• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

A few things I have NOT been working on

Old Dog

My apologies to Frank for the title but sometimes my weird sense of humor kicks in and I can't help myself. The following are kits on hold, which is different than the SOD, the SOD kits will probably never be completed I just haven't decided to bin them yet. Kits on hold I fully intend to finish in time.

First up is the Dornier Do 335B-8. This was the Tamiya B-2 kit with a Paragon conversion set. The B-8 was to have been a high altitude night fighter which incorporated the Heinkel designed high aspect ratio long span wings. The kit was started and the original build log was entered in the Defense of the Reich group build at Swanny's models back in 2008. It was completed to the point shown below in early 2009 and shelved until I could master the night fighter scheme. In the intervening years I have tried to master the technique involved on multiple occasions and have repainted my paint mule at least three times and as of this time I have only come close to being happy enough with the result to attempt doing it on the model. Maybe someday !
sod01.jpg

Next up is the Hasegawa F-104C which I started back in 2018 for one of the campaigns here. It currently is as shown below. Other than stating that I really hate masking I have no other comment to make on this one.
sod02.jpg

Also started in 2018 is this Hasegawa D3A1 Val again for a campaign here. I decided to use a CMK resin interior and all went well until I got to the gunners position in the back and ran into some fit issues and some very fiddly parts which eventually wore me down and I decided to move. I'd really like to finish this one but the mojo is not up to it yet.
sod03.jpg

Lastly this 1/32 Hawker Typhoon. This is the old Revell kit festooned with rivets and raised detail and not much in the way of cockpit detail. I added an MDC resin pit and have a set of their rockets to use on it as well. I wanted to do a car door bird with invasion stripes but it seems most of the car door versions had either been converted to bubble tops or out of service by the time of the invasion. Fortunately I was able to find a photo of one that was used. I decided not to fool with removing the rivets as I thought it gave it that flying tank look. It got this far when I ran out of steam. That was back in 2012, still waiting for the steam to return.
sod04.jpg

I currently have four kits in various stages of completion, two of which also date back quite a ways and hope to have them ready to post in the next month or so.
As always, thanks for looking !

Git'er done Gary! I find that unfinished kits have a way of making me feel guilty about starting another one, and then I don't get any modeling done at all. Better for me to go ahead and finish them with the skills I have at the time. I built the Val and used the kit parts and had fun. Not using too much resin anymore unless it's a conversion to make a model I really can't get any other way, or fixing up an old kit like the Hawk PT-20.

If I don't build my skills go backwards, just like my landings used to when I was out of the cockpit too long.

I've really been thinking of kicking off a Shelf Queen III. Who doesn't have a shelf queen right?

Don't feel bad Gary, I have 5 large kits that go back to the 1980's that are partly or mostly done and stopped for various reasons.
-1/9th scale Kubelwagen, Motor is done, but it needed so much rework to get it all right that it went back on the shelf.
-1/9th scale Kettenkrad, same as the Kubel.
-1/6th scale Tamiya BMW motorcycle. Got this one mostly done but the chrome pipes killed this one. I have found something to use for the pipes, but just have not gotten back to it yet.
-1/8th scale 1938 Citroen by IMAI (Heller) One of the most detailed 1/8 kits I have seen. Very involved, but finished the engine and got distracted.
-1/16th scale Bugatti Royal Type 41 from ENTEX. Have the chassis all assembled with fenders. Body is all painted but came up with a major fit problem putting the body on the chassis so it got packed away.

I guess I have too much of an OCD - I cannot imagine leaving a kit unfinished. Either complete it or toss it in the bin (have done that a few times). Maybe I should take on a more relaxed Approach like you.

Cheers

Alex

Each of those kits I boxed up needed something that was either not available at the time, some experience that I didn't have or both. I went through a divorce that put my hobby on the skids for about 20 years or they would have been finished long ago. I still have trouble going in and sitting down to build. Once I do and get started I enjoy it, but some days it just doesn't happen.

I guess I have too much of an OCD - I cannot imagine leaving a kit unfinished. Either complete it or toss it in the bin (have done that a few times).

Sometimes I wish I had more of this. I definitely seem to start more than I finish. :bang head

On the upside, I did sit down and spend half hour cleaning up some decals on the Phantom last night.

