• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

A fictional P-40 for a bit of fun! (AMtech 1/48

sharkman

Master at Arms
Quite awhile back I purchased a group of 3 AMtech P-40E's from Ebay for about $20 I think. One is going to be a Brazilian machine someday, the other is going to be an American bird but I thought I'd have some fun with the third one. I came up with this neat paint scheme for it and some may have seen it when I first came to this forum. It won't be for everyone!

Its almost complete, I was just waiting to getting around to ordering some custom decals from Jbot decals and finally did. Just put the last of the decals on this evening and should have it finished up soon.

This is what it looked like where I left off. Would have taken some new pics tonight but the camera battery was dead.

I had some inspiration from American, German and British planes but the three biggest where some sort of tiger stripe like paint scheme, using the emblam from JG1 as a roundel and some paintwork from a FW 190.

Some of the additions:
- an air intake from a BF 109 on the port side
- new gun sight
- bomb mount from a BF 109, a radar dome from a corsair and the rocket mounts from a beaufighter
- tail wheel from a corsair and the main landing gear wheels are from a FW 189
- small screens in the intakes

Some pics of the build process:

Paint

This has been a lot of fun so far and I'm looking forward to finishing it!

I've been busy with life and haven't been on much lately. Currently gearing up for a busy field sampling season at work and looking at renovating the basement to make a playroom for my daughter but I am hoping to get back to the bench (at least a little before the summer is over) and get back to some of my other projects on the go.

Interesting scheme ! I guess you must not of had any spare floats :rotf

What is your impression of the AMtech kit ? I have never built one but I have a couple in the closet.

Looks pretty good in the box. :)

Cheers, Christian B)

Looks very cool. Has a Sky Captain look to it almost.So what do custom decals from Jbot run? Have some schemes in mind that I'd rather not piece together.

I count two shark mouths, what is not to like?
potato-pancake.gif

Regards,

Interesting scheme ! I guess you must not of had any spare floats :rotf

What is your impression of the AMtech kit ? I have never built one but I have a couple in the closet.

Looks pretty good in the box. :)

Cheers, Christian B)

Nah, no floats for this one! I think the P-40 would look weird with floats!

I like the AMtech kit. Its simple but has some nice features. With just a little addition, it looks really good built up Chris!

Looks very cool. Has a Sky Captain look to it almost.So what do custom decals from Jbot run? Have some schemes in mind that I'd rather not piece together.

Hey Nerdling, Jim's fee is 20 Dollars an hour for drawing the art. Printing fee depends on the number of colours and the overall size of the art on a page. A page can be 7.9 inches wide and 12.75 inches long.

From my experience with these first ones, definitely worth it!

A fictional P-40 for a bit of fun! (AMtech 1/48)

A view from the top, have to try some weathering now....

A fictional P-40 for a bit of fun! (AMtech 1/48)

Clearing out the shelf of doom!

Got this one finished! This was merely an exercise in masking and painting, and just having some fun!

You scared Me Warren .... I thought I had missed a complete thread ..... Love it .... Brilliant Job ..... I was just thinking did Colonial Vipers ever Have shark mouths ..... ???

Back