• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Wellington MK III

No doubt. Mine is finished in the Maritime scheme which includes so much white. I thought I would never get to the end of the process. Would have been better off with a rattle can.

Good luck, Christian B)

Damn fine work Gary (y) I only wish model companies would offer removable side panels so one could see all that beautiful interior work when all buttoned up.

Look forward to seeing this one all completed

Primer is on, first color later tonight !
wellington-b35.jpg

Man does this thing ever eat the paint ! :eek:hmy:

OK Houston, we have color...

wellington-b36.jpg

wellington-b37.jpg

I have a dozen places that need touch up due to my apparent lack of sufficient masking but I'm going to plug on with decals first. Going to try to gloss coating only the areas where decals will be and hope I can blend it all in with the flat coat later (fingers crossed)

Baring some last minute disaster, yes. After thinking about it I'm going to go ahead with decals without a clear coat. With careful cutting the only decals that will have any clear film will be the serial number and mission markings which I can apply using future. That alone will save me the prerequisite 24 hour wait time for the clear coat to dry down and will allow me to work on touch ups at the same time. All the fiddly bits are painted and ready to install. Weathering will be limited to some exhaust staining and metal chipping on the few areas where metal was used !

Hi Gary, Have been going thru this thread a couple of times!!! Really great stuff with the interior and the paint is looking good (y) (y)

Randy

Thanks Randy, it's all just out of box stuff, nothing like that master piece you are building !

OK, as of noon today all the stickers are on and all the major touch up work is done. I chose unit markings that did not include mission markings and will represent the kit as freshly arrived from the factory with only minimal weathering. I had some weathering ideas I wanted to try but not at this late date, maybe when the smoke clears away. The plan is to give it a sealing flat coat tonight after work and start unmasking and adding the fiddly bits tomorrow morning. I don't have work tomorrow so I'll have the whole day to plug away at it and part of the day New Years eve if necessary so still plan on making it under the dead line.

wellington-b38.jpg

Damn; Gary, that looks good. The geodetic frame work really pops under the paint. Looks like the real thing. Here's a tip of the hat to you.
UK_Hello.gif

See ya New Years Eve, we seem to be sharing the same boat.

Coming in with 6 hours to spare it's finished :yipee I took a couple bottom photos last night before I started on the top surface stuff cause there was no way I was going to turn this big turkey over again once the top was finished. I did decided to put a bit of mud and exhaust stains on the bottom and muddied up the tires a bit too...

wellington-b39.jpg

wellington-b40.jpg

I had forgotten I had cut the towel rack antenna off the bottom as it was molded to one side of the fuselage and once together blocked access for seam work, of course when I went looking for it, it had vanished so I scratched a new one, bit closer to scale, also added the trailing wire antenna tube which Trumpeter had supplied a hole for but no tube.

wellington-b41.jpg

I had hoped for some sunny weather today to get some natural light shots but the clouds and rain hung on all day so...

wellington-b42.jpg

wellington-b43.jpg

wellington-b44.jpg

wellington-b45.jpg

wellington-b46.jpg

wellington-b47.jpg

wellington-b48.jpg

wellington-b49.jpg

The last thing to be done was install the antennas, of course I could not find my invisible thread (darn stuff would be easier to find if it weren't so invisible) which meant a trip to town to get some. All in all it was an enjoyable build, like most kits it has some aggravating fit issues but over all it was fun. If I was to do another I would not do the interior but this time around I enjoyed researching it even if it can't be seen.

Back