• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

2021 Plastic Surgeons Meeting posts

IMG_2741.jpegIMG_2743.jpegIMG_2744.jpegIMG_2745.jpegIMG_2757.jpegIMG_2746.jpegIMG_2756.jpeg
I believe these are the work of Mr. Don Barry. They display his customary German-ness and keen attention to detail. Tamiya's 8-Tonner has a tissue and white glue tarp installed. Model supplies are everywhere!!

Last edited:
IMG_2750.jpegIMG_2751.jpegIMG_2755.jpeg
Danny Trejo's '70 Mustang (sans tattoos) ?!? One can only guess about what HUGE-O powerplant will go in the Mustang! Francisco says this is Rodney's models, however, they show the jocularity and theme of what Ronnie Schultz usually puts together. Francisco's notes say this is a kit-bash of the AMT Mustang, resin skull and other Gasser stuff!
IMG_2752.jpegIMG_2753.jpegIMG_2754.jpeg
Satan's Crate, Frankenstien, and the Nosferatu. That's all for now!

Thanks for looking in!!

13 May 2021 Meeting post:
A lightly attended Club meeting with Teresa and I, Kurt Young (Young Mr. Young) Dave Bettis and oddly enough, Jeff Holle.
It was AWESOME to see Kurt again. Russian model enthusiast and just a really gentle good guy. Kurt's wife Tootie (Really!) has had some serious medical issues and is on the mend. The longer the Life, the slower the mend it seems. Kurt and I took some time to swap horrible old jokes and catch up. We have both been Plastic Surgeons for a very long time!

Dave Bettis arrived a bit tardy but he brought a model! The only one tonight! (We don't call roll or take attendance.) A Star Trek Klingon D-7 Cruiser, the armored version from the movie. Dave and I chatted about spray booth pros and cons and volatility of airbrush vapors since his bench is not far from his water heater. I advise caution. After raising his kids for 20 years, Dave is back to model making and joining in the fun of club meetings. I am glad to call him Friend. I did play with the Klingon Cruiser a little bit! Thanks Dave!

I was surprised when Ol' Jeff Holle shambled up outside the Ankeny Hobbytown. I imagined complications of his illnesses had ended his days long ago. US Army vet Jeff was wearing a cloth mask and a beard. :bm:
Given "General Jeff's" long service to our Nation, I refuse to treat him with any disrespect. Jeff never hesitates to disrespect or berate other club members. No one should be expected to tolerate his confrontational, Know-it-all attitude or blatant, angry outbursts during our meetings.

Model club meetings are about models and fun. If you can't be nice, Be elsewhere!! Save your inane political bitching for Facehole!

The meeting ended early with no chapter updates, (No pictures) no new or old business, and no input about a possible Club contest.

I suspect the rest of our Merry Band found out how many Tasty Tacos I had for dinner and elected to miss my Mark Flickenger impression. :stinker::lol:

The Surgeons have had a few of those types through the years, thankfully they tend to move on or drift away. Tasty Tacos...how I miss those!

20210513_182233.jpg

They were GOOD!! Not exactly like my Gramma Ellen Pearl used to make with her sisters, but as close as one can get since her passing. God rest Her.

22 May 2021 Field Trip!

WARNING! THIS REALLY ISN'T A MEETING POST!

An auspicious day, this 22nd of May! Ty Stevens, who not so very long ago was a budding Junior modeler and pretty good kid has made his next step toward grown-up-dom. He Graduated from High School in the sprawling metropolis of Dayton Iowa. Several members of our merry band of model miscreants choose the join the Stevens family for the dual Graduation celebration at the Stevens home. This was also a good time to deliver Don's Krupp Protze present from Gary McDonald and we left the other Krupp truck Teresa won for Dane to do a parallel 1/35 build with his Grampa.
Congratulations Ty &

Usually, a voyage to the North includes a stop at Taco Time and The Hobby Shop in Ames, Ia. My old home town.
20210522_124548.jpg
Sadly, the Ames Taco Time is closed. The iconic, giant cactus sign is gone. No longer can the glory of deep fried Crisp Meat Burritos and Mexi-Fries be savored in Story County.
20210522_125123.jpg
Teresa and I asked Dian (Mom) If Don could come out and play! She said he could if we behave (?!?) and didn't stay out too late. Clearly, Mom doesn't remember how easily I can get carried away.
20210522_125125 (2).jpg
"Shall we?!"
"Yes. Let's Shall!"
20210522_132312 (2).jpg
The Hobby Shop opened in Ames in 1947. Earl Noid was the owner at that time. Doug Sampson bought The Hobby Shop from Earl in 1979. I know I saw fellow waterline model enthusiast Mike Templeton at work in the store before he bought the business in 2016.
This LHS is thriving! There was plenty of traffic in the store and the shelves were filled with diecasts, model kits, supplies, and books of all genres! The UPRR runs right behind the store. There is lots of Railroad and slot car stuff there too!
Mike knows models! He buys collections of built and unbuilt kits. Priceless, well-built, Guillows balsa-wood model airplanes he bought adorn his ceiling. The wood floor still creaks and the bell by the door jingles cheerfully at your arrival! Treasures of all kinds await your perusal.

