• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

''A'' for Arado!

matrixone

After being down with illness recently I am feeling much better now and started a couple of new kits and one of them is this 1/72 scale Dragon Arado Ar234P.
As usual with Dragon kits it looks great in the box but the fit of the parts leaves something to be desired, the drawings on the instruction sheet could be a little clearer too. :unsure:
I have made some good progress on this model, the cockpit and some other parts have been put together. Next time I have the airbrush out I will paint the RLM 66 on the cockpit and start detail painting on it.
407504487.jpg

407504488.jpg

Matrixone

The 234 is one of my favorites and I've built several of these dragon kits but not this specific version.

I'll be :popcorn

Dave,
I have built a few of these 1/72 scale Dragon kits before but not any of the Arado 234's, my experience with these kits are usually some poor fitting areas but the finished models look very nice.

Just finished spraying the cockpit parts RLM 66 and after the paint is dry enough I can start detail painting.

Matrixone

Detail painting on the cockpit parts is as done as its going to get...no sense freaking out about the detail inside the cockpit because once the canopy is on not all that much is going to be seen. :(
407528023.jpg

The fuselage halves are also put together and have plenty of weight glued in.

h09db7b6.JPG

ha80ee7e.JPG

The instrument panel (not seen here) has also been painted and is ready to be glued in.

Matrixone

Thanks Sherman, Bob, and Luiz!

Sherman,
Like other Dragon 1/72 scale Luftwaffe subjects the fit of the parts is a mix of good and bad, sometimes the fit can be really bad.
Some of these Dragon kits can be a hassle to construct but usually turn into a good looking model in the end.

Matrixone

Nice job Les,

I don't recall ever hearing of the 234. Looks like something that would have been used in Vietnam!

:popcorn

If I remember correctly Les the engine assembly to wing was the worst part that had to be sorted. Looking good so far!

Warren,
The four engine Arado 234 did have very good performance for such an old design and could have been useful in Vietnam.

Dave,
Thanks for the heads up about the fit of the engine pods, I have not even tried to dry fit them yet, my plan of attack is to get the fuselage finished and almost ready for paint first and then deal with the wings and engines.
I am pacing myself with this build and am trying to get the Arado and the B&V P.194 ready for painting so I can paint them at the same time.

Matrixone

Than you Ian! :good:

Like Dave said the engine pods were not a brilliant fit, I ended up using plastic sheet to help fair in the rear fairing on the bottom side...the fit here was terrible.
I also had to spend some time blending in the top and bottom half clear parts of the forward fuselage, how could Dragon have messed this up so badly?!

h1321ee3.JPG

hcf3e5c1.JPG

Matrixone

Now I know I'm jumping way ahead here, but would this be a candidate for a "Wilde Sau' camo pattern ??. The one that springs to mind is the 76 light grey topsides with the 'scribble' of Grey Violet and black undersides and a 'rot' fuselage band.

Ian

Thank you James, and thanks for the painting suggestion Ian.

What I have planned for this Arado is black undersurfaces and wispy mottle of gray over a base of pale RLM 76 on the upper surfaces.

Matrixone

Back