• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1958 Edsel Gasser 10-14-18 Engine Details

1958 Edsel Gasser 9-29-18

I will be tickled to womp the batteries up for you!
I think the gasser Edsel should have at least a 427 SOHC motor for Military Rated Thrust!
Choose. But choose wisely!

Thank you, Bob, James, Jeff, Chris and Luiz! I appreciate you taking time to look and comment. No SOHC for this build, but there's one on tap for the next Ford build, I promise. Modeling time seems to be scarce of late, stay tuned for further developments. :mpup

Thanks for coming by!

:drinks

Back to the bench after a really long week! The weather has finally cooperated with a day in the mid 60's, so I was able to get to the paint bench. I managed to "misplace" the finned valve covers, so I used AK Interactive's Polished Aluminum Xtreme Metal to shine them up. Several other engine components were treated to various shades of Alclad and allowed to dry. Let's build us a Y block!

h904e71a.JPG

h26e7fce.JPG

Damned seam lines show up out of nowhere on the big monitor. :pinch: Gotta fix those.

Rhino made me some resin Holleys, I had them in the parts box and I reworked them to make some corrections, so we figgered Y not?

hc8601b7.JPG

hdda9407.JPG

I made most of the linkages and the return spring, the aluminum levers are Detail Master.

Say ahhhhhh,

h455f634.JPG

Aluminum velocity stacks by Detail Master

h44d0907.JPG

he938955.JPG

hb153ff5.JPG

hf2e4598.JPG

The Xtreme Metal sprays smooth and shiny, straight from the bottle with no nonsense about ultra shiny, finicky base coat. Beat part is, it doesn't rub off or discolor like those other guys. :ro:

Much more to come, thanks for coming by!

So you get to choose whatever displacement FE engine she is! It could still be a 427!
I am PROUD of you! The Holleys look great!

OK, guys, it looks like a little Ford history lesson is in order. The Y block replaced the flathead and ran through about 1964. The FE (Ford/Edsel) came about in 1964ish. There were several displacements 332 to 428 and yes, Ford made several versions of the 427, including the side oiler and the SOHC cammer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ford_engines

Is Ford Blue the correct color for my Y block? Nope, not at all, BUT, I wanted it to stand out in the paint scheme I have planned. This is the engine that powered the 1957 Thunderbird and is unique in that other mills generated more power, but why run with the crowd? :mpup If you aren't the lead dog, the view doesn't change.

It was a good weekend, Iowa, Iowa State and The Steelers won and there was bench time. :good:

Thanks for coming by!

Back