• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1914 Minerva

I have the Minerva up on it's wheels.
DSC_0006_12-01.jpeg
DSC_0008_10-01.jpeg
DSC_0007_7-01.jpeg
DSC_0005_20-01.jpeg

I googled the origin of the white wall tire. Turns out it wasn't for looks at all.
The natural off white rubber wore out quickly due to UV rays. Carbon, which turned the rubber black, was added to give the rubber strength but only to the tread portion to keep costs down...lol.
I never knew that!! "Look mom I learned something today!" :facepalm:

Moving on with this build I dove into my parts box and cobbled together a carbide generator box. They powered the big acetylene head lamp. The kit doesn't supply one but they are clearly seen mounted on the left stowage box in period photos. It appears there were a few different styles used.
DSC_0002_31-01.jpeg
Screenshot_20220612-181228.png

She's looking awesome. Very good catch on the generator. I'll have to remember when I start mine. :)
James
Thanks James. My building method may seem unorthodox. Just when it looks like I've finished up with paint and all I start adding more stuff...lol. I still have to make an instrument panel and some ammo boxes.

Thanks James. My building method may seem unorthodox. Just when it looks like I've finished up with paint and all I start adding more stuff...lol. I still have to make an instrument panel and some ammo boxes
Whatever works best for you is all that matters. What did you use for the Generator and do you have any dimensions?
James

Whatever works best for you is all that matters. What did you use for the Generator and do you have any dimensions?
James
I made mine from what looked like a radio transmitter from a tank model with bits of styrene and stretched sprue. I'm going to remove the wing nuts though. They're nice but to large. I didn't do a proper search to build a replica of one so mine is more of just a reasonable hint of a generator. It looks about the right size is as close to measuring as I went...lol

I made mine from what looked like a radio transmitter from a tank model with bits of styrene and stretched sprue. I'm going to remove the wing nuts though. They're nice but to large. I didn't do a proper search to build a replica of one so mine is more of just a reasonable hint of a generator. It looks about the right size is as close to measuring as I went...lol
Gotcha. Thanks. Still love the looks of it.
James

Back