• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/100 MI-24 Hind FINISHED!!!!

iambrb

Ok here is my contrib! back when there was a company called Great Models, they had a half off sale, and I bought this for $1!!! It is from that top-notch company, KANG-AM. I thought I got a pic of the few trees/parts, but nope (save that thrid pic bee-low). When I start this on Saturday I will show it then, but this is my 'Proof of Life" on this

Note that this is such high-quality, the instructions are printed on the inside of the box! Note also the fusegae half in there that shows it has not been started

1/100 MI-24 Hind

I was thinking about going with the camo in the box art and shown here

but I have to admit that the desert type camo looks good too

Either way, I bet I spend more time cleaning the airbrush than painting the model!

1/100 MI-24 Hind

Ok so here is about 3 hours in. I am building OOB, mostly because it is not like there are alot of resin upgrades for Kang-Am in 1/144 scale.....as you can see, the interior is spartan to say the least

Also, the two exhaust cones were flat not in the kit! I mean I looked every part over twice! As you can see in the box top instructions, it never actually shows them! thankfully, as you can see in the pic there are the little round covers, so I used a bit of styrene to block off the hole and installed them. Not perfect, but usable as it came out

Lastly, despite these odd quirks, the fuselage and stubby wings went together suprisingly well! There was actually very little in the way of gaps in the fuselage, except for the nose and the air intakes. Those areas did not fit too well, but not too bad either and really just a small amount of sanding was all that was required.

Have to say, I am enjoying it so far! Have plans for some of Sat & sun, but also hope to have it ready to paint byt then. Heck, maybe even actuallys get some paint on it!

1/100 MI-24 Hind

OK so the first part of the day was spent doing church-stuff, but the 2nd involved some model time! So I got alot of things I am not even picturing here complete, but I decided to try and hit it with some paint. Got it primed, OK, no prob., then I spent quite a bit of time getting the cockpit and sides taped up. I decided to hit with some Pollyscale USSR Underside Blue which I had, but I thinned it too much. I really should not have started this, as it was getting late, and when I initially hit it with the new Badger, & some of it ran under the tape, the result is what you see here!

As you can see, once I realized my error and thickened it up, it sprayed great, and laid down good and flat. Then I removed the tape...uh-oh!

BUT HEY, IT LOOKS GREAT FROM UNDERNEATH!!!!!
:good:

Atually...the pics make it look worse than it is. I used Tamiya tape for the actual edge that you see painted blue, and of course it worked just great, no-prob at all. I then used some old blue painters tape from Lowe's, aka, the cheap stuff, :smack and it allowed the too thin paint to run thru. That last coat was sprayed at almost dark, so I was basically using a flashlight to check the final progress. Everything on this little model has gone so well! This is really just a minor setback, a little 700 grit in the right places should even it out!

1/100 MI-24 Hind

it is looking good I must admit. I hit it with some 700 grit last before bed and I am back got being GTG. Gonna spean all day with the wifey or at church, so no-mo 'till middle on the week...hope to get the upper portion painted next weekend!

1/100 MI-24 Hind

ROCKET PODS & ROTOR BLADES!!!

So as you can see I got most of the small assemblies complete, less the AT-2 Swatter wire-guided missles out on the ends.

Still alot of cleanup and I have to get some correct paint on those wheels and rotor hubs, but it is moving right along!

1/100 MI-24 Hind

Ok so I fer-got to post the pics after I hit it with some 700 grit and a tad more primer, but here it is with one of the final colors on the upper. looks good so far, contrasting well with the blue!

So now you’re thinking “Huh? What’s with the dark color?” Well, I am basically wanting to do hard edge desert camo, so I I have the darker, less dominant color on first, and will follow with the lighter today (hopefully!). At any rate, in case you were wondering, here is what almost three hours of making and applying (+ correcting & reapplying) Tamiya masking tape on a 1/100 Hind looks like:

1/100 MI-24 Hind

Pretty trippy. Might want to make sure you got a good seal on the mask, especially where you got changes in the contours and stuff. If it were bigger I might spray the base coat again so if it leaked it'll leak the base color instead of the next.

:popcorn

1/100 MI-24 Hind

yep, in having done it this way, I now see your wisdom! I have been CAREFULLY going it over & over again, very concerned about those contours and all. I also dee-scovered I did not do a good job at the demarcation between the darker color and the blue underbelly, you can see the problems in the pics before the paint mask.

truth is, I am really doing this the hard way. I have now mixed and applied the first coat of the lighter color and I can see now why you go from lighter to darker, as opposed to how I have applied it! Also, all that crazy camo pattern will look great ultimately (assuming this comes out right) but man it has been a JOB getting all that tape on there!

As I said I have applied that first coat, I am going to give it about 15-20 min and go back out and apply the 2nd. Am trying my best to not be too heavy handed with the paint, as we talked at the last visit.

I have high hopes for this, I am really enjoying the build! I think I may want to later on build the Zvezda 1/72 Hind-A (greenhouse type canopy), I am enjoying this so much! Even if it comes out not so hot, hey, I will have learned a TON of good stuff about build and paint technique, and that is the end goal, right?

Back