Hopefully the itch to continue on them comes back Gary. Looking forward to seeing them eventually.

I can honstly say I have finished a Shelf Queen in the last month. The Fw190 Nightfighter spent about 7 years on the shelf. Now I am building a new kit and maybe the next one will be another SQ to finish.

My apologies to Frank for the title but sometimes my weird sense of humor kicks in and I can't help myself. The following are kits on hold, which is different than the SOD, the SOD kits will probably never be completed I just haven't decided to bin them yet. Kits on hold I fully intend to finish in time.

First up is the Dornier Do 335B-8. This was the Tamiya B-2 kit with a Paragon conversion set. The B-8 was to have been a high altitude night fighter which incorporated the Heinkel designed high aspect ratio long span wings. The kit was started and the original build log was entered in the Defense of the Reich group build at Swanny's models back in 2008. It was completed to the point shown below in early 2009 and shelved until I could master the night fighter scheme. In the intervening years I have tried to master the technique involved on multiple occasions and have repainted my paint mule at least three times and as of this time I have only come close to being happy enough with the result to attempt doing it on the model. Maybe someday !
View attachment 123443

Next up is the Hasegawa F-104C which I started back in 2018 for one of the campaigns here. It currently is as shown below. Other than stating that I really hate masking I have no other comment to make on this one.
View attachment 123444

Also started in 2018 is this Hasegawa D3A1 Val again for a campaign here. I decided to use a CMK resin interior and all went well until I got to the gunners position in the back and ran into some fit issues and some very fiddly parts which eventually wore me down and I decided to move. I'd really like to finish this one but the mojo is not up to it yet.
View attachment 123445

Lastly this 1/32 Hawker Typhoon. This is the old Revell kit festooned with rivets and raised detail and not much in the way of cockpit detail. I added an MDC resin pit and have a set of their rockets to use on it as well. I wanted to do a car door bird with invasion stripes but it seems most of the car door versions had either been converted to bubble tops or out of service by the time of the invasion. Fortunately I was able to find a photo of one that was used. I decided not to fool with removing the rivets as I thought it gave it that flying tank look. It got this far when I ran out of steam. That was back in 2012, still waiting for the steam to return.
View attachment 123446

I currently have four kits in various stages of completion, two of which also date back quite a ways and hope to have them ready to post in the next month or so.
As always, thanks for looking !
Gray,
I understand where you are coming from.
I always intend to finish my started models.
Sometimes, like you said, "kits are on hold".
As you now I have one that was started in 1980, when I thought I had the skills.
Holy cow was I WRONG!!!!!
You will complete these kits, it may take a little while, but you will get er done.
Frank
C-141-29.jpg

Time to pull out one that should have hit the #13 round file. I started this little beastie, and had it together and painted. Was not really liking how the paint looked. Color was off or the texture was bad. Something anyway. So at the time, all I knew to use for stripping paint was Easy-Off. (this was about 1983 or 84) Carefully applied the Easy-Off and as the paint was coming off, the model fell apart. The struts all let loose, the upper wing came off the horizontal tail feathers came off, and the floats. It was in pieces. I finished cleaning the paint off and put it in the box. I didn't do Shelf Queens then, but it had to be put away for a little bit.

About 2 years later I thought to look and see if it could be finished. I spent a lot of time cleaning up the rest of the mess it was and started redoing it. I also added a bunch more work. This time it came through like a dream and turned out better than I could have hoped. A few months later it won a First Place at an IPMS Regionals.

To this day, it is still one of my all time favorite builds. The Stretched sprue 4 point antenna popped may years ago but all it would take is a few minutes work to put it back. Other than that It is almost as good as the day I finished it.

He 51 float 1-72 20yr old.jpg

It is the Hasegawa 1/72 He51B floatplane. All the rigging is stretched sprue. So, take it from me, basket cases can rise from the dead and become favorite builds.

What usually delays me in finishing a model is coming to a point where I don't really know how to tackle a problem (don't have the skills, tools, etc). So far, I've always come back to a shelved kit at some point!

I certainly do start more than I finish though. Wish I was the type of person who could start 1 kit at a time and finish it before moving on.

Back