• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Adam Baker: Befehlsjager 38 (Complete!)

Adam Baker: Befehlsjager 38 Ausf.M (Update 3/17)

Thanks guys. Was able to get the green down for hte camo tonight. Didn't go nearly as well as it did last night, had a lot of trouble getting my airbrush to cooperate. It would go from just air, to spraying a blob of paint with almost no movement in the trigger, where as last night I had really good luck getting it to spray the brown w/o blobbing on me.

I'm going to work on fixing the major problem areas created tonight, but overall I'm gonna let it go for now, and see how it looks after the weathering & such go down, in the hopes that it'll all just blend together.

Befehlsjager%20071.jpg

Befehlsjager%20072.jpg

Befehlsjager%20073.jpg

Adam Baker: Befehlsjager 38 Ausf.M (Update 3/18)

I think your Camo looks great ..... & the weathering can hide a multitude of sins ..... carry one .... :soldier

Adam Baker: Befehlsjager 38 Ausf.M (Update 3/17)

Thanks guys. Was able to get the green down for hte camo tonight. Didn't go nearly as well as it did last night, had a lot of trouble getting my airbrush to cooperate. It would go from just air, to spraying a blob of paint with almost no movement in the trigger, where as last night I had really good luck getting it to spray the brown w/o blobbing on me.

I'm going to work on fixing the major problem areas created tonight, but overall I'm gonna let it go for now, and see how it looks after the weathering & such go down, in the hopes that it'll all just blend together.

Befehlsjager%20071.jpg

Befehlsjager%20072.jpg

Befehlsjager%20073.jpg

Might be from using the 91 % Adam . That stuff dries super quick :) I think it's probably better suited for more constan spray patterns

Actually I only use the 91% for cleaning the Tamiya. I use Tamiya thinner for thinning the paints b/c I just found that it gave me the best results instead of trying to use something else, but I don't ever use it for cleaning, its too expensive for that, so I use the cheap 91% for that.

The problems I was having I think were actually issues w/ my airbrush. I think its probably time for a complete strip down and run it through my sonic cleaner, its been awhile since I've done that. It kinda felt like the trigger was sticking a bit last night, didn't want to give smooth trigger action.

Don't trust the ultrasonic cleaner to get it good and clean. I did a strip down the other day and found the nozzles on both my ABs were caked up with old paint. I took a brush with lacquer thinner and scrubbed the inside out really well and got all sorts of residue out.

Yea, I usually rely on the cleaner to get most of the crud, and to help loosen stuff, and then afterwards go back over all of it w/ a fine brush and more cleaner and a scraper to get anything else that's left.

Don't trust the ultrasonic cleaner to get it good and clean. I did a strip down the other day and found the nozzles on both my ABs were caked up with old paint. I took a brush with lacquer thinner and scrubbed the inside out really well and got all sorts of residue out.

I agree with that Bob . That little biddy nozzle hides stuff that normal cleaning leaves behind . Tried to point that out months ago but only got a fur ball for my efforts.

A bit of manual labor is needed.

Cheers, Christian B)

I run cheap window cleaner, 91% alcohol and then Createx airbrush cleaner through mine after every color change.

Very nice looking tank Adam! I can see it coming along nicely. The weathering and dirt added on should tone it down and blend things quite nicely.

As to the tracks you are right in that they shouldn't have any rust on them. As I read one post elsewhere it was stated that any vehicle in constant service would have to be maintained AND that the process of driving it would cause the dirt and movement to polish the links so that they would have a bright brushed finish when not covered with mud. So any high spots or places that rub like road wheel tires and alignment tabs would also show bright metal. A slight film of dirt would just tone that down slightly. :hmmm

Looking forward to seeing it finished! (y)

Thought I'd throw up this picture. This is a bottle of 91% rubbing alcohol, after after 30 minutes in my sonic cleaner, w/ my airbrush in it.

After reassembly, there's much smoother trigger action, and I think I know at least partially why. I got some Iwata airbrush lube awhile back, and occasionally I've been adding a drop into the trigger, and it appears that over time its gummed the trigger up a bit. Trigger is much smoother now, so I'm gonna work on touching up the camo, should hopefully go much better tonight.

20150319_193048.jpg

Adam Baker: Befehlsjager 38 Ausf.M (Update 3/25)

Finally moving onto sealing things up. Got all the panels & such glued in place last night, and then started sealing it all up tonight.

Here's all the panels in place. I tell ya this was a real pain in the butt. The paint layer made the panel hinges not fit right so it took a bit of work to get them all on and stay there, but I got it. I have the engine hatches open a bit more than I'd originally thought about having them, but I like it. The biggest thing I'm not sure about is the drivers hatch. The left side hatch is blocked from going any farther by the turret lock, but the right side hatch I didnt know how far it would open, so I just put it vertical and left it.

Befehlsjager%20078.jpg

Befehlsjager%20079.jpg

First coat of future is down.

Befehlsjager%20082.jpg

Just got the 2nd coat down, and hoping to get at least a 3rd coat down before the evening is out, and then all of it into the dehydrator so that I can start weathering tomorrow night.

I think I'm on a good schedule to get it all done by the 1st, but we'll see. Not gonna be able to work on it Friday night b/c of my monthly model club meeting, and then at least Saturday I'll be down helping my mom so be loosing a couple days but I still think I can get it done.

Adam Baker: Befehlsjager 38 Ausf.M (Update 3/25)

Been a productive evening. Managed to get the few decals needed, and then started the weathering, which at this stage is just Flory ProModeller Black wash.

Befehlsjager%20084.jpg

Befehlsjager%20085.jpg

Befehlsjager%20091.jpg

Going to let the wash dry overnight, and then tomorrow morning I'll probably start working on an oil paint dot filter.

Really thinking I might actually get this done by Monday.

Adam Baker: Befehlsjager 38 Ausf.M (Update 3/26)

Wow! This is looking great!

Terry (y)

Back