• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Wings of the Red Star (2)- Ilyushin IL-2 Sturmovik

Hello again,

I do have the Tamiya model, Christian, but this one (Academy) has more Details in PE and the Engine.

Talking about the engine... it was a breech delivery... :bang head :bang head

Some of the parts were already broken when I opened the box. Very irritating. Nothing left to do but to assemble canibalizing some parts of the kit, which would be discarded anyway. So far it did fit, but let's see what happens when I try to join it in the model. Maybe I am biting more than I can chew... :blush: :blush: :blush:

Here the pics. Lots of Panels and Access. The top is missing, since I Need it open to paint and weather it first:

haf26985.JPG

hebad128.JPG

he4fa5ce.JPG

h416c87f.JPG

hf58f349.JPG

Thanks for looking.

Cheers

Alex

Wow, not exactly a match made in Heaven . Who make's the engine ?

From my past experience, resin parts usually take a lot of grinding and fitting before they fit.

This looks to be pretty ambitious . I hope you can tame it :smack

Cheers, Christian B)

It Comes from a Czech Company called Detail Model in Straznice (www.hobbymodely.cz). Unfortunately a lot got broken in the transport, that is why I had to improvise.

There was a lot of grinding involved, this time under water... it really helped.

I have finished putting it together, now I am on to trying to fill the creases, gaps and other faulty parts. Not easy to mix These resin parts and the kit parts... :angry: :angry:

Cheers

Alex

I am not familiar with their kits at all . The truth is that mixing good plastic and resin is already a bit of challenge .
Does the kit specify that it was made to fit the Academy bird ?

Anyhow, the only glues that will bond the two together ( that I'm aware of ) is super glue or epoxy . Both have a strong smell :idonno

Cheers, Christian B)

Sooo...

It turns out, that I screwed everything up. Completely. Utterly and undeniably.

I just received this amazing book (Thanks for the tip James!)
h5c39afd.gif

h283515e.JPG

and this is what the engine should look like:

he33b463.JPG

Which means, I am starting over. This time the set arrived complete:

h5bb7a0a.JPG

h4f5c0e0.JPG

h7e1664e.JPG

And since I have butchered the first model, it will be assembled now without the PE to look something like this in a Diorama:

h352f9c7.JPG

I will post more soon. Thanks for looking!
he0d0f1a.gif

Cheers

Alex

(y) (y) (y) (y) (y)

I hope the engine guys gave you the replacement seeing as it was a fault of their packing. Watching this closely. Glad that book was of use.
James

Thanks James...

Unfortunately here in Europe it works a bit differently... :angry: :angry:

Since I opened the package (and then saw the parts were broken) there is no refund possible. I should have seen it before opening, of course... :bang head

In any case, it is getting better now. Paint is in, next I will try and assemble this beast.

Cheers

Alex

h7b52086.JPG

hff8ac91.JPG

hed5c560.JPG

hc565724.JPG

h013d0ba.JPG

h1db7573.JPG

h9a7d440.JPG

hbca575e.JPG

Unfortunately here in Europe it works a bit differently... :angry: :angry:

Since I opened the package (and then saw the parts were broken) there is no refund possible. I should have seen it before opening, of course... :bang head

In any case, it is getting better now. Paint is in, next I will try and assemble this beast.

Interesting . With some of the packaging now days, it is sometimes impossible to tell these things until the package is opened.

Are you speaking of the hobby shop owner or the manufacturer ?

I would go straight to the manufacturer myself .

Cheers, Christian B)

Hey Alex, as to the broken parts, if you ever find that they are not repairable, it can sometimes help to contact the manufacturer for replacements. I had a missing resin sprue on an Aires set one time and they were very prompt about getting me the missing part.

On the HPH Catalina I just received there are a couple of parts that are not made quite right that I will be asking for replacements on. Not because of warpage or breakage, but because they have flaws that cannot be repaired.

Thanks Paul

Indeed it would be worth contacting the Company, but very seldom they would provide substitutes - and it Ends up cheaper buying another set. I can always use the scraped engine for a Diorama! :hmmm

Here is the Progress. The engine now fitted perfectly (after a lot of sanding) and it Looks as it should be. It is difficult, but not impossible, working with Resin... Still a lot of sanding and adjusting to do but it is getting there.

The photo sequence also depicts the assembly sequence. The last one Shows the "good" engine besides the "bad" one. Now on to the Sturmovik itself.

Cheers

Alex

hf3b5855.JPG

hc9a74dc.JPG

hb10bf01.JPG

h8cf80f7.JPG

h3ef6edf.JPG

h154972d.JPG

h269e526.JPG

he0cf83a.JPG

Thanks Bob and Christian :notworthy

The engine is ready. I did some preliminary painting, of course I will wait until the rest is ready to finalize the painting + weathering. Considering this was the first time I worked with such resin Details, I don't think it is that bad...

See for yourselves. Now this is the clean Picture mat Bob!

Cheers

Alex

h9b1d13c.JPG

h51b5676.JPG

h2452169.JPG

h8cb68be.JPG

ha11cb01.JPG

And this is the rest of the airplane with most of the PE in place. Only the bombs and the flaps missing.

Cheers

Alex

And this is the rest of the airplane with most of the PE in place. Only the bombs and the flaps missing.

Cheers

Alex

h4e0bd0c_2016-10-02.JPG

h4454c80_2016-10-02.JPG

hc0d49c7.JPG

h478f3ac.JPG

h1562359.JPG

h7e149a5.JPG

h1cc4b1f.JPG

Back