• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Your favourite online model store ?

AndyFettes

Master at Arms
Hi all,

Just a query to ask what is your favourite online hobby shop/store
based on varied selection, delivery (both price and speed of), prices etc etc etc .

Andy

I am neither a prolific builder or buyer, but I have used Hobby Easy in Hong Kong and would suggest that they would take some beating when it comes to range, price and service.

The only downsides are the Website, which is often not accessible and always very slow, and also the fact that they supply some product from source, so you have to watch what you are ordering or you may end up with multiple postage charges.

From my experience they ship as soon as they get payment, and in fact my first order arrived in four working days, a day quicker than the email advising that the goods had been shipped!

Regards Dave

Spruebrothers. hands down. I generally get my order before the charge shows up on my credit card.

Mine in no particular order

Aussie:

SouthEastHobbies.com.au (owned by TnT's Pete Bibby - awesome service and prices!)
Firestormmodels.com
EmpireHobbies.com.au

Off-shore:

LuckyModel.com (HK)
HobbyEasy.com (HK)
Modelsforsale.co.uk (UK)
ColoradoMiniatures.com (US)

Modelsforsale.co.uk do new kits as well as 2nd hand stuff, so if you'll looking for OOP stuff they're a good place to start.

Colorado Miniatures has a terrific range of figure products, and Gray's a helluva nice guy to deal with.

A company I haven't bought from (per se) but have dealt with extensively is El Greco Miniatures (some of you may have seen Ross' Boer Kommando by that corp) - Matt and Celine are awesome, with lots of the less mainstream historical miniatures at excellent prices. Regulars at UK shows will know them :)

Sprue Brothers blew me away right before Christmas when I ordered something on a Thursday and the product arrived Tuesday, awesome service! Squadron is another very reliable online source, although they are not always the least expensive. Lucky Model has been hit and miss for me, although they never seem to have ANY trouble getting my PayPal money right on time. I'd order more from them, but I'm not sure I'll live long enough to get all the stuff! And we're NOT talking about items not in stock, I've had an order that shows IN PROGRESS since 12/24/2009. Lucky! :eek:hmy: And yes, I've contacted them, took them 3 days to reply that they would be shipping shortly. :S

In addition to the usual suspects listed above, I also like rjproducts.com (very nice on the phone and they have never failed to get a special order to me), missionmodels.com (their website is slow, but he has a very good selection of aftermarket stuff), accurate-armour.com (one of the best!) and finally, hlj.com

I don't have a favorite online store yet since I bought my stuff in the past of evilbay. But not to long ago I bought something from Sprue Brothers and it was less expensive than Evilbay and I ordered Tuesday night, had shipping confirmation Wednesday morning and the shipment arrived Thursday afternoon, which was quite impressive. So it wasn't the last time I ordered from them.

Joe

kaleu wrote:
missionmodels.com (their website is slow, but he has a very good selection of aftermarket stuff),

I love to hit Missionmodels site but to say it's slow gives credence to slow.

Hobby Easy in HK have always been good for me, although as others have said their website is positively glacial in speed.

Lou Stener in the UK is excellent, as is Historex-Agents.

Being down in West Cornwall, the nearest serious models shops are at least two hours away so reliable mail order is a necessity.

Simon

I'm in The USA and my favorites are:
1.Greatmodels
2.Spruebrothers
3.Pacific Coast
4.Squadon

RE; favorite model store

Hi guys. So it's looking like it is time to get more kits. In the process of finishing up 3 builds and they will all hit at the same time, more or less. I have been eyeballing a site that seems attractive enough but is in Ukraine and they deal in European kits; Alanger,ICM, etc. That's what I want to go to is the kits from that part of the world. The place is called www.plasticmodelstore.com. Anyone had any dealings with that site? They are also on ebay. The wait times understandably will be longer but that won't be a sticking point as long as everything else is good.If anyone here goes to the site be kind enough to tell me if it runs very slow because it sure does for me.
ron edit...I just checked the link and it didn't go where it was supposed to. Will try caps. www.PlasicModels Store.com Try this http://Plastic-Models-Store.com

Re:RE; favorite model store

I, for one, have had it with Lucky Model! Their service is slow, both with shipping and response to inquiries and I will order from them NO MORE!

Sprue Brothers is the way to go in the states, excellent service and fair pricing.

Re:RE; favorite model store

Iron Mike wrote:
I, for one, have had it with Lucky Model! Their service is slow, both with shipping and response to inquiries and I will order from them NO MORE!

Sprue Brothers is the way to go in the states, excellent service and fair pricing.

voice of admin:

by all means of respect i think that slowly we all know that you have issues with LM!

let it rest and please stop to spread this on every occasion!

I use www.rjproducts.com
Rich and Joy are great.
Sometimes I go with Squadron Mail order too.
I will have to ask the guys in our group, they get
stuff from a guy in Hong Kong (Erik Y Y) or something like
that. They claim he has the best prices on some of the stuff
they get???
Shawn

Sprue Brothers is da bomb
Tank Workshop is awesome! Jay is the man
R & J is great!
On Ebay, always had great service from 3deli and Historylives.
Red lancers is awesome as well
Super service from Gary at Colorado Miniatues.

For excellence in service and prompt delivery Squadron take some beating. Lucky Model have excellent prices and Hobby Link Japan could not be more helpful. I've heard very good reports of Sprue Brothers but must admit I have never used them yet.

Back