• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/72 CF-188 Hornet - Operation Friction 1990-1991

Flyingbabydoc

Hello friends,

Time to work on another badge. I jsut read an interesting article on Flug Revue about the Canadian Air Force and decided it was time to build something on that area. A bit of a break from WWII themes will do me good (still very frustrated with the PE-2 and the Sturmovik).

So this is the McDonnell-Douglas CF-188 Hornet used in the Arabian Gulf in 1990-1991 during Operation Friction. This aircraft (776, Wk.Nr. 188776) still had the old styiling marks of the RCAF so it should be interesting.

The Model is a Revell 1/72 Hornet OOB with decals from Leading Edge.

I hope you enjoy. Comments and suggestions always appreciated.

Cheers

Alex

h94d925b.JPG

h78d02fd.JPG

h6de3326.JPG

I will try not to disappoint you Dave!

I have always loved Canada. Lived there during medical School in 1993, I was an intern at the Hopital St. Justine in Montreal (the children's Hospital of the University of Montreal). Ever since have always been a fan and travelled there whenever possible.

Cheers

Alex

Awesome stuff Alex. If you need any info just shout out. 2 things off the bat though. The olios on our birds are different than other F-18s. Ours are inverted.

F-18

f-18_gear_bend.jpg

CF-188

CF-18%20Cold%20Lake%20021.JPG

More pics here http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/luc_colin2/cf-18_walk_1.htm

Also we have A / Bs for the period you are doing so there are some differences between them and the C kit you have, although most are not noticeable. Let me check, if memory serves there is one less antenna bulge on one of the vertical stabs. It has been a few years. And if you look at pictures on line and see the bird slicers, we didn't have those back then so don't add.

James

Ahhh, now that looks like pictures of real airplanes (y) (y) (y)

Hope I don't have to be Canadian to enjoy this :side:

Don't the C's have the much larger intakes James ?

Cheers, Christian B)

Intakes stayed the same until the super hornet. One other thing although at 1/72 it probably doesn't matter, we had different seats. We used to strap on the seat, now like the US we strap in.
This article may help some and you can see which bump to remove on the stab.
http://www.arcair.com/tnt1/001-100/TNT100-CF-188-Bamford/00.shtm
We also have a search kite on the left side of the nose, but for a while it was removed and a protective cover was installed. Now adays it depends on the bird if there is one or not.

James

Intakes stayed the same until the super hornet. One other thing although at 1/72 it probably doesn't matter, we had different seats. We used to strap on the seat, now like the US we strap in.
This article may help some and you can see which bump to remove on the stab.
http://www.arcair.com/tnt1/001-100/TNT100-CF-188-Bamford/00.shtm
We also have a search kite on the left side of the nose, but for a while it was removed and a protective cover was installed. Now adays it depends on the bird if there is one or not.

James

So, where in the alphabet does the larger intake fall in ?

Cheers

Dear friends,

I am very happy that this Topic seems to have generated interest. I appreciate that! I just hope not to disappoint you.

Unfortunately there will be no Progress in the next 2 weeks since I am sick as a dog (the whole Family is) :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

...and next week I will be the whole time in Stuttgart in a congress. So stay tuned after 11/28 I will be back in the game.

Many thanks to all the Canadian friends for the invaluable Info! As far as I could gather, the plane in question was an "A" Version so I will be cutting away some parts of the "C" model.

Cheers

Alex

Yes Alex, all of ours are A/B models. Hope you and the family get to feeling better soon.
James

Thanks for the good wishes everyone. We are getting better, most importantly my son - there was a nasty epidemics of Norovirus in southwest Germany this last week and we got hit badly.
In the meantime, whilst convalescing, I got some
PE from Eduard for the CF-188. It is not much but will add a bit to the model. Also got some "remove before flight" tags now I just need to find pictures or diagrams of where these go in the CF-188.
Can't wait to be back on the bench.
For now cheers everyone!
Alex

The walk-around photos James' linked to Prime Portal show the RBF flags on the Main and Nose gear and arrestor hook.

The pitot probe and sensor above it can have protective covers with RBF flags,
CF-18%20Cold%20Lake%20011.JPG

There are flags on the canopy jettison handles in the cockpit and ejection handles on the seat.

Depending upon weapons load there can be RBF flags on the pylons and weapons.

The deployed IFR probe could have a RBF flag as well.

Covers are placed on the seeker heads of the AIM-9's.

There is a safety pin that goes in by the wing fold hinge on the underside of the wing, locks on the flaps and stabilators.

cf-118_hornet_005_of_149.jpg

Depending how nuts you want to go, there are FOD covers that go in the intakes and over the exhaust, various inlets and vents on the upper surface that can have covers or plugs installed, the HUD has a protective cover and the seat has a full cover as well.

There is the "Coke can" (Guan Safety Switch) just aft of the ident light/gun loading door.

CF-18%20Cold%20Lake%20031.JPG

A "Loaded" flag is often seen under the nose, just aft of the radome, when the aircraft is armed.

This walk around shows a few more details, it is mislabeled as CF-118 Hornet

Cheers,
Rich

Thanks all for the well-wishes. The family is on the mend and all eating again, specially my son (you could feed a zoo with the amount he eats daily)...

No glueing anything I am attending a mandatory "chairman-prep" course in Stuttgart. Also I have 18 graduate students that need my attention either in my lab (6) or in clinics (12). I hope I'll get on the bench again next week!

Cheers

Alex

Well, good luck with all the busy stuff Alex :good: Hope everything is back to normal by Christmas .

Whatever normal means to you family . :)

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks all for the well-wishes. The family is on the mend and all eating again, specially my son (you could feed a zoo with the amount he eats daily)...

No glueing anything I am attending a mandatory "chairman-prep" course in Stuttgart. Also I have 18 graduate students that need my attention either in my lab (6) or in clinics (12). I hope I'll get on the bench again next week!

Cheers

Alex

Teach'em Well Doc! :drinks

Hi everyone

I am back. I was able to find a lot of goodies for the CF-188 including some resin bombs, PE from Eduard and a few other neat things. Also I just received the AKAN Acrylics for the painting. I should start again tonight or tomorrow, and I am looking Forward to posting a few pics here.

Cheers,

Alex (your negative control... he.he.he)

Back