• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1958 Edsel Gasser 10-14-18 Engine Details

1958 Edsel Gasser!??

I used my old bottle of Ruby Fluid flux and some Radio Shack .015 rosin core solder. I plan to get some of the Solder It solder paste, but just haven't done so. In reading the reviews, it was pointed out there are lots of cheap knock offs of the Hakko being sold, so to be sure to buy from an authorized Hakko dealer. Got mine for less than $100 landed in the geographically oddity we call home.

Having fun now! :ro:

1958 Edsel Gasser!??

Here's a shot of the mock up, not going to work on the hood hinge until I get a little further along fitting the body, but you get the drift.

h6d2bb60.JPG

hd146522.JPG

hf3006e9.JPG

I'm leaning toward using the Y block from the '57 Ford kit, it's different and I have another project coming that will include a Cammer. :D :mpup

May have to go roust Goober for some help on thissun'. More to come!

:drinks

1958 Edsel Gasser!??

I would suggest not using that Solder It paste, not very clean stuff. There's a image somewhere on this website of me heating up both Solder It and some industrial paste and the difference is stunning.

1958 Edsel Gasser!??

Thought I sent you a link.

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/chip-quik-inc/SMDLTLFP/SMDLTLFP-ND/2682721

This would be good. Low temp, easy clean up, lead free. Old Dog or Saul might have an opinion.

1958 Edsel Gasser!??

I agree!

Going to look anything like this beast??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQtDrysMFm8

:popcorn

1958 Edsel Gasser!??

Well , I don't think it's in the gas class but :frantic I can't believe someone actually used an Edsel :coolio

How cool is that. Cheers, Christian B)

1958 Edsel Gasser!??

Many thanks, guys! Warren, that Edsel is uber cool, but mine won't be supercharged. Pup, did you notice that solder paste has a six month shelf life?? :idonno :eek:hmy:

Digging through my parts box, getting things together for next weekend's session. Stay tuned!

1958 Edsel Gasser!??

Amazing & very fun! Keep up the good work! You're doing a fine job!
:rotf :rotf :rotf :yipee :rotf :salute :eek:ldguy :pilot

1958 Edsel Gasser!??

Looking good Christian, .... I have that kit in my stash ... Your doing this one right .... :popcorn

1958 Edsel Gasser!??

Looking good Christian, .... I have that kit in my stash ... Your doing this one right .... :popcorn

Christian's not here, man. :mpup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtDAK7Umk7A

Rainy weekend, more to come.

1958 Edsel Gasser!??

Thanks guys, it's always a challenge to make all this stuff fit and look right when you're making it up as you go along. :rotf

So I was looking at some of the photos I took at the past gasser meets and found inspiration for the tilt front hinge. That cammer is whispering to me, must resist, must resist!

hc6cd60a.jpg

I taped the front end back in place, flipped the car over and did some serious measuring. I used a couple lengths of aluminum tube and some phosphor bronze wire to make the hinge.

hb1b924c.JPG

h333ffb3.JPG

h2125c02.JPG

It's just mocked up, nothing is glued up yet. More photos of what it should end up looking like.

h3366667.JPG

h8f5e129.JPG

I have been messing with some of the interior stuff as time allowed. Interior panels.

h8a20bf2.JPG

Stock dashboard, it's a race car, remember?

h1a13eb8.JPG

Radio delete, ala Dremel.

hcc2f4f7.JPG

Saving weight any way we can.

We need a fire suppression bottle, break out the scrap sprue and the DeWalt lathe.

h980cb27.JPG

h21f60ed.JPG

I'll add straps, actuator and a bracket to hold it down after paint.

Shifter boot in the raw.

h3459ed9.JPG

hefd0021.JPG

Got some cool PE Hurst shifters in the mail, gonna HAVE to use one!

Wow, I worked pretty hard on this stuff, but it sure doesn't look like I got much done. More to come, thanks for coming by!

Larry says hey!

h2f4829e.jpeg

Back