• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

WWII Pacific Island question...

Jeeves

Just curious if there were any ground troops other than Marines fighting in the Island hopping campaigns...like for instance, for the 105mm that is being carried by my LVT...would the ammo loaders and such be purely USMC?

Sure the army was out there too. I can't find a reference indicating that a 105 was used in a LVT. I'm not saying it didn't happen just I can't find a reference.

:D

That I've got brother ;)
Gators-28.jpg

Gators-27.jpg

Here you find alot of pics, and i think it is both army and marine troops.
http://www.historyplace.com/unitedstates/pacificwar/index.html
//Mats

Are you asking if Army members would be mixed with Marines?

I think that would be rare. Army tanks would support Marines and the other way around. Also works for artillery. You might see them mixed in loading unloading at the beach or something like that.

Hiya Mikey , don't go quoting me on this but the begining of the Pacific campaign - Marines hit the beach and took the island - the Army came ashore and secured said island so the Marines could go get another piece of real estate .
I do believe the island hopping war was solely led by the Marines , McAurther had the army for the Philippene campaign .
The U.S. Army landed on Guadalcanal in Dec. 1942 and fought the remnants of the Japanese , I believe it was the Americal divisions , the ist Marine division withdrew for r&r .
The Okinawa campaign was an Army - Marine affair .
Burma southwest asia - Army .
Lottsa gaps , but in a nutshell that's about it .

Other than the two pics you've got Mike [ which I think are the only two 105mm/lvt pics. ] here's some allied field work for lvts , 37mm , 20mm , 40mm , flamethrowers and even a 25lb'er .

lvt17sb5.jpg

lvt42sy5.jpg

lvt46ks5.jpg

lvt80jk4.jpg

lvt22uo3.jpg

lvt50ty4.jpg

LVT2028229.jpg

lvt33oe2.jpg

lvt30pw5.jpg

Back