• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

SLA M3 Halftrack

Sherman 18

Master at Arms
Alright I teased about a top secret project.

I went and started with this DML M3A1 halftrack, well because it is cool. You guys should know by now that i can't just build something from the box. I was hoping this could/would kick start me out of my funk that I've been in. I think it has. The progress has been trouble free, I mean things are just clicking. So here it is as of Sunday night. Still lots and lots to do.

reference images

9803144_o.jpg

2_n~0.jpg

the kit

077_zpsyn0i69vb.jpg

I started with the rear compartment floor, a drill press, dremel, files and 120 and 320 sand paper were used to remove the seats

078_zpsytzjkdtk.jpg

079_zpsosfffli2.jpg

081_zpsfyrtduvj.jpg

082_zpssnifjgqo.jpg

I then added holes for the fuel gauge and fuel gauge plug in the fuel tanks. I also filled in the seat indentation on the right tank with styrene strip and some putty. I made the fuel gauge cover and plug from styrene tubing and strip

099_zpscousg7xp.jpg

100_zps4zo4n5d9.jpg

101_zpsfndc4yjf.jpg

102_zpsmkplqfkw.jpg

Added casting texture to rear suspension

103_zpsjofek8fk.jpg

I opened the battery box and started to scratch build the second battery box that Israel added to the halftracks

104_zpsixvrjptz.jpg

105_zpsnrfwgjdr.jpg

106_zps7u786av4.jpg

Since the battery box is open now I made a battery to stick in the box out of styrene strip

098_zps0jjn1qtc.jpg

Added a brake line to the rear differential

096_zpsgw5ccvtc.jpg

097_zpsqr6uf3lk.jpg

I removed the molded in gas can support on the right and left side of the cab. I then filled the hole with strip styrene. You can see where I opened up the lower part of the right side cab for the battery.

086_zpsbldsebi3.jpg

094_zps1sabtbjw.jpg

095_zpsuhrjvfj5.jpg

092_zps3zlufq16.jpg

093_zpsdea7hty0.jpg

Yes the M113 engine from an Academy kit does fit

085_zpsaydgxlpj.jpg

084_zpssmov3z6j.jpg

Just some minor adjustments. Notice the exhaust pipe comes out under the drivers door and not the right track?

Just some minor adjustments. Notice the exhaust pipe comes out under the drivers door and not the right track?

It has dual exhaust do to the two stroke diesel engine replacing the gas inline six :eek:hyeah

Those Israeli's seem to like to Hot Rod that old military equipment :D

A little more done, chassis is now complete

006_zps5kp6i4mc.jpg

007_zpsrbzafahz.jpg

008_zpswlkdgo2r.jpg

009_zpsycbscjfg.jpg

I added some On The Mark PE mesh to the floor, and used some scrap Edward PE in the other places

010_zpsfvfv7zud.jpg

I tried some Vallejo primer for the first time. Still need to hit some spots, but I like how it lays down.

011_zpsts2tsty3.jpg

012_zpselt9v267.jpg

That is all for now :salute

Thanks guys!

I did a first for me, making an instrument panel. I shaved the gauges off a couple Academy M113 kits
001_zpsexk3flv4.jpg

007_zpsek6krgea.jpg

Changed the seat cushions by filing them smooth. The IDF style are different than whats in the kit.
004_zpsngncpgol.jpg

Working on the radiator armor
005_zpsaqq96bj0.jpg

006_zps5p8fbasl.jpg

That's a freakin' close shave!

Funny how the radiator armor looks, the lens distorted it making the top look curved, which I'm sure it's straight. Can't always trust that picture can we?

:popcorn

Back