The only way this visit could have been any better is if I could have bought the same airplane model (Monogram's B-25 Mitchell "Sh-Boom") 50 years later, from Mike. If you wish for a dose of model nostalgia in the Ames area, drop in and see Mike.
20210522_133747.jpg
I found a vintage Skywave 1/700 baby flat-top, a present for Teresa's birthday and some Model Master enamel supplies I wished for.
Don may have found an outlet for his burgeoning collection of expertly completed 1/35 German Armor models. He needs to make room for newer projects.

Last edited:
Under a tenuous sky, we sallied forth to the Stevens residence in the wilds of Webster county. The festivities were well underway! 20210522_155908 (2).jpg20210522_160121 (2).jpg
Nate's tree house gave me some naughty ideas about my own pair of big trees at home. George made the trip! Jimmy and Aimee came, along with Don, Teresa and myself for the congratulations and fun!
20210522_150706.jpg20210522_162822.jpg20210522_174721.jpg20210522_174723.jpg20210522_174740.jpg
Given Ty's recent snow-bunny performance in Wyoming on a snowmobile, I thought the Bunny was a fitting gift. Teresa made him a grenade pen, we gave Ty some tanks and I spun off a disc of sea shanty's for our up-coming Great Submarine Sleep-over.
Then, without warning, a dinosaur fight broke out!! Ironically, the not-very-masculine looking Unicorn won the day.

We stopped at a new Mexican place in Grimes for supper. "Mom" called to find out if Don was OK and quipped he was only supposed to be gone for "a couple of hours". I apologized and reminded Dian how easily we get carried away on a car-ride. We deposited Don at his home just before dark.

Our congratulations to the Graduates of 2021!
Thanks for looking in!

It was a fine day out!

What a fantastic road trip! Wow, what fun!

I love the crazy signs on the Hobby Shop wall behind you and Mike, especially the one about "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of all who threaten it"!

What a blast!

We saw a truck and trailer in Boone that summed up my opinion on the current Resident. I felt it was inappropriate to post my picture of it here. This is about models, clubs and modelers. And Dinosaurs. And Unicorns. And presents!

Yeah, I'd second the emotion on the truck sign. Next time you're in Ames, ask about the history of the shop(s). Back in the mid 90's until after we moved down here, there were adjoining hobby shops, with a walkway between the stores. I always thought it was really different that two owners would be next door neighbors, running almost the same trade. When one owner was out, the other would wait on customers. That dynamic was very cool and I would like to know when it became one shop.
:hmm:

Yeah, I'd second the emotion on the truck sign. Next time you're in Ames, ask about the history of the shop(s). Back in the mid 90's until after we moved down here, there were adjoining hobby shops, with a walkway between the stores. I always thought it was really different that two owners would be next door neighbors, running almost the same trade. When one owner was out, the other would wait on customers. That dynamic was very cool and I would like to know when it became one shop.
:hmm:
It shall be as you say. I'll also post more pictures of the Hobby Shop itself. I do enjoy telling a story!

There was a Club meeting 27 May 2021. We didn't make it.
I saw my Doc about an injury from an auto collision. He gave me a prescription for a muscle relaxer. "These might make you a little drowsy." I took one little bitty pill and NOTHING hurt anymore! WOOO!
I was fast asleep before the meeting ever started. All that without one drop of rum, eh.

Without one drop of rum? Gee, kinda takes the fun out of things doesn't it? Oh well, at least there was no pain! We'll be watching for the next update. Meanwhile, I'll be praying for a swift and full recovery Chris. Hang in there!

I was in the hospital several years ago for something. The nurse came and and asked if I would like something for pain. Was actually doing OK, but went fine whatever. Was watching TV. She put something in the IV and about a minute later it was "OK, time to turn the TV off" Turned off the TV and lights and was OUT!

I was in the hospital several years ago for something. The nurse came and and asked if I would like something for pain. Was actually doing OK, but went fine whatever. Was watching TV. She put something in the IV and about a minute later it was "OK, time to turn the TV off" Turned off the TV and lights and was OUT!
Better living through pharmaceuticals! The "Wheels of Creativity" didn't even exist Thursday night.

Now, that being said, I do not wish to be "That Guy" that complains about ailments on the "Models, clubs and modelers. And Dinosaurs. And Unicorns. And presents" Thread or website. I did some model stuff, but the improvements to my dinky Masters are so slight, I hesitate to bore my model friends with them. :bash:
Keep Calm and Model ON!! :drunks: :drink:yipee::lol:

Back