• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/48 Hurricane MK II?

Well, I'm afraid this is going to be another boring update ! :unsure:

If King Midas turned everything to gold just by touching it , I seem to be having the opposite affect as of late . :pinch:

001a.jpg

My long awaited set of resin flight controls have arrived but after cutting and sanding, I realized that they were too narrow in chord as well as too short. Apparently shrinkage is not unheard of.

Aires, tells me that they are shipping replacement parts ( another delay ! )

Having said that I turned my attention to some bits and pieces , one of which is this beautiful vac canopy from Rob-Taurus.
It is so clear and the details so fine I'm not able to make the mask for it. Hope the Hasegawa mask is compatible . It's on the way too . . .

Finally, started assembly of the wings. and upon gluing I discovered that these inserts are too small.
and left me with these lovely recessed areas all around.

002a.jpg

Soooo, being somewhat without a brilliant idea, I glue a .005 sheet of styrene on top and sanded it down.

003a.jpg

Needs scribing now. Just remember, this is fun , this is fun, this is fun !
Think I'll watch you guys have some fun for a few minutes (y)

Cheers, Christian B)

Well guys, have no fear. We'll get there . I'm just getting some Err .. opportunities that I have not had before. Maybe it's just because I'm out of scale.

Overall , this is a much nicer kit than what I'm use to. Actually easier to build, all opportunities aside .

Cheers, Christian B)

It will be interesting to see what the replacement bits are like chris, i'm not always convinced that after market is necessarily better that whats in the box. Especially with white metal and ejector seats. The PE i am using on my Kittyhawk is a good example with a flat throttle quadrant, flat control rods and flat ball knobs on the end ? in 1/32 thats really not acceptable !! off topic a bit so good luck and keep at it, its a good WIP :)

I agree completely Patty. Flat pe knobs in aircraft are uselrss. Not so bad in 1/72 though.

009.JPG

But who said they have to br flat. It's only a good place to start from. :drinks

Cheers, Christian B)

Very true , i just cheated on my Kittyhawk and put cylindrical knobs on the throttles as i couldn't think what top use for ball knobs that small ?..........dont tell anyone :)

Sounds good to me. Also these might help https://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/sprue-u-tips-and-techniques/60226-gear-selector-knobs
James

I agree completely Patty. Flat pe knobs in aircraft are uselrss. Not so bad in 1/72 though.

009.JPG

But who said they have to br flat. It's only a good place to start from. :drinks

Cheers, Christian B)

Not sure how I missed this Chris, looks great so far.

Hey guys, I'm finally back at the bench. All this other stuff is fine but there's no replacement for the bench :yipee

Thanks for looking in on me ! :) I finally decided to replace the PE door since it gave me problems in handling the parts. Hopefully this one will be more flexible and I can get this thing together shortly ( whatever that means ).

radiator_door_001a.jpg

Some trimming and paint and this one will be good to go.

Landing lights are next.

Cheers, Christian B)

Nice Chris. I'm really thinking that if I use Eduard again I might just use it as a guide and cut the parts from card stock. What are you going to do special with the landing light?
James

The wing back side has been ground out and some make believe framework installed.
I'm going to install the reflectors and use epoxy for the glass . Outer lenses are kit stock.

Cheers, Christian B)

Hey Chris! It's good to see you back at the bench and feeling it again! :drinks

Good to be back here. Right now I need to work my way back down to my bench :fencing but that's one piece out of the way !
Now if this epoxy would just harden. It's been five minutes somewhere. Just not here :hmmm Maybe even fifteen . . .

Cheers, Mike ! B)

Back