• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

150-200 Empty Paper covers for 2cm ammunition

JSteinman

Master at Arms
Hi all. I have an interesting problem. I need to fabricate 150-200 empty paper rolls for 2cm ammo. Think about a toilet paper roll that was closed on one end. Each 2cm round came packed in one of these, and I need to make a whole bunch of em discarded in a pile. Diameter is about .9mm. Full ones are easy, just styrene rod with the end painted brass, but I really don't want to drill the ends out of 200 small pieces of styrene! Any ideas?

In wiring up my engines on my Lanc, I had to take the black rubber tubing in the kit and cut them into 7 mm sections to use to secure the connections. What about something like that or even those coffee stirrer straws?

What diameter will the beasties be? Find or make a straw of that, and turn a corresponding dowel to fit. Sort slices would fit in to make the ends.

I also would go with wire and strip the outer sheathing off for the tubes. If you go for fine tubing like Bob says just slide a metal rod in first and cut with a knife so the edges arent ragged or crimped. No matter what it sounds like a ton of work.
James

Id love to know the answer to this one too

Has anyone got any reference pics of either full or empty covers ?

JOHN,

.9mm ... what would the inside diameter be, .8mm - ? I know Griffon & Lion Roar make Brass tubing .

- http://www.griffonmodel.com/product_view.asp?id=53&classid=71 - it's 1.0mm x .72mm ( inside diameter)

How's this any help , ........... the first pic you can see the ammo in the tray , the second pic. is better though .
I'll get a shovel and forage through my other stuff and see if I can come up with some more .

396px-Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-403-0308-13A2C_Frankreich2C_BefC3BCllen_von_2cm-Trommeln.jpg

399px-Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-403-0308-23A2C_Frankreich2C_BefC3BCllen_von_2cm-Trommeln.jpg

JOHN,

.9mm ... what would the inside diameter be, .8mm - ? I know Griffon & Lion Roar make Brass tubing .

- http://www.griffonmodel.com/product_view.asp?id=53&classid=71 - it's 1.0mm x .72mm ( inside diameter)

Griffon would be the better brand because their walls are thinner. Problem is getting that stuff lately. SprueBros had it and I wiped out their stock. They haven't restocked.

Did you notice the early pattern jerry can and the boxing gloves?

john, I noticed the early pattern fuel can but thought the 'boxing gloves' were spent shell catchers as used under the MG-15s...

DOH! :gogo

Gloves they are! There must be some Max Schmeling fans there.

Regards,

Those pics. are early war [ 1940 ] pics. ......... in the other pic. there are three covers shown , so unless Max had three arms .........

You also have to remember 1940 was part of the " good times " , rolling across all opposition etc. when the German army was still highly organized and followed all doctrines , ..... covers on all breeches , gun tubes etc.

According to the Bundesarchiv in Berlin the original title for this series of photographs reads:-

"Frankreich.- Mechaniker / Waffenwarte beim Befüllen von Trommeln für Bordkanonen mit 2cm Patronen; PK KBK Lw 5"

As for the "gloves" they are the wrong shape and construction for the 2cm Flak to be muzzle covers.

Back