• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

A Panzer In The Sand

Iron Mike

Master At Arms And Resident Curmudgeon
Just so you Brits have something to shoot at! :laugh:

IMG_5201.JPG

IMG_5202.JPG

IMG_5203.JPG

IMG_5204.JPG

May not start for a couple weeks, but I'll be there at the end. I was holding this kit to build as Mini Me to Big Dog's F2, but it appears that isn't gonna happen any time soon (nudge, nudge). :(

:drinks

OK, yesterday's medication affected my sleep, so got up at 6AM on my day off! Made coffee, checked the mail, pulled out the Panzer to mess with the hull a bit. After having my usual 1/2 pot of coffee and breakfast, today's meds kicked in and I looked like this...

Beavis.jpg

Was in hyper drive until about 1PM, then started sweating bullets, felt awful!! Nap time until about 3PM, came back in to complete the assembly. What a great little kit!! The carpet monster snagged a grab handle, made a replacement from solder.

IMG_5206.JPG

IMG_5207.JPG

IMG_5208.JPG

IMG_5213.JPG

I added an aluminum barrel from RB Model, excellent piece! Ready to prime! :drinks

Hey thanks, guys!! I primed the tank yesterday, brought it inside and was talking to Chris on the phone. I started messing with the turret, thought I'd drop it in and take a couple pictures. WRONG! The turret would not come back out!! Stuck! :pinch: No manner of persuasion would get it to come back out and worse, parts started coming off! :bang head SO, I decided to paint the whole damned thing in situ!

IMG_5250.JPG

You can see the scratch in the primer from my efforts.

IMG_5251.JPG

IMG_5252.JPG

I mixed up some IJN Gray XF-77 with Tamiya lacquer thinner and added a thin coat of the gray over the base.

IMG_5253.JPG

IMG_5254.JPG

When I got home today, I shot two heavy coats of Rave hairspray over the basecoat.

IMG_5255.JPG

When that dried, I made a mixture of Dark Yellow and Deck Tan, thinned heavily with X-20A thinner and shot a splotchy coat over the gray.

IMG_5256.JPG

IMG_5257.JPG

IMG_5258.JPG

The dunkelgelb was applied in the field, guessing it wasn't as consistent as the base gray. I let this dry long enough to take pictures, then it was off to the sink! Using a little tap water and my fiberglass pencil, I dampened an area and rubbed the bristles over the paint. The results were immediate.

IMG_5260.JPG

IMG_5261.JPG

IMG_5262.JPG

IMG_5263.JPG

The areas used by the crew to mount and dismount were worn, I'll add some rust to the muffler and so forth in the days to come. Comments, suggestions and questions always welcome. :drinks

My wife says men can't multitask :rotf I believe you saved the day Mike . I like the way this is shaping up (y)

Cheers, Christian B)

Cool. It looks a bit stark, but I can imagine when you wqeather how awesome that is going to look. Well done Mike (y) (y) (y)
James

Yeah, I always hate the starkness right out of the booth, but the filters and such will mellow the colors. I hope. :pinch:

Back