• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Adlertag!

blaaaaaaaaaarggs! i spent over three hours with masking the first canopy part only to notice that i forgot to dip the canopy in future before masking when i was almost done and had only two glass parts left!

those are moments when i want to quit modelling!

i went ahead anyway and dipped the canopy in future to seal the masking - on this occasion i did the same to the next two canopy parts!

why did i have to buy a flying glass house?

The Sisters Of Mercy - Lucretia My Reflection

canopymaskingpart1pic1.jpg

canopymaskingpart1pic2.jpg

it ain't perfect, it ain't much but hey, it's my first plane for over 20 years and it's a start!

g060.gif

A small stumble at the start means you're free and clear for the rest of the race. Looking forward to this one Laura. Starting to wish I had done this instead of the Hs-123.

James

oh yes, canopy masking - the most enjoyable part when building flying thingies :) Looks good, only, you dipped it with the masking on into future? hmmm never done that. I'm crossing fingers that the masks will not rise the future in the end.

Yeah-- I have done that with no ill effects before...and if you see a spot that looks like it might snag, a quick pass with a new knife blade with fix it...

Looks great Laura-- and yes, these canopies are the bane of my existence...the worst is that my favorite planes are dive and torpedo bombers...so I am always masking 4-6 different clear parts...

Am I the only one that paints decal strips to use for the framing and gussets? Take clear decal film (I still have some stock of Aeromaster Decals Interior Green, Zinc Chromate, RLM02 and RLM66) paint the interior color then the exterior. Cut into strips (after measuring twice with a micrometer), and apply.

Regards,

Am I the only one that paints decal strips to use for the framing and gussets? Take clear decal film (I still have some stock of Aeromaster Decals Interior Green, Zinc Chromate, RLM02 and RLM66) paint the interior color then the exterior. Cut into strips (after measuring twice with a micrometer), and apply.

:blink

simple, effective, genius!

thanks for that tip saúl!

Regards,

You're the only one with a micrometer.... :woohoo:

I have done this, and am liable to do it again. I've even toyed with the idea of really thin styrene stock.

Laura, We got the game on here....Attack Attack Attack!!!! :mpup (y)

MWAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!
a050.gif

to get away from masking i started with plastic gluing today! i'm not very overwhelmed about the mold quality but that's just a sidenote! what really annoyed me was that since i have to cut away and prepare everything for the pe to be glued in place after having painted the interior, i was naive enough to follow the revell pe instructions!
k022.gif

pe_instructions_error.jpg

the above scan shows a part in the upper left corner without number - well, it's part 127, but part 127 isn't included in the revell pe but in the eduard big ed set! then you see a part to be cut away - guess what, you have to cut it away if you are proud owner of the big ed set (or eduard's ju88 interior #32633) but NOT when you use the revell pe! i think i desperately searched the frets for 30 minutes for a part that should be glued in place! then i found it - in the eduard instructions on their homepage! the eduard instructions mention a part #106 ... not included in the revell set!
k022.gif

damage done and i will have to bend that part from spare pe or make from paper! brilliant! no big deal but nontheless annoying!

lesson learned, lesson learned!
a045.gif
AND double cross check with the big ed set instructions!

http://www.eduard.cz/products/pdf/n32/32633.pdf

It looks like the part is really just cosmetic. Instead of following the instructions so closely, check your references before and after reading the instructions. Also remember that just because Ed has the PE doesn't mean it's right or even needed. There is a part in the Wildcat gear well that is a cylinder, a pump I think, Ed represented it as a square box which looked like a junction box.

Attack Laura...Attack attack attack!!! We got the game on here...

No sweat Laura just keep moving along. I bet it will look great anyway.

TAKA TAKA TAKA TAKA......never fly in a strait line!!!! :laugh: :laugh: (Battle of Britain)

Terry ;)

C'mon Laura, I know this won't set you back! Glad it is not something really intricate and visible after closing up the cockpit... is it?

Regards,

it's no big deal but just annoying and was so unnecessary to do!

i wanted to cut it away, then lowered the knife in doubt, asking myself if pe in that place would be really needed and then thought "what the hell" and cut away the support for that tube thingy that has to go in place ... so unnecessary! gna!

but this is part of the fun, isn't it? improvising and scratching ... with a tamiya kit i would have done some improvisation voluntarily!

Revell has it's own packaging of the Eduard stuff? Must be a "Zoom" set or something. Fret not, my friend- there's always one irksome little b@stard in every set. At ;eats yours is not from those diabolical wizards at Aber! ;)

Cheers!
chuk

the times when i was afraid of pe are long over, i remember very well my first pe steps when i didn't even dare to breathe while handling the parts! ;)

made some progress ... more cutting away details and gluing as many parts in place as possible to prime and paint the interior, then i glued the fuselage bottom in place and of course i ended up with a beautiful gap, so it was time for mr white and mr green, sanding, more sanding and even more sanding plus rescribing some panel lines for the first time - i'll do another run of mr white and sand again until that annoying gap is completely gone!

firewalls/wing support thingies and both fuselage parts are dryfitted only!

Sturm Café - Der Löwe ist zurück

cockpit2.jpg

cockpit1.jpg

fuselage1.jpg

g060.gif

Fantastic! That was a nasty seam, and nasty location, looks fine from here. Great progress. I"m still sanding on windscreens over here...

Thats looking good Laura. I haven't checked my kit, bit with the fuse buttoned up like that will you be able to get in and paint all the little stuff?? The more Ju 88s I see the more I want to build mone. Must resist though for a bit longer.
James

Back