• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

AIrbrush Booth.

Plastik Smurff

Hi everybody, :Hiay I have a question to ask and I hope this is the right spot. :unsure:
Can anyone give me advice on a spray booth that is suitable for a room that has very little ventalation, also size is a factor compact is good. :idonno

Any advice is a great help. Thanks.Smurff. :)

Greetings and Salutations Smurff

You can get quite a small spray booth without spending large sums of money. A good one will have the option of fitting a flexible duct to exhaust the paint fumes to the outside.

As you're one of our colonial brethren, I hesitate to recommend anyone. That's for the the folks downunder :silly:

Simon

Ventilation is a necessity. You say the room has very little ventilation, if you started spraying some of the more volatile stuff you'd find out quickly how little ventilation there is. Spray Booths do not filter out the bad stuff, it pushes it outside where it dissipates quickly. If it's not ducted to the outside it serves very little purpose.

Thanks for the tip's. Looks like there will be a snake across the floor to the window in the lounge then. :evil:

Colonial eh! Havent been called that for a long time. Must remember to send the Queen a post card of thank's for stickin us on this nice sunny island that lot's of people pay to come to. :pp :D .

Hi Papa Smurf ;) .

There are a couple diffrent ways you could go with this. My suggestion is if you are all ready and itching to get some painting done NOW, then a temporary set up is the way to go. All you need is a nice sized cardboard box, a length of dryer vent tube, a small fan, and some duct tape. You can get small venilation fans designed for bathrooms at most hardware stores for pretty cheap prices. And the dryer vent tube is also very very cheap, and available from the same hardware store. And duct tape should be just about everywhere that also has the fan and tube. Then just put it all together.

temporary_paint_booth_20100315_1430904807.jpg

I also would suggest that you make sure that the fan moves enough air to be effective. If you get a measurement of how many cubic feet/meters your box is, you would want a fan that moves that many cubic feet/meters of air per second. Also while not necessary, a filter of some type would be a good idea so that you don't paint the side of the house what ever color you are running throught the airbrush, and also to cut down on the fumes you are pumping outside for your neighbors to get to deal with ;) .

And one thing that I missed on my litte art work above is to make a piece of wood or heavy cardboard with a round hole that the dryer vent tube fits through, that also blocks off the entire area of open window. That way the vented fumes will not come right back in the house through the opened window that the vent tube is sticking out of.

This will work fairly well as a temporary paint booth. And then if you like the idea, you can search the internet for airbrush paint booths to get some good plans to make a better, sturdier, more permanent one.

Gary B)

Thank's very much Gary and to all who replied to this question.

I have heard of this box set up but was not to sure it would work,but I am gonna give it a shot. By the way, how do you guy's set up your subject to paint?. Do you use a stand or hold it?.

Hi Smurff

I use those plastic spindles that you get stacks of blank CD/DVDs on. I drill a small hole in the underside of the vehicle and screw the vehicle to the spindle, or use Blue Tack to fix the model to the spindle.

This saves on having to touch the vehicle during the painting stages.

If it's a figure, I drill a small hole somewhere that won't be seen and fix the figure to a bamboo BBQ skewer with a small blob of Blue Tack.

Simon

Top idea, I have a few of these floatin about.S P Hammerton wrote:
Hi Smurff

I use those plastic spindles that you get stacks of blank CD/DVDs on. I drill a small hole in the underside of the vehicle and screw the vehicle to the spindle, or use Blue Tack to fix the model to the spindle.

This saves on having to touch the vehicle during the painting stages.

If it's a figure, I drill a small hole somewhere that won't be seen and fix the figure to a bamboo BBQ skewer with a small blob of Blue Tack.

Simon

One thing if you make your own, make sure the motor on the fan is rated to handle combustibles, hate to see things blow up in your face. Also the longer the hose, the more powerful fan you will need to move the air fast enough to do any good.

Rudi Richardson wrote:
A review on Armorama rates this portable spray booth pretty well: http://www.hobbytools.com.au/prod1145.htm

spraybooth_new.jpg

I bought a Hold 'n Fold from this crowd before (they're based in VIC); the prices are fair, and I received the item within 2 days (IIRC). I'm planning to buy one of the above booths from them some time this year :)

I believe that this is same booth that I have, and it's proved to be very sufficient to my needs. To make it even better, it can be upgraded with active carbon filter so it does actually filter out those harmful fumes (most of it anyways). BUT, I still use personal gas/vapour particulate respirator and recommend it strongly.

Back