• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

A Scratch built 1:1 Scale Cabinet 2012

Re: Another birthday project. Update November 18, 2012

This is not your average woodworking project! Really nice, Bob- cheers!

Hey Chuck, thanks!

Yeah, a touch artsy! :D

Bob

That's just stunning, looks like cracked marble. :notworthy :notworthy

Thanks son.

Actually those cracks are supposed to be veins! :yipee

Dad

Ditto with Bob! Outstanding job!!!

All the best!
Dusan.

Thanks Dusan, I appreciate that!

All the best to you as well!

Bob

Re: Another birthday project. Update October 23, 2012

i'm sure glad to have checked out this latest madness of yours bob!

leonardo da vinci was a multitalent and you are like leonardo - whatever you start, you do it in perfection as if you never did anything else ...

amazing! :notworthy

Re: Another birthday project. Update October 23, 2012

i'm sure glad to have checked out this latest madness of yours bob!

leonardo da vinci was a multitalent and you are like leonardo - whatever you start, you do it in perfection as if you never did anything else ...

amazing! :notworthy

Thanks Laura,

But if you were here watching me do this, I think you'd change your mind about me and Leonardo. The main difference in me and him is I believe he probably knew what he was doing. :yipee

Anyway, I am still working on finishing the capital. There are so many steps in achieving the "Look" I want. More progress on the upper left side, but I think I will wrap it up tomorrow. If I remember correctly, there are 19 different phases, (Base coats, washes, drybrushing, stippling, blending, applying the veins and then feathering them, sponge stippling, more washes, more stippling, pin washes, and so on), to get the look that is across the lower section. Here are two photos.

Capitalside.jpg

This photo had a bit too much light when I photographed it, effectively bleaching the intensity of the patina. The photo above is closer to the real color of the patina.

CapitalFront01.jpg

I have also got the first 4 steps done on the shelf unit itself and have began the first wash.

Shelvespatina.jpg

Bob

Re: Another birthday project. Update November 17, 2012

This is just GORGEOUS, Poppy. I still have trouble believing someone besides Forrest would go to that much trouble for me. I will always endeavor to be as good a daughter as you are a father. :)

Hi Bob,

What an amazing piece of art! I showed it to Gerda and she realy loved it to, she asked me; "can't you make me something like that?' I reminded her that I build her a wardrobe only 2 months ago, but somehow she thinks IKEA isn't as impressive as a real Bob Letterman :yipee

Go figure :idonno

Please send my best to Susan!

erik

This is just GORGEOUS, Poppy. I still have trouble believing someone besides Forrest would go to that much trouble for me. I will always endeavor to be as good a daughter as you are a father. :)

Thanks Sweetheart,

I'm glad you like it, you'll be seeing it in person and finished in about two weeks when I deliver it to Springfield on your birthday!

Pop

Hey Junior,

Did ya' see your sis posted? :yipee

Dad

Hi Bob,

What an amazing piece of art! I showed it to Gerda and she realy loved it to, she asked me; "can't you make me something like that?' I reminded her that I build her a wardrobe only 2 months ago, but somehow she thinks IKEA isn't as impressive as a real Bob Letterman :yipee

Go figure :idonno

Please send my best to Susan!

erik

Hey Erik, It's been awhile! I don't know how I stay so busy when I'm retired. I thought when you retired, you were supposed to be relaxed! Didn't work for me! Say Hi to Gerda and Miranda for me!

This thing turned into a lot more work than I thought, but somehow I always manage to underestimate building things. I though this would be a month's work, but then, as usual, I keep adding things............

Susan says Hi!

Bob

Re: Another birthday project. Update November 22, 2012

I finally finished up the capital and gave it three coats of clear flat varnish to seal it. I can now set this aside and complete the shelf unit. When everything is complete, the capital will be the final part to attach. Here are close up shots of the sculptures.

ForrestPatina.jpg

GailPatina.jpg

Then various close up details.

rtcapital.jpg

ltcapital.jpg

centerpatina.jpg

lowerpatina.jpg

And the completed capital.

CapitalFront01.jpg

I loaded the shelf unit onto the work table and will begin the aging process to match it with the capital tomorrow.

shelfbottom.jpg

shelftop.jpg

More later,

Bob

Hey Sis! Happy Thanksgiving!

:coolio

Looking fantastic Dad. :mpup

Thanks Junior!

I think she likes it!

Finally finished the patina. All that is left to do now is the granite shelf-tops and the button tufted panels on the interior walls.

Curio01.jpg

Curio02.jpg

Here is a close up for detail

Curio03.jpg

So far, so good!

The next time I post it will be after she has it. I'll take photos but won't post them until after her birthday on the 8th!

That'll give her a bit of a surprise anyway!

Bob

Re: Another birthday project. Update November 29, 2012

Hi Bob, This is a really cool project!!! That finish is just AWESOME :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Randy

Wow, I missed a lot of progress!! Last time I looked at it was over 2 weeks ago.

Absolutely gorgeous work Bob!

Thanks Junior!

I think she likes it!

Finally finished the patina. All that is left to do now is the granite shelf-tops and the button tufted panels on the interior walls.

Curio01~0.jpg

Curio02~0.jpg

Here is a close up for detail

Curio03~0.jpg

So far, so good!

The next time I post it will be after she has it. I'll take photos but won't post them until after her birthday on the 8th!

That'll give her a bit of a surprise anyway!

Bob

I know Big Sis is going to love this. Amazing job Dad :coolio

Thanks much Adam and Randy,

Thanks Junior,

I'm beginning to think she will!

Got the shelves finished today, plus a couple of other things.

Here is the capital with the brass trim across the top.

Lgcapital.jpg

Then I applied the Granite surface material to the shelf tops and edged with K&S square tube trim across the front.

LgShelves01.jpg

Lgshelves02-1.jpg

Close up to show brass trim.

Lgshelves03.jpg

LgShelves04.jpg

Lgshelves05.jpg

I always like to go back to where I began. This is the inspiration curio that I told Gail I thought I could build a better one.

May72012014~0.jpg

May72012013~1.jpg

All that is left now is to install the button tufted panels such as the one shown, 8 altogether.

Bob

Re: Another birthday project. Update December 1, 2012

Sure is a wonderful looking piece of furniture from a Master Craftsman. My hat is off to you Bob.

Cheers

Sure is a wonderful looking piece of furniture from a Master Craftsman. My hat is off to you Bob.

Cheers

Thanks Tankbuilder,

Since it was my first piece of furniture from scratch, I don't think I qualify as a craftsman but I appreciate your support!

Bob

Cheers

Thanks Tankbuilder,

Since it was my first piece of furniture from scratch, I don't think I qualify as a craftsman but I appreciate your support!

Bob

You are unmodestly modest Bob. VBG The results speak for themselves. That I could well be displayed in a furniture museum that showcase ultra fine works. Your daughter is a very fortunate woman to be getting such a fine piece.

Cheers

Cheers

Thanks Tankbuilder,

Bob

You are unmodestly modest Bob. VBG The results speak for themselves. That I could well be displayed in a furniture museum that showcase ultra fine works. Your daughter is a very fortunate woman to be getting such a fine piece.

Cheers

Wow! unmodestly modest eh? That's a new one. I don't think I've ever been called that!

Well I appreciate your comments, I have to admit, I think it looks pretty good for a first time.

I'm processing the photos and will post them shortly.

Bob

Back