• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/48 Hurricane MK II?

phantom II

Master at Arms
Hello everyone ! As I was waiting for the paint to dry on the RE 2005 I took a closer look at this kit that was kindly given to me by a very gracious friend .

Hurricane_Mk_II_006a.jpg

:unsure: Hate to say but 1/48 is not my scale of choice but after scrutinizing the pieces :woohoo:
I decided I had to build it :drinks So, here we go.

This will be a MK II something, because I don't know yet what I will be able to round up to give it it's final personality.

Some kit parts had already been painted but I had to make some modifications to allow for the Eduard kit and to remove some mold marks.

Hurricane_Mk_II_005.JPG

So here we go. Scratched up the paint.

Hurricane_Mk_II_003.JPG

Bent and soldered the Eduards seat.

Hurricane_Mk_II_004.JPG

I modified the control column and wound up having to build a new hanger for the rudder pedals. The kit parts desintegrating when I tried to remove them from the tree.

Hurricane_Mk_II_001.JPG

I made a few parts for the interior, such as the cables for the control, a map light : stuffed a few papers in the box on the opposite side.

Hurricane_Mk_II_012a.jpg

Off course by now you'll realize I shot some new shades of green.

And in a moment of insanity I decided to put in the escape door mechanism that will probably never be seen again :sick:

Hurricane_Mk_II_005c.jpg

All the bits and pieces really needed to be assembled and trial fitted inside the fuselage. A difficult task resembling making a box out of cooked spaghetti.

Hurricane_Mk_II_014a.jpg

Hurricane_Mk_II_015a.jpg

Hurricane_Mk_II_016a.jpg

:) Eventually I succeeded. Still needs a few handles. This is the last trial run.

Hurricane_Mk_II_007a.jpg

Hurricane_Mk_II_008a.jpg

Hurricane_Mk_II_009a.jpg

Hurricane_Mk_II_011a.jpg

Hurricane_Mk_II_010a.jpg

At this point, I need some opinions. I am thinking of cutting out the emergency panel and laying it on the wing so the interior can be more easily seen. Quite a bit of it is obscured with the fuselage closed up.

Comments/opinions are welcomed .

Cheers, Christian

What do you mean it's never going to be seen again, it'll be seen everytime someone checks out this thread! (y)

Too dark inside Bob. By the time the windscreen is installed you'll need a flashlight and the mechanism is under an overhang :(

Those that see it will have to be on here...Looking at pictures.

Looking cool Chris. I see what you mean. It would be a royal pain cutting it out, but you know it would look really cool. And all the work would be there for everyone to see.

Now that I have muddied the waters its time to sit back and :popcorn

James

I hear you . But I have no fear of the mud.

Don't think it would be so bad James. It's made to be cut out. Besides, I do so much small stuff ... ( famous last words ) this should not be too hard.

Wish I had taken a picture of the instrument panel while it was separate. It really is very nice.

Cheer, Christian. B)

Well, small update. I'm getting to be as slow as mud though... :soldier

Hurricane_II_002a.jpg

Hurricane_II_003a.jpg

Finally installed the last of the home made knobs and Eduard pieces. Good kit even though it's the usual vagueness of instructions.

Hurricane_II_001a.jpg

There you have it, the emergency door has been removed and the pins have been installed.

I just realized that this canopy will not work in the open position, so I'm back to looking for parts.

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks James and Mike .

I think this is going to be a pretty cool build in due time :fencing

Cheers, Christian B)

I was just going to say cut the panel out and then i see you did . Well worth it as there is loads of detail in this kit especially as you have the eduard bits as well...I went a bit further with an old Aires spitfire engine as well and removed the panel below the emergency door so you could see the seat as well :) you are right about the canopy though

Hi Joey and thanks for the cuddos . It only looks easy because I have the sound turned off :blush: . There were probably some things said that were not publishable.

It was a bit tricky to get all the plastic and PE parts to cooperate long enough to see what needs to be modified since they don't quite fit . None of them could be temporarily secured to see what was needed.

To be perfectly honest though this was a breeze compared to the usual 1/72 stuff I work with. :blink

Cheers, Christian B)

Hi Christian,
very cool work there, I just love the cannon version of the Hurricane.

Is this a Hasegawa kit?

I built a Mk 1 quite a while back and had the same closed canopy, couldn't source a replacement so decided to open it, I used twist drills, 0.5 or 0.6 size tip, there is a nice little gap between the front section and the ''sliding'' part of the canopy - I drilled across this as it is a good guide, then gently used a new blade to snip the remaining plastic between each hole.

result,
DSC_0333x1.jpg

DSC_0354x1b.jpg

I never got around to dunking the rear part into hot water to open it slightly so it fits in the slide better.

Hi Phil. Yes it is a Hasegawa kit . The canopy has a pretty good fit as long as it remains closed. My issue is that I want to slide it back which is a bit of an issue due to thickness of the plastic.
Maybe I will try heat to see if it's sufficient but I'm leaning more to vacu-forming one.

Squadron shop offers one for $ 8 while Pavla offers theirs for $ 2.5 . I think the folks at SS. have lost their minds. Their prices use to be reasonable :sick:

Anyhow, I have parts coming from various directions. It's going to sit for a while.

Nice looking Hurricane by the way .

Cheers, Christian B)

I can get another :snoopy , but I'm seriously thinking of making my own. I make them quite often in 1/72 scale.

Cheers, Christian B)

sheesh that cockpit seat looks uncomfortable!

great work on the cockpit and i'm pretty sure you'll sort out the canopy issues!

Back