• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

WIldcat vs Val in 1/72

We have something similar here I use it for the final coating in the planes. Applying the gloss with a brush is not a problem I have a special brush for that. I will try on the next model.

Try to find the equivalent of Future . It is more forgiving than anything I have ever used and when you buy a bottle, you'll have a lifetime supply .

Cheaper than any hobby products.

Cheers, Christian B)

Hey Alex, what brand of paint are you using to paint with? I might have a suggestion that could help depending on what paint you are using.

Hi Everyone

Thanks for the comments. I haven't found Johnson's clear, maybe it is just in the UK? Here in Germany I found this product :

h28832b7.JPG

It should work the same, I think, it contains Tenside which works as a fat remover and some wax-like product.

Paul, I use mostly acrylic either from Mr. Color (Gunze Sangyo) or Italeri, a few Lifecolor bottles also.

Adam, I use the normal Tamiya masking tape.

If you have a better suggestion, I am all eyes!

Cheers

Alex

If that product has any kind of cleaner stuff in it I wouldn't use it. The "Future" Floor wax we talk about here in the States is basically an acrylic coating.

As an example some folks "dip" their canopies in it and carefully set them aside (covered against dust) to dry. Gives the clear canopy a real clear glossy smooth finish and tends to hide and cover up small scratches. I have been tempted to work over and coat my Toyota Corrolla headlight lenses with it as they have gotten a bit rough looking.

As to the paint, I was thinking since you use brushes only, you might try Vallejo paints and a wet pallet. Thing is they need a primer over plastic and metal to stick well. Vallejo paints need to be thinned a fair aount to use, but paint on thin. Several coats give a nice thin even coverage (even white) though you do need a clear coat before adding decals.

Really difficult coming up with helpful since you are allergic to airbrush mist.

Maybe you could get a defunct pre-natal unit (big clear box with arm holes) to turn into a paint booth.

I'll keep thinking on this. :hmmm

Oh and for good "pointy" brushes for detail painting, I am finding some of the GamesWorkshop size 0 and 1 brushes work much better than the tiny ones and keep their sharp point (unless you abuse them).

Hi Everyone

Thanks for the comments. I haven't found Johnson's clear, maybe it is just in the UK? Here in Germany I found this product :

h28832b7.JPG

It should work the same, I think, it contains Tenside which works as a fat remover and some wax-like product.

Paul, I use mostly acrylic either from Mr. Color (Gunze Sangyo) or Italeri, a few Lifecolor bottles also.

Adam, I use the normal Tamiya masking tape.

If you have a better suggestion, I am all eyes!

Cheers

Alex

AS Paul pointed out, that ain't it but check this out.

http://www.modellbaufarben.de/

Look to the right on that page.

Thank you so much Bob!!!!!!!! :drinks :drinks

I have searched for this everywhere, and you found it! Now I can have future too!

I guess you really need to leave it to the IT guys... :yipee

Already bought 4 bottles. Should be enough to start.

Really appreciate it.

Paul, your idea of using an incubator is good, but they are not sealed - cannot be, otherwise with the constant pumping of humidity and oxygen they would turn into a pressure cooking pan. Unfortunately the airbrush dilema is almost impossible to solve. Specially now when spring comes around, my asthma gets really bad...

Cheers everyone

Alex

P.S. Bob, how about my badge for the Wildcat???

4 bottles?! Might as well do your floors with it also. I bought one bottle years ago and not even through half of it. You should be covered for a while. (y)

Hey Alex, the incubator is only part 1. Then you cut a hole in one end, add a fan and a shroud for pulling air out. Then it has an adapter to attach a dryer hose. The dryer hose goes to an insert you build to fit in a window.
Instant paint booth.

If the incubator was sealed it wouldn't work.

Here are some pics of my home made paint booth parts.

Here is the back side. The fans and the home made ducting with the hose attached.
PaintBooth-06.jpg~original

Here is what the old ducting looks like after a LOT of spraying. Have had this hose for years.
OldDuct.jpg~original

This is an OLD insert I used to use in my window. I have a newer one that is a small box that fits perfectly. Open the window a bit, insert box (that has weather strip) close window. It can be raining, snowing, cold or hot out and it makes no difference.
PaintBooth-02.jpg~original

Here is the hose attached.
PaintBooth-01.jpg~original

For grins here is the front side of mine. Yours needs to be a whole box.
PaintBooth-05.jpg~original

If done right it should have some negative pressure. Always pulling air from the room. Something to think about?

I tend to think outside the box a lot. Mine is made out of masonite and clear acrylic sheet, with some aluminum extrusion from the hardware store here and there. I finally did away with the filter as it resisted air flow from the fans. What that means is that occasionally I have to wipe down the fan housings and blades. They get a coating of black powdery crud.

I have been finding that Pucket lately has been kind of short on letting photos post. Sometimes it takes a couple of refreshes to the page. The link is posted correct, just not downloading.

I would have built a huge enclosed paintbooth if I were in Alex's shoes. Enclosed box with negative pressure always pulling all the fumes out. If done right shouldn't even have a need for a mask.

(y)

Bob, the bottles of future are sold here with only 100ml. That is the reason for 4 bottles!

Paul, many thanks for your ideas and for sharing your construct. Indeed it is a good idea - if I get it right I can work through the hand inserts and have all the fumes sucked out on another end. It is really something to consider. The wife and I are planning to build a house and I could insert it into the project. Problem is, Germany is one of the most expensive countries to build in the world, and the additional budget might be a reason for discussion.
I will most certainly keep your idea in mind though. Many thanks again!

Cheers

Alex

Alex, I would at least consider having a place for it and building it as you become able .

It will totally change your builds.

Cheers, Christian B)

Bob, the bottles of future are sold here with only 100ml. That is the reason for 4 bottles!

Dang, I made a joke a long time ago on another website about doing just that and I got 4 emails requesting a bottle. Yet another million dollar idea missed. :bang head :bang head

Back