• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/32 HKM Gloster Meteor F.4

Paulw

I thought I would do a ersatz build report on this kit just because nobody else has gotten there before me. I won't be bringing any history of this plane but you can research it yourself.

I got this from a real good friend and since he was kind enough to had it to me I figured I would do rhe best that I can on this and sort of give you a heads up.

The instructions are simple drawings and are clear and easy to understand so as always I began with the pit. It is 8 parts and the fit is real good. The detail is pretty plain,I would suggest the Eduard interior set if that's your thing but since this is OOB and payday is next month I just couldn't wait.

h1f77c72.JPG

The plastic is fairly thick and not to hard or soft but good enough to do some carving if that is warranted, like these antenna locations.

h27ccd24.JPG

The external detail is very nice and subtle so take care if you have to do any sanding on the kit or else you may have a herd of corgis on your tail.
hc0971c3.JPG

A nose weight is provided and it is a good sized chunk of white metal.
h617e4d8.JPG

How ever be sure to make adjustments to the way it locks in to the nose or you will have a fit problem. The two tabs here
h0ff9ecf.JPG

fit into the holes here
he3cefb4.JPG

so its your choice to either drill the holes a bit deeper or just take the easy way out and snip down the tabs.

I got it sewn up and found that there are some small gaps in the fuse but I think that is from sanding off the little nubs from the sprue so again dry fit it well and mark the areas where the issues are.

ha56054e.JPG

h87d6854.JPG

hf590b6e.JPG

Well maybe I can get this done in the next two weeks or so. I hope I have provided some good info for a start and Ill be posting more as soon as I can.

A bird of my childhood , although Google would only pull up ship references for the ersatz reference .

Should be interesting . :popcorn

Cheers, Christian B)

I'm itching to build mine. This might be the push I need. Watching with interest Paul.
James

Good on ya' Paul. Watching closely aswell. Would be very interested in an F.8 or FR.10 if they ever come-out. Some of the last Meetboxes used by the RAF in the very early 1970's were based at RAF Woodvale, just across the fields from where I used to live in the UK (coincidentally RAF Woodvale was the last base that operational Spitfires flew from aswell).

Ian

Good start Paul, glad to see it's going together well. Ian, if you have deep pockets and don't mind chopping up a kit, Fisher Models has an F.8 conversion available F.8 conversion

There were some small gaps and a couple of steps that had to be taken care of so I put in some Tamiya putty and let it cure over night.

h1902251.JPG

While that was setting up I took the time to assemble part of the wing. There are very few parts to this wing and there is even a removable hatch for an aftermarket engine.

hbd359dd.JPG

I have seen one on the web some where as I have said before but I can't remember where. I am pretty sure that there will be more stuff coming out for it soon.

the wing and control surfaces age fairly gappy along the edges so you may want to add a little glue there as filler. I tried sanding down the insi9de of the halves to get them to fit better but all that did was to make for some frustration.
With the upper and lower wing panels glued together the nacelles look to be uniform on the inside but there is a large seam on the outside that will need to be sanded and filled and polished out.

h90cb54a.JPG

hcf40071.JPG

I think that this kit is more like a Revell/Monogram kit in terms of simplicity because I see no place where the assembly is difficult. Accuracy is another thing all together because I have no idea about this plane. Surface detail is pretty nice and the parts like the undercarriage are detailed enough for me.

Dear Paul...see this link :

http://www.themodellingnews.com/2014/07/when-harry-met-meteor-hk-models-meteor.html#more

Best!

Luiz.

I have seen one on the web some where as I have said before but I can't remember where.

Profimodeller will have the engine soon (if not already out):

Click photo for news link.

Fisher Models offers the narrow engine nacelles:

$25USD. Click photo to go to ordering page.

Regards,

The wings and tail planes are on and the intakes are done canopy dry fitted. This is hopefully going to be an acceptable build. There is an issue with the wing to fuse join with an appreciable gap on both sides which I thought I had conquered but after I laid it down and walked away for it to cure it left me with a step and a gap on the left side, its going to require some thinking to figure out how to repair that.

The Horizontal stabs will need some extra support to hold them into the fuse because the locating tab is real short. I trimmed down some flash on the rudder only to find out later it wasn't flash.

Sitting on her legs, which is always a good thing. I also shot the first coat of Vallejo chrome and found some flaws that need attention which I'll get to in the morning then do decals tomorrow afternoon.

h5b7bc5e.JPG

h1f932b2.JPG

he04132b.JPG

Looks good Paul, how you like that Vallejo Chrome? I didn't see much chrome effect when I messed with it.

Finish is looking fine! :popcorn

Back