% of instructions are out of date.... :)
Anyway i found this

2A-BN-Ac-Airfix-Blackburn-Buccaneer-S.2C.D-1.48-Dave-C-Build.jpg

airfix new buccaneer in 1/48 and i find the photo more interesting than the kit :).......so how is it done, is this photoshop or a clever base and back drop do you think ?

2-BN-Ac-Airfix-Blackburn-Buccaneer-S.2C.D-1.48-Dave-C-Build.jpg

notice the back drop is the same , only the aircraft has been moved.

Do you recall our old pal Matrixone? He did fantastic builds and presentations. I don't know what happened to him, I know he fell on hard times but I haven't been in touch with him in a long time.
I'm on the way out the door but I'll see if I can search up some of his post. He had a back drop and table setup outside for natural light. Take the photo at the level of the table gave it that depth of field. He even staged different scale aircraft in the back ground to give the illusion of perspective.

Ah, here's one of his. you can find more of his stuff from his profile.
He hasn't logged into the new site and no answers to email I have on him.

I remember him, he just did Germans in a pine forest :))
I went down the local airfield this morning to try and get some back drop pictures. Yu cant get near any of the military stations here. security is pretty tight so an apron with hangers behind isn't going to happen :)
Nice little moth fluttering about

DSC_4429.JPG

Last edited:
Not just Germans.

I don't recall a lot of American subjects that's for sure. He did have that scale hanger section he'd use on his photo sessions also.

Yes, I always loved Matrixone's pics! He inspired me to use my 'factory' backdrop to shoot my in-progress models in, particularly armor. I stopped because too many of my projects started becoming too big to fit. Been looking for a larger factory backdrop structure but no luck.

Maybe I should try to start that up again.

i have tried in the past to make a general photo base for models without a whole lot of luck.
i suppose photo shop is the answer but i have a mental block with instructions. If someone shows me i am a fine but i cant seem to link written instructions too actions. how many times have you followed internet instructions for a program where it says click on the icon top left.... and there isn't one.
The main problem is instruction stay on the internet forever but programs are constantly updated so 99% of instructions are out of date.... :)
Anyway i found this

View attachment 153806

airfix new buccaneer in 1/48 and i find the photo more interesting than the kit :).......so how is it done, is this photoshop or a clever base and back drop do you think ?

View attachment 153807

notice the back drop is the same , only the aircraft has been moved.
I'm going back reading some of Matrixone stuff and saw this. I don't think your question got answered Paddy.

that looks like they printed out a photo of an airport and used it as a backdrop.

Yea thanks Bob
I did experiment and i can see how its done but the key is lighting and camera position along with a back drop with a lot of foreground.

I went down to RAF Tangmere which has now been demolished and got a picture of one of their hangers about that time and set these up

_DSC5673.JPG

Camel finished 2.jpg

finished DH.2 (4).jpg

They didnt really work because the base doesnt tie up with the back drop but got the idea.
Its one of those things i might have another go at once i retire and have some time :)

If I had a good camera I'd take a shot of the Lockheed plant in Donaldson Center and use it for a backdrop.
Last time I went there I notice some of the observation locations had be closed down, you could pull into an old parking lot and watch aircraft. Guess they dont like that anymore.

That looks ideal, over here they have gone to great lengths in the last 10 years to fence and plant trees around all perimeters + 95% of military has moved north as the commercial traffic from London's 2 main airports has grown. I do always keep an eye open on my travels for back drops :)

Paddy, you are hampered by knowing too much about photography! I have been thinking about setting up a computer driven 60 inch TV for a backdrop that I can put photos on. The brightness could be varied and then the base has to roll off at the back or blend in somehow. An interesting project. I have a plotter but dealing with a print that size once it is made would seem like a royal pain, wrinkles and all.

I'm a HUGE fan of your Roden 1/32 DH.2 to begin with, but the photo in (sepia?) Black & White is brilliant!

You got me thinking there ...that is a Roden DH-2 but the pictures are dated 2010 so i did a search and found it on the computer
It has solid piano wire rigging as it was before i learned how to make turnbuckles and do my own rigging so its 2010 v 2023

finished DH.2 (3).jpg

_DSC8191.JPG

and while we talk rigging, this FE2 drove me mad...:)

FE2bFinished (9).JPG

I had that idea on my 32 scale string bag. As the rigging both in 48 and 32 does not fit well and bows. I was thinking on using chrome wire but I bought some plain steel wire. That should look good enough at 20'.

Back