• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/700 USCG Point Class Patrol Boat model kit

DECALING!! My favorite part!!
IMG_5966.JPG

When you decal in 1/700 scale, it is easier to cut out the decals you need, and put them in a drop of water, one at a time, on the model, then slide the decal into place and pick up the extra water with a fresh Q-Tip. I used a small brush to put on a smidge of solvaset, then LEAVE THE MODEL ALONE! Brushing on future, with a bitty brush seals the individual decals on the Ship. The 1/700 Coast Guard decal sheet came from Battle Fleet Models. They are in fine register, and printed without any extra carrier film. WPB82354 Point Evans, and......................
IMG_5967.JPG

Are being decaled here! :zen :yipee

IMG_5969.JPG

The harsh eye of the Camera reveals my less-than-perfect teensie-weensie decal job. The need to touch up paint add a flag, and final flat coat before Point Evans makes a voyage to an IPMS show is apparent. :bang head Flyhawk Lifeboat racks/canisters in place, and equipment boxes on the after deck. This is as much building as I'm planning to do.
The ONLY finished 1/700 Point Class Cutter in the whole World!! :yipee

IMG_6629.JPG

IMG_6630.JPG

It's not easy to take a good pict' of this little decal set. I fault my cheepo camera! :bang head

TLAR Models is proud to present our first Decal sheet, to compliment Kit number 616, 1/700 USCG Point Class Cutter set.

Decals are scaled to the actual model with the appropriate 9 inch lettering & numerals for accurate USCG Vessels under 100 feet in length. You are going to want your magnifier goggles for these!

I'm a Modeler too, so redundancies were printed in case you sneeze, fart, drop, or lose track of the decal on the Model. I don't do "Tough Sh t, buy another one." at TLAR. You get at least 2 chances! I would want that. Why wouldn't you?
I do have a plenty of these, if you want to buy more than one.

I am proud to offer this dinky US Coast Guard decal sheet. I am absolutely delighted with the US vendor's meticulous efforts. I did NOT make them myself!

Here is what is included in this set.

In white 9-inch letters, for green camouflage-painted Vietnam War Cutters;
10 each, "U S COAST GUARD" decals, for both sides of the hull, or superstructure.
8 each, "POINT" decals for the first half of the Vessel's Name on Her stern.
2 each, WELCOME, GRACE, MARONE, HUDSON, GARNET, LEAGUE, ORIENT, SLOCUM, GREY, CYPRESS, ELLIS, and CAUTION for the other half of the Vessel's name! See?!?
10 each, "CG 823" Bow number decals
4 each 24 29 31 22 10 04 19 30 23 26 01 13 (to complete the bow numbers, see?!) Doubled, to give you more than one chance to apply the scale correct decals. The white decals ARE not easy to see on the sky blue backing paper. Mark says they're on there, and I trust him Implicitly!

In black 9-inch letters for post war USCG Point Class Cutters;

10 each, Coast Guard hull "racing stripes' with USCG crest. 5 Port side, 5 Starboard side.
12 each, "U S COAST GUARD" Useful on other 1/700 USCG aircraft and vessels under 100 ft. long as well!!)
6 each, "POINT" decals
2 each, BARNES, BROWER, CAMDEN, CARREW, CHICO, DIVIDE, DORAN, ELLIS, EVANS, HARRIS, HOBART, LOBOS, MARTIN, STEELE, STUART, and SWIFT (Gives a guy a second chance with a teeny decal!)
Then,
12 each, "CG 823" (Chop off the CG for domestic later service vessels)
4 each; 71 72 73 74 75 39 37 30 54 76 77 58 66 79 59 12, for completing the bow number. Much easier that trying to put 5 1/700 scale numerals on straight!

8 each 1/700 3X5' United States Flag as well.

The decals are printed under a continuous film, so take care in cutting out the ones you plan to use. Don't drop the whole thing in the water at the once! Silly!!

For my treasured TLAR Models USCG Point Class Cutter set customers, (You know who you are!) Our Archivist (ME!) is searching through our records, so as to mail you your very own Point Class decal sheet, at no charge, sealed in my favored zip-baggie, via stamped USPS regular Mail. A truly dinky Christmas present, with my gratitude! :notworthy

Merry Christmas to ALL my Ship Model Brethren!!!

Since I've gained some experience and learned the proper techniques, my conscience got to bothering me about the 1/700 USCG Point Class boat set. I'm adding detail to the Masters. Gun platforms and additional deck details on the WPB's.
hbd6eada.JPG

EVERY YR barge will have an ice making machine, hatches, portholes and eaves. Getting them ready to re-mold and make much better quality pressure castings, with more details added, and less fuss to play with as well.
All in a more compact Pressure-Tank friendly mold!
:yipee

And the fleet grows more significant :popcorn

Conscience : a difficult to live with roommate ... :rotf

Cheers, Christian B)

h0d2d191.JPG

h0057f4c.JPG

h6b5e404.JPG

Everybody gets bollards, hatches, Ice machine, and sliding doors! You still have to come up with your own vegetable planter!
The 2.0 version 82-Foot Cutters will have upgraded detail, and fewer fiddly parts to add. That's what I would want.
Why wouldn't you? :idonno

h34a1918.JPG

Major Masters for the 2.0 of my USCG Point class kit. Since I know the Smooth-on RTV molds pick-up even the minutest of detail, I know I can make a better Master to supply a better quality dinky model!

hf2fa377.JPG

h3e5acd9.JPG

At work on the afterdeck details. Induction trunking for the Cummins engines. I made one from brass wire, and one from plastic sprue. I like the plastic one best. They aren't quite square enough. I think they're a big improvement over nothing! Equipment boxes on the stern appear in almost every reference I can find for Point Class Cutters as well. Point Welcome is building in the background, so She gets Her mod's as I dream them up!

Back