• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

'69 Mercury Cougar

Sherman 18

Master at Arms
I've been thinking about building a weathered muscle car for a while. So I grabbed this out of my stash. Latest AMT version of their Cougar.

IMG_0037.JPG

IMG_0039.JPG

Ground out the backside of the body with a Dremel. Then bunched in the holes with a knife.
IMG_0040.JPG

IMG_0043.JPG

IMG_0044.JPG

Damaged the right rear quarter panel with a knife, file and Dremel.
IMG_0045~0.JPG

Removed the right rear marker light and emblem.
IMG_0046.JPG

Added styrene sheet to the back of the water pump.
IMG_0042.JPG

That's all for now

I'm not brave enough to have-at-it like that, Jeff... I have the same kit (earlier boxing) and make no excuses for 'playing it safe' with mine !!.

Looking forward to seeing this one develop.

Ian.

Thanks guys. I'm trying to push myself a little on this one. I always bog down on details and shapes on cars. I'm really going to try and not do that on this project. That is one of the reasons it's going to be weathered.

My cousin had a blue '67, always liked that car, because no one else had one. Best wishes! (y)

What a shame.

Dig the options, no AC which means you got hot air out of the floor or dash vents...AM radio but a massive power plant you have to use a can opener on to change the plugs. :rotf

Got a little more done the other night

Hacked off the front wheel wells as they were no where close to what a Cougar has.

IMG_0079.JPG

Cleaned up the firewall and drilled out the brake master cylinder mount point. The kit does not have a brake master cylinder.

IMG_0080.JPG

The Boss 302 engine is kinda cool as they tried to make the lifter valley and they did a neat job with the heads as they can be modeled with them off.

IMG_0081.JPG

Added some grandt line bolts to the intake manifold should look better than a blob that was molded

IMG_0082.JPG

IMG_0083.JPG

Transmission is ready for paint. I glued on a sprue to hold it for painting

IMG_0084.JPG

IMG_0085.JPG

Body

Ford/Mercury bodies had pot metal end caps. This was really kinda sloppy from the factory. A lot of them did not match the body lines. There should be a panel line between the quarter panels and the front fenders. This is missing on the kit. I used blue tape to mark where the lines should be. I used a scribe to make the new lines. On the left fender I just sawed off that part.

IMG_0070.JPG

IMG_0071.JPG

End result

IMG_0086.JPG

IMG_0087.JPG

IMG_0088.JPG

IMG_0089.JPG

Next time the fender and cowl area

IMG_0090.JPG

Check the title, if the first owner is a Trent, then that's my cousin's. :laugh:

He meant that Mercurys cost more, he was a dyed in the wool, full on Ford guy. He worked auto parts back in the days you have to know your stuff. It used to crack us up when we'd ask what the plug gap was on a flathead and he'd rattle off ".030 and that's the 216 Autolite or H10C Champion". :laugh: Miss you, Uncle George! Always had time for a game of catch. :drinks

I drove a 1970 Torino GT 429 back & forth to College, back in the day. Same Competition Orange the '69 Cougar Eliminator was. A muscular, sexy, car-model choice, Sir! :good:

Back