• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

XX corps M2A1 Bastogne

Great work, buddy. Hope you don't mind another "attaboy" ;) :laugh:

I don't know how I missed the update - oh, wait I do - 'cos 1) you didn't update your blog so I didn't receive a subscription update and 2) it's OD :laugh: :laugh:

I really like those casting numbers you added to the suspension - what did you use? Alpha-nums shaved from part frets? It looks pretty sweet.

Love that field mod stowage box, and what you've filled it with. I need to do something similar on my project.

Rudi

p.s. that OOTB German vehicle was da bomb!

Laura I hope to be 'spittin' later today! Well a primer coat anyway. ;)

Gary, thanks. Slotting the screws is a bit time consuming but I'll try to do a panel in between other assemblies drying time in order to break it up.

Cam, thanks for the encouragement. B)

Rudi, those are from the Archers casting numbers sheet and yes, this build isn't on my blog. I originally started this one for the half track group build so I thought I would keep it here. I might put the finished pictures on the blog when it's done but the next update there will be the M16 diorama progress.

Tony Lee wrote:
NICE Ken :woohoo:

Tony Lee :)

:blush: :blush:

Jeeze Tony,

it appears that in my rush this morning I missed your post, we must have been typing at the same time.

My apologies and thank you.

:blush: :blush:

agentg wrote:
moremoremoremore.

Need I say more?

G

As you wish. ;)

Fitting some stowage on the fenders and a length of chain for the front end.

chain_20100206_1381251024.jpg

Pin retaining chains for the stowage compartment doors.

chains_20100206_1593204498.jpg

The incredible K59 fifty cal I spent an hour or so assembling, around twenty parts so far and I have a few tiny bits of PE left to install.

fitty1_20100206_1482433896.jpg

fitty3_20100206_1442940879.jpg

fitty4_20100206_1652033639.jpg

and lastly, sub assemblies ready for paint. Next time I post pics of this it should be some shade of green at least.

subs_20100206_1937187583.jpg

Till the next time... :D :peace

Ken Abrams wrote:
Rudi, those are from the Archers casting numbers sheet and yes, this build isn't on my blog. I originally started this one for the half track group build so I thought I would keep it here. I might put the finished pictures on the blog when it's done but the next update there will be the M16 diorama progress.

Ken,

Cheers for the casting number info. Just yanking yer crank about the blog ;) Completely understand about the posting origins, but looking forward to more on the M16.

Re. the update: I can't help but admire those pin retaining chains. I realise it's probably just twisted wire, but man that looks great. I wish I had the time and patience to do the fine fiddly stuff you do.

The front fender (as well as that in the stowage box) tarps look just the ticket. Are those tissue? Or cast parts? I sincerely can't tell.

Who are "K59"? You got a website? The 50 cal looks excellent, and definitely the hour (speed freak!) it took to put together.

Later dude

Rudi :woohoo:

Really nice work Ken, as always. I see you worked up the engine block but you have the hood closed. I was planning on my GMC75 not to even bother with the engine, is there an angle somewhere that you can view the engine on the completed model where this needs to be in place? I would hate to get mine put together then look in and see a gaping hole.

Hey Rudi,

The chains are a form of twisted wire but nothing that I've twisted myself. I bought these at a craft store in the beading section. They are some sort of pre-twisted, pre-lengthened 'threading tool/device' or something and come in multi packs. The wire they've used is much more fine than anything I normally come across and give the impression of a very fine chain (to my tired eyes anyway ;) ) and for a buck or two, this package will last for a long time.

Considering this, it isn't as fiddly as it may appear. I just cut to the length I want, quick bend with the tweezers and then attempt to glue on the model...

then repeat again and again as I launch them into the nether regions of the cosmos, until I finally get one to stick, only to have to repeat this three more times. B)

beading_wire2_20100206_1889295101.jpg

beading_wire_20100206_1829768417.jpg

The stowage is a combination of the tissue/white glue technique mixed with some resin stuff from the spares box. I usually use the tissue method for shaping things to the vehicle and then I might press a resin bit into the tissue for a more natural sit, as I'm sure you know, sometimes resin bits tend to float on top if used by themselves.

K59 is a small resin manufacturer that has made some beautiful updates for a few kits, namely two sets on the Dragon half track suspension. They also have an absolutely gorgeous MG42 if you're into that sort of thing. ;)

Don't let the hour it took for me to assemble this gun fool you into thinking I'm that fast, it is all due to the amazingly clean castings, lack of annoying pour blocks and removal and clean up. Most of their kits are small and simple but very well detailed. I'll give the link to their site but it's fairly useless IMO, it shows a few products and has a few links to nowhere. Look on PMMS as Terry has reviewed some of their stuff (including the MG42) as well as announcing their latest releases from time to time.

http://www.k59.hk/main.html

BTW, no worries on the blog banter. B)

Michael, thanks for the comments and encouragement and taking the time to post them.

MoonPup my brother, I mainly build the engine and install it so the exhaust has a place to attach to, otherwise it may sag/hang too low or just float around. If you look closely, you can tell I didn't really clean the parts up and left the air cleaner and other small parts off altogether (like the fan). I would just build it up quick and don't worry about cleaning the parts up, I think you have to attach the fan belt because the motor mount is part of that piece as well. It really makes a difference with the exhaust as there isn't really any other attachments up front.

Back