• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

A Tribute to my Grandad

Thanks Gerry :notworthy

Managed to paint the plane, yellow cowling "collar" - I am still in doubt whether or not this was actually white. I think I might leave it yellow, there is plenty of reference to that effect, I shall see.

Pitot tube in place, upper MG in place, replaced the antenna wire as it was too saggy, it looked stupid. There is a blob of CA showing in these pics, that will be taken care of shortly.

Mud flaps done too.

Now it's masking the canopy time, this will keep me busy for a couple of days. Apart from a loooooooong canopy, the plane was a 3 seater, there are also two side "windows" that can be seen in the pics, plus another one on the belly. This sounds more like a modern touring bus than a WW2 plane, but that was the design :D

New antenna wire

hecf533a.JPG

Mud flaps
hde6343d.JPG

Pitot tube - upper MG
h20c1e5d.JPG

Thanks for watching,

Laurence

That is one busy plane Laurence (y) . Can't say I envy you all the glass . Hope at least it fit like it's supposed to .

Looking forward to the finish :popcorn

Cheers, Christian B)

Yeah ... very nice additions ... really like the mud scrappers ... must have been for muddy landing fields ... excellent work She's better than anything I've been able to cobble together ... :pilot :woohoo: (y)

Yeah ... very nice additions ... really like the mud scrappers ... must have been for muddy landing fields ... excellent work She's better than anything I've been able to cobble together ... :pilot :woohoo: (y)

First off, thank you one and all for your kindest words.

I think the mud scrapers were more useful for after take-off. Come to think about it, when the plane takes off, the mud remains on the wheels and becomes a solid piece of irregular shape, having a bad impact on balance of the plane (in extreme cases of course), and, when coming to landing, if it had some big blobs of solidified mud, which can be very tough , maybe even sharp , would have acted like an anchor, helping with the nose dive, bad idea ...
For landing ...well .... I think the scrapers do help somehow, bu those airfields were grass in summer and all else in bad weather, from dirt to snow. Well, that's my opinion on the matter,happy to listen to other thoughts.

In terms building this thing, hit another snag. The decals that came with the kit - totally wrong size and colour. See the photo below

h3d2d687.JPG

Now, look at the original photo

hc7eed00_2016-03-15.JPG

The cross (can only see the lower parts of it on the original, look where those two prongs are, compared to the decal, also the colour. The decal is much too bright and light, it should have been very close to the vertical ribbon.

Thankfully, RB Productions (Radu Branzan) have designed and produced decals for 1/72 Romanian planes, acquired that thing in a hurry and now I'm in the process of sticking them onto the model. Fiddly little things but they are the correct ones. Photos coming soon.

Thank you for watching,

Laurence

Thank you Gents :notworthy

Here are two photos of the IAR with the correct decals, big difference if I may say so myself.

h6536ff0.JPG

h63886f3.JPG

Thank you

Laurence

Way too kind with your comments :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Nearly done. Canopy and belly window remaining, will be done over the next few days, I hope.

h1894c9f.JPG

hae05f9d.JPG

Thank you for watching,

Laurence

Back