• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Very sad news!

bob letterman

Master at Arms
Staff member
We just got a call from Laura, Lewis Pruneau's daughter. Lewis passed away last night in the hospital from a very long and lingering illness. He was Susan's and my very best friend. He has called me daily for the last six months and I could hear him failing. Lewis was 6' 3" tall and most of his life was a trim 240 pounds. He had dropped to a frail 160 pounds. When he called me yesterday his blood pressure was at 77/40. They were trying to get him into the hospital but, due to Covid, there were no rooms available. Apparently, after we hung up, they finally admitted him. He had lost a kidney to cancer last year, he had congestive heart failure, Bladder cancer, a defibrillator and a pacemaker. The hospital listed his death as from the Congestive heart failure.

I have been posting his story and his dioramas on my Master's forum in parts, "My Buddy Lewis Pruneau", I just posted part three yesterday. He was an old fashioned guy and hated computers. I'd talk to him daily and read him the comments and he seemed to really enjoy them. I plan to continue those posts. Lewis was one of a kind. When they made him, they broke the mold. A bull in the china closet and a barroom brawler, but, he was as soft and compassionate as a marshmallow inside. He was a devout Catholic and had a priest with him when he passed away. Lewis had more artistic talent in his little finger than I have in my entire body. We will never see his likes again.May God bless him and we'll never forget him. We feel privileged to have shared forty years of our lives with that amazing man.

Here is the last photo I have of him just before we moved from St. Louis to Springfield. Left to right. My daughter Gail, me, Susan, Lewis, Wes Bradley and Wes' daughter Alexis. 2016..

All6_zps4b4d5e99 copy.jpg

Bob and Susan Letterman

Last edited:
I have no words to make the sudden death of your dear friend any easier to bear, Sir.
I know this right here Life is a finite affair. Not one of us gets out alive. I have said many times "At the end of our days, all we really leave behind is our Story. Make it a good one!" Lew's story is most excellent.

For myself, I feel as if I am indebted to you for sharing Lewis' story as you have. I only met him the one time and I didn't know who he was at the time. I only have one teeny Lewis Pruneau story to share. It seems insignificant compared to the lifetime of model fun and hilarity you men shared. Still, I feel thunderstruck by the news of Lewis taking his Trip up to Heaven.

Here on the sunny Iowa prairie, our prayers will be for you, Susan, Lewis' family and your friends.
May the Lord make his face shine upon you. May the Lord's love bless you and keep you.

If you can bear to, please post details of Lewis' services. You never know what model hahnyaaks may wish to attend. I promise to behave. Well. Such as best I am able.

I'm sorry to hear this news. The world has lost a great talent.

I've not had much social interaction w/ modelers in general, so have never had the opportunity to meet any of the legends. My condolences Bob. :cry:

This song also seemed fitting for a sad day such as this. As self-appointed DJ of Modeler's Alliance, I hope my choices bring a little inspiration.
Now, since I believe Lewis may have exhorted us all to do so, I'm going to go work on (play with) several of my models.
Glasses will be raised. Prayers will be offered up. Courage for the days to come. Laughter for the days gone by.

What a shock, after reading so much about him you'd like to think one would know him.
Sincere condolences to all the family. He does seem a giant of a man.

So sorry to hear of Lewis Pruneau's passing. I knew him a little during the 1980s, when he was with IPMS/Gateway and then helped form IPMS/St. Louis (which evolved into IPMS/Mark Twain Model Club). While I didn't know the man much at all, I certainly knew of his scale modeling work. A first-rate diorama builder, Lewis' dioramas never failed to impress on the first and the 40th viewings. Such a shock to hear of his passing. He will be most missed by those who knew him, and by the scale modeling community. RIP, Lewis.

What a shock!
Very sad to hear about Lewis's passing. My condolences to you and Susan who knew him so well.
I only met Lewis once and could not say I knew him but he gave the time to speak with me as a young modeller and had a major impact on my whole life with models, inspiring many model projects and setting a bench mark for me strive for.
A model legend who will be sadly missed.

Bob, very sorry for your loss. You and Susan and Lewis' family have my condolences.

I am very glad that you decided to post some of his work here. Though I might have seen some of his work in the past, I had never heard of Lewis' name until you did and his work was truly amazing!

I can't think of a better way to honour him than to continue posting some of his work here for members and visitors to enjoy. I look forward to them.

So many thinks to all you guys, Lewis loved to hear your comments over the years. I will continue posting the Lewis Pruneau threads on my forum. His daughter Laura has the link to those and will read them in the future. I feel like I have lost a brother. Life will seem strange without Lewis' daily phone calls.

Bob

Back