• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

8 Ton Halftrack and 88 mm gun

:blush: here is a link to another forum and i think you will find your answer here, a lot of reference pics and info.
http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=173283
Seems like in western eourope they used a asphalt on the roads even smaller ones.
//Mats

Mats we have no problem with links to other forums, again, sharing the hobby.

The first two pictures I see look like brick pavers, but it's interesting to see the build up of mud and dirt in the gutters... :hmmm

Thanks for the help Mats, now to find the time today to sit down and work this! :mpup

:popcorn
yes it seem to be like a "fishbone" pattern of bricks
Hope you manage to squese in some quality building time today (y)
//Mats

Not to sound like a total noob, but I have a problem with cobblestones and bricks shown in road bases in dios.
With all the different types of heavy tracked vehicles riding through these streets, some of them a century or more old, you don't see much cracking and separation of the stones. B/W pics don't do the damage justice- I just imagine the roads taking some damage from the vehicles themselves.

Nice little piece your building, talk about tedium sawing all of that! CR

Chip that's what I'm wanting to avoid again! I don't know dude, we have some brick paved roads down town that are over a century old, granted they haven't had tracked vehicles rolling over them but there has been heavy trucks, they seem to hold up well, some are even still road base for asphalt roads. You know they built them to last back then.

But metal tracks, yeah I can see that doing a great deal of damage if it's a huge column rolling over them.

Here we go, image dump

This is what happened when I applied Mr. Surfacer to the light blue foam. Maybe someone can ID this stuff and tell me why it reacted and not the more dense dark blue stuff for the side walks. I was able to salvage the sidewalks for the redux..
havegun59.jpg

Not a bad effect if I could control it better, washed out mortar anyone?

Thanks to my lovely Bride and assistant for her help with photography
havegun60.jpg

Mixed up some drywall patch stuff and slopped it over the blueboard base. Guess I could have put it directly on the wood but I din't.

havegun61.jpg

Used my hand to smooth out the drywall gunk as you can see in this action shot!

havegun62.jpg

I cut out the manhole cover from the Miniart street set I had and embedded in the drywalk gunk.

havegun63.jpg

Another action shot of placing the salvaged sidewalk and Well.

havegun64.jpg

More covering and smoothing keeping my hand moist. hindsight, I could have used a sponge to get some texture on there.

havegun65.jpg

used a scrap piece of laminate to flatten out the drywall gunk

havegun66.jpg

Thinking of how some of my own hometown mainstreet has some of the old pavers visible, I again cut from the Miniart base and embedded it in the drywall stuff.

havegun67.jpg

Trying to overlap the pavement and pavers.

havegun67a.jpg

A little sculpting in the gutters...

havegun68.jpg

A wet brush washes away the drywall junk from the manhole cover and pavers I want exposed. Keeping this stuff moist gives me time to keep working it, once it drys out it's done. After it dried some I took some low grit count sandpaper and tried to press it into the drywall stuff to give it texture, didn't work as well as I thought. I'll get the texture I want with Mr. Surfacer.

What I really needed was a 1:35 scale Paving Machine!
havegun69.jpg

And this is what I intend to do..again..
havegun70.jpg

Hopefully I'll be painting tomorrow.

That's it, I'm calling it done. No way I can get this base finished before the end of the month but the Halftrack and Gun are finished.

When I do get the base finished this will what the general setup will be.
havegun71.jpg

Granny here has gone to the well every day for the last 60 some odd years, why not today?

havegun72.jpg

havegun73.jpg

havegun74.jpg

havegun75.jpg

havegun76.jpg

havegun77.jpg

havegun78.jpg

I really enjoyed putting this together. Except the tracks...but the gun was way cool and I could see doing it again deployed.

And for the well, I had other plans for it but it didn't work out, here's what it would have looked like. Much the same except..

Well1.jpg

Well2.jpg

Back