• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/48 Bf-109Z (Planet Models)

It seems to share some similarities with the Hasegawa kit...
Some? I recognized many of the parts immediately as sourced from the Hasegawa kits. Not a complaint as you found out with the canopy. Also, it's good to know that any aftermarket you bought for the Hasegawa kits in your stash means leftover plastic (safer to work with than resin) will be a drop fit (unless some shrinkage occurred). Alternatively, you can add all the aftermarket details designed for the Hasegawa kit and they should fit (Aires always causing trouble though).

Regards,

Yeah I agree Saul, I really think the folks at Planet used the Hasegawa kit as a base to build this one. Might be worth looking at some metal gear with the weight of it too (although, there are 4 wheels on this baby).

:good:

Might be worth looking at some metal gear with the weight of it too (although, there are 4 wheels on this baby).
My subtle hint worked but the only worthwhile metal legs are from Eduard for their kits:

Click photo for PDF instructions.
Comes with the fairings too. After the price of the kit, I guess the high expense of the two sets needed is worth the peace of mind. Just stay away from the SAC (Scale Aircraft Crap) 48339, also for the Eduard kits, which is made of a malleable alloy that easily bends:

Click the photo where this malleability is spun as a benefit. Yes, it 'seems' to be a better value with three types of tailwheel yokes and wheels included but... does the detail look better?

Regards,

I have found that the bronze Eduard landing gear are lost wax castings done at a local jewelry manufacturer in the Czech Republic. This usually means a bit better quality though cost can be a bit more.

Just had a look at those gear. 2 sets at that price plus shipping would be as much as I paid for the kit (In Canadian $$).

Will have to think about this..... :wow:

Maybe just one set and put them on the outboard sides with the plastic or resin on the inboard. That way the bronze would support the weight and the plastic would be there for looks on the two inner gear.

Maybe just one set and put them on the outboard sides with the plastic or resin on the inboard.
I would reverse that order to ensure the outer wings are not supporting the entire weight. If added to the inner pair, under the heavy central casting, most of the weight is supported. The outer wings then only have to deal with their own weight after some support from the outer legs.

Regards,

So, I've been trying to work on this a bit, the resin is very fragile, breaks very easily.

Got a coat of grey down on the pit parts but I might have to wash them better. The CA glue had a hell of a time setting up!

4.jpg

Thanks Chris, they are nice. I've always used Bob Smith gap filling super glue and never had an issue until this kit. It just doesn't seem to want to hold, and I even bought a new bottle recently.

I had that issue when I built the Planet Ju-388, Warren. I think I used epoxy where the CA was having issues, but it's been a long time.

Back