• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Adventures from Hooterville

I went to measure some windows for a customer and noticed an unusually tall and straight tree in the yard. The homeowner wasn't there, so I couldn't get any back story. I looked online and found that it appears to be a redwood. Guess someone brought it to North Carolina, it's a cool tree.

Considering everything of the tree is toxic I don't think I'd want to try that.
Ooooo... Didn't know that the whole thing was toxic! :eek:

Too bad you didn't get one of those redwoods that got planted around there, now that would be something. There's a couple up here in Shelby that I have found.
Redwoods in the Carolinas? Interesting, would love to hear the story...

There's some really large ones near Moon Pup, you'll have to get the story from him. The owner of the home here in Shelby has passed away since, so I don't know that I can find that story now.

You got de bad mojo on dis new house, Mon! Best gitchu a chat wit Miss Marie! Get dem Mojos lifted! Poison trees! Whoddathunkit!? Still makes for a fine story. I mourn the purge of Der Baron's Albatross.

One bite at a time. Have a little faith, baby. Have a little faith.

I mourn the purge of Der Baron's Albatross.
No no...the Baron still has his ride. That was a very old 1:48 Eudard build. Actually it was a speed weekend build for Swanny's and I won my first Sotar with it. Can't remember the name of the guy who sponsored it. Really nice guy, good modeler but fell off posting anywhere.

There's some really large ones near Moon Pup, you'll have to get the story from him. The owner of the home here in Shelby has passed away since, so I don't know that I can find that story now.
What I was told by the director of the Abbeville Historical Society was Col James Monroe Perrin (one of the 5 Colonels of Abbeville Co) served in the Mexican American war. When the war was over and he was somewhere in Mexico he decided to visit California to see what all the fuss was about. Mind you this would be no small feat in 1848. I've asked several folks if there's any record of his visit out there but so far nothing been shared.
When he returned to Abbeville County he had several saplings of Redwoods that were planted around town. I can point out at least 3 that you can ride by and one you can see over the skyline of the town from one road out side town limits. I don't know where the 5th one is.

Your Mustang looks like one I built a long time ago. I gave it to a kid next door when we moved from FL. Gary S. XLV MMXXIV

Sorry to hear about all the house troubles Bob, they come part in parcel with home ownership!

Looks like the pups have a nice pad at the new place though!!! :mpup

Thanks Warren, yeah they are having a ball.
No contractors or repairs on site this week. I did some heavy lifting on the gardening side today. Nice to get out and try to kill things. I probably got 2 more trips to the old house to be done with the move. :hummm:

We've had a good two weeks now with no contractors on site. Had to get my guy back at the Casa da Dogwood to finish up some items that he left undone.
We have another contract on the old house and it feels good. Last one fell through, long story. This time the buyer seems very enthusiastic and has had some contractors on site to get estimates of what she wants done. I've already told her I'm leaving the compressor for her and she was ecstatic, seems she's into crafting so it'll come in handy.
Cindy and I have spent the last two weekends packing up and cleaning out the ol' garage. I'm happy to report that all kits and completed models (that made the dumpster cut) are now in Due West. All the shelving has been removed and I'm busy assembling them at the new shop. Not a fun task when I have no power or AC to cool things off and with the temps well into the 90s, this fat boy was hurtin'! I got to get the shelves put together to put the stuff up on them. I only got so much realestate inside the shop.
The really good news is I haven't been to the plant to work since the 16th (working from home) and I got a glowing review from my boss, that's with the official report someone put on me about being "Abrasive" (really long story but it has to do with a "project manager"). :rotf
I moved the Honey and the Baron up here wrapped up in bubble wrap and practically sitting in my lap on a special trip. Those were the two I was most worried about. I pulled the long suffering King Tiger up to my office I have a good base coat on it and I think I will try some oils to do the 3 color camo, the majority of it is assembled just needs to pull it all together (back together if you've seen it lately) and finish it off with some paints.
That's all from top of the telephone pole.
1630283214919.png

Oh for you geeks out there. I threw out my old Asus branded computer tower that I got like 1998. I was in the computer business as a VAR and had access to OEM hardware. I did run ASUS system boards on my computers. From 1997-2008 I build nearly 700 computers for customers.
This chasse served as my test rig trying out new system boards, sound cards, removable hard drives, CPUs, just everything. I kept it state of the art for the time, replacing video cards like every 3 months or so.
I documented the history this thing had with the intel logos, it was far more than 4 CPUs in this thing, probably had 2-3 different speeds of each one. Just not into upgrading computers like I use to be.
1630323782339.png

Last edited:
Good to hear that the big boy toys made to Hooterville safe and sound! Now we just need to get that work shop completed and you back at the bench....you gotz my number!
:victory:

Still getting estimates to lay the tile. The first estimate was way up in the stratosphere. (I guess they really didn't want to do it) Another estimate in the morning. If it is going to be this way for a while I am going to set up 2 of my bench tables in the living room and try and finish up something.

AND

Since Bob mentioned computers, I did a big OOPS on my keyboard a week ago. It got some Root Beer spilled in it. Not a huge amount, but enough to bugger up a couple of the keys.

Keyboard.jpg

Anyway, it is a Corsair K95 RGB and is a rather expensive unit and has some programmable keys on the left. I didn't want to just trash it. Also I have gotten quite spoiled with the mechanical key switches which are much easier to type on than the old one.

The solution: After taking it apart, removed 136 keycaps, 2 hidden screws, 25 screws holding the front panel-mechanical switches-main pc board to the back, and removing the 3 other small boards and wiring, it was cleaning time. Linus Tech Tips did a video about putting keyboards in the dishwasher. I placed the bottom part and the front panel/switches/main PCB in the dishwasher, added a "SMALL" amount of soap (about 2 teaspoons) to the first wash bucket and ran it through a cycle.

When that was done, I shook out all the water that I could without banging it on anything, then I took my shop vac and suctioned all the water out of the switches and other areas I could reach with it. Then it was set aside to dry for 3 days. This also cleaned all the other goop from the front side and I also ran the key caps through a thorough cleaning. Once reassembled, It all came up and worked like new. Several keys needed 5 or 6 presses to start working, but since then it is just like new.

Now to keep crap out of it and not spill anything in it for at least another 4 years.

I spent another hour in the Box today. You know, Carr the floorwalker The Box?
FYI, Carr was not a guard he was a trustee.

While unloading the truck and trailer I got real lazy and it looked a mess just dumping everything at the end. Getting some of the shelving stood up really helped.
1630373318240.png

It wasn't as crowded as all that.

1630373344609.png

A little shuffling later...
1630373371178.png

1630373383747.png

I gotta move all this stuff on the right over to the left, build up two racks of shelving then I can get all this stuff in the floor up and figure out where i"m going to put my work table and some other things.

Great news is my electrician is calling asking when he can start! Bad news is I can't pull that trigger yet because the tree blew our budgeting up.

There's plenty of room, just got to make smart use of it.

1630373545421.png

That's all from The Box today!

Last edited:
I don't think I"ve ever had a key board worth washing. I would generally issue a new keyboard and mouse for new folks. You think about it, they are highly personal items when you come right down to it.

